never seen one before

stuartbrierley

went out today at 1pm and got set up on barley stubble under a brolly with the heat (too hot )a desert camo net was placed all around and it just looked like a bail. the 11 decoys i started with were real birds +2 flappers and the pigeons decoyed a treat the first 40 birds all shot with steel for a mates harris hawk then useing hull superfast 6 29grain accounted for anouther 133 11 0f these are for decoys .the bonus of the day is a black woodpigeon see picture the bird is as black as a crow the picture doesnt do it any favours but have you seen or shot one before ?.

pige.jpg

black.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

2 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done result, camo worked well. Never  seen a black pigeon, seen lots of specked white birds over the years. May have come in on a boat ?????

That’s funny 😄 

Good result - well shot.

Well done getting out on a very hot day.

I have a stuffed speckled woodpigeon which I shot in 1990 - never seen one that colour before.

That was a superb bag of Pigeons and out of interest did the bag inclued many young ones ? , the reason I ask is that some people seem to have a lot while others like ourselves have very few.

I have never seen a Black pigeon or even very dark ones come to that so I would say it is a rarity and if it was in better condition it might be worth having it preserved .

Lighter ones do crop up from time to time from a few motteled White feathers to a very light cream colour , only once have I ever seen a pure albino White Wood pigeon , this was at Frost Game in Brockdish many, many years ago , someone had brought it in and it frozen when I saw it and I would imagine it was preserved and not set up somewhere , where ? well that will remain a mystery .

THANKS for posting     MM