Is It Worth Extending Warranties ?

marsh man

Having just bought a car from my local garage the car had the dealers three month warranty on it , on the invoice it had a extra 24 month Platinum warranty that came at a cost of close on £600 , getting home and looking at the jargon on the warranty it stated it have got to be serviced , ( not sure from the main dealer or not ) and a few other bits and pieces , I have never had an extended warranty before and I was asking you wise men if it was really worth it , I can normally find a small garage who are a lot cheaper than a main dealer and £600 would pay for two full services , the car is a Vauxhall Mokka 4 x 4 and is ten years old , so would YOU take out the extended warranty offered by the garage ??      THANKS .

I would be having a look at the small print to see exactly what was covered. 
you will usually find things like clutches, brake and suspension components and the like are not covered. 

if they are then it may be worth considering. 

if not I wouldn’t be having it 

7 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

I wouldn't bother, the vast majority wriggle out of covering repairs in the interpretation of the small print and are a total scam.

I have had two; first a 'non manufacturers' - where as you say, they wriggled out of cover. 

Second was a "BMW approved used car" (on a BMW) that was very good (i.e. covered repair without hassle) and I extended out to 10 years (still have the car at 17 years old).  Covered all repairs due to faults (including replacing ABS brakes controller, DPF filter and various associated bits, and turbo controller parts) which would have been expensive otherwise.  The downside was the work had to be done at BMW dealers who were not easy or convenient to use.  Now use an 'Indy" who are far more helpful.

I was working and doing a significant mileage then.  Now I'm retired I doubt I would take out any 'extra' policy as I do a low mileage and don't need a car every day.

Edited by JohnfromUK

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have had two; first a 'non manufacturers' - where as you say, they wriggled out of cover. 

Second was a "BMW approved used car" (on a BMW) that was very good (i.e. covered repair without hassle) and I extended out to 10 years (still have the car at 17 years old).  Covered all repairs due to faults (including replacing ABS brakes controller, DPF filter and various associated bits, and turbo controller parts) which would have been expensive otherwise.  The downside was the work had to be done at BMW dealers who were not easy or convenient to use.  Now use an 'Indy" who are far more helpful.

I was working and doing a significant mileage then.  Now I'm retired I doubt I would take out any 'extra' policy as I do a low mileage and don't need a car every day.

Many THANKS to you and the above members for your advice and opinions , I was in two minds to cancel the extended warranty when I first saw it on the invoice , I didn't ask for it as it came with the package so to speak , now I have had a bit of time to think it over I am leaning towards doing away with it and to use the money ( £600 ) on two full services when the time come , like you I am also retired but I do use my motor most days for taking the dog out ect , although we have got a decent bus service in the village so I could easily do without a car for a few days if needed . :good:

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Before considering an extended warranty are you aware that legally a dealer is responsible for rectifying any faults on a used car for six months after purchase?

I got the normal three months from the garage and I thought when that expired if I had any problems it was then down to me ??

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

As said read the policy carefully and often there just a rip off they don't cover any expensive parts , If you have got a 3 months warrenty on it take it for a pre mot check see what that throws up and then get it fixed in the time period 

Evening Bob .... I am getting it with a service just done and a new m o t ticket , I am 99% decided to give the extended warranty a miss and use the money to keep the services up to date , at least I will see something for the money I will be saving :good:

On 17/08/2023 at 19:39, marsh man said:

I got the normal three months from the garage and I thought when that expired if I had any problems it was then down to me ??

Do you always believe what car dealers tell you?

Do an internet search for independent advice on your LEGAL entitlement.