Saturday shooting in sunshine and showers.

JDog

There is a new attraction in these parts. Berrybank Amphitheatre was created in recent years by an old friend of mine in honour of his late wife. The venue holds outdoor theatrical performances along with what are euphemistically called ‘tribute bands’. This morning my wife and a friend went for breakfast to hear recitals, piano performances and accompanied singing. I was under instruction to join them later. 

This meant shooting would only be possible this afternoon when showers were forecast.

My companion and I have both been watching pigeons on wires dropping into laid wheat. We watched for a while before deciding to set up on a cross hedge with a strong wind at our backs. This hedge ultimately sheltered us from the worst of the rain which came in bands across the top of these particular Wolds.

After a slow start matters improved. The odd thing is that hardly any pigeons came along the line we had been watching, instead they came from either side before heading for the rotary. On the gusting winds the pigeons were testing targets. We did however manage to shoot fifty in two hours.

We had three spaniels between us and they worked very well in the sodden crop picking up dead birds. We lost very few. All of the picked birds are heading into the food chain as I write this.