Fleas

Lloyd90

Well despite using Seresto tick and flea collars the 2 springers have managed to pick up fleas. 

To be fair they last 7-8 months and I usually don't bother with them over the shooting season so they've normally worn off around this time of year. 

Have ordered 2 new collars but any other tips to clear the little ******* out (The fleas, not the springers!). 

Wash all beds on a hot wash? Get flea powder on the carpets? Anything else? 

5 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

We use the Bravecto tablet that lasts 3 months and that does the trick. Our sprocker picked up fipronil resistant fleas by rolling in a dead fox. Used Bravecto ever since. Only issue is it needs a prescription.

We did the same for similar reasons (in our case ticks) after 2 infestations in a month.  So far no problems after 9 years.

14 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

We use the Bravecto tablet that lasts 3 months and that does the trick. Our sprocker picked up fipronil resistant fleas by rolling in a dead fox. Used Bravecto ever since. Only issue is it needs a prescription.

Did you need to treat your home in anyway? 

6 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

We did the same for similar reasons (in our case ticks) after 2 infestations in a month.  So far no problems after 9 years.

As above. 

With a baby due within the next 2 weeks it’s stressed my wife out a bit. 

Funny enough Lloyd we have been to Pets At Home this morning for some Flea treatment , we had tried the dearer ones and they only lasted a matter of days before the ole boy started to scratch again , yesterday I used some shampoo from the same place and I did see the odd dead one in my hand when I was putting the soappy stuff around the under side of his body , yes it made his coat shine but it didn't cure the problem , today I have bought one tablet as they had ran out of the others so it must be a a bad year for Ticks and Fleas , we also got some different spray as we spray his bedding and the back of my car where he spend a lot of time and some follow up tablets once he is clear of them , I don't think the follow up tablets do a lot if the problem is still under the dogs coat .

GOOD LUCK and can you kindly let me know if you get anything over the counter that really work .     MM

All the pet treatments are very expensive,  and alot of time don't work.  I use BUTOX it's a sheep and cattle pour on. It's a dense type solution,I wear gloves, and  I run a small slither of it from back of neck down spine, and work it in to make sure it on skin. No more fleas or any other type of vermin that would like to use your dog as a home.  VERY good.  A bottle costs €28 that lasts a long time,  that me doing 4 springers. It works! You get this product in a agri store. Pet shops and vets make extortionate amounts of money selling flea treatment (very poor ) and worm tablets.  

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

As above. 

With a baby due within the next 2 weeks it’s stressed my wife out a bit. 

Fleas have been bad this year, fortunately not seemed to bother our 9mth old too much, despite multiple dogs and cats in the household.  Obviously you won't be leaving the dogs unsupervised around the baby anyway.  Hopefully by the time your wee one turns up the weather will have turned colder.  Don't want to drags thread into 'dogs inside or out', but it also helps that our mutts live in the utlilty room and rarely enter other occupied areas of the house.  Great for mum's stress levels too when baby is being...difficult.

As well as advice given by others, regular vacuuming and washing of dog beds to get rid of flea eggs helps.

Another vote for bravecto. It's all I use on many different dogs, never see a flea with it. 

The good thing is, because it lasts at least 3 months in the dogs system, it totally breaks the fleas life cycle. If you already have fleas, treat your dog and allow it access everywhere, any fleas that bite your dog over the next 3 months are dead. Also does ticks for a month

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Picking up some Bravecto tablets tomorrow from the vets. 

Also ordered some flea spray and powder to thrown onto the carpets and furniture. 

I doubt the powder and spray will do much but it’ll keep the wife happy who’s a bit stressed at the moment (understandably). 

You won't regret it Lloyd, it's very good stuff. The other problem with some flea treatments is the product works by getting into the blood and slowly forming a layer on the outer skin, if your dog swims regularly, it can not replenish fast enough as it washes away. Bravecto doesn't have that problem, the only downside is hypothetically, if a dog has an allergic reaction to it,because it stays in he system so long, I would imagine the symptoms could last a long time, but I have seen hundreds of dogs treated with it and never seen a bad reaction yet.

Reading that back, you'd think I was sponsored by them 😂

Edited by 12gauge82

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Picking up some Bravecto tablets tomorrow from the vets. 

Also ordered some flea spray and powder to thrown onto the carpets and furniture. 

I doubt the powder and spray will do much but it’ll keep the wife happy who’s a bit stressed at the moment (understandably). 

Might be a silly question Lloyd , but how did you go about it by getting it from the vets ?

12 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Might be a silly question Lloyd , but how did you go about it by getting it from the vets ?

I just phoned them up and ordered it. 

They said it they haven’t seen my dogs within 12 months they won’t provide a prescription, however the wife takes both of mine for a ‘yearly check up’. 

I tell her it’s nonsense and not needed but it has some upside as they agreed that I don’t need to take the dogs in to be seen for these tablets as they have been seen within the last year, and they can just order them in for me. 

£47.56 for 1 tablet. I think they’re about £22 odd online but you need the prescription first. 

3 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Lloyd firstly good luck with up coming important delivery!  

Thank you 🙏🏻 

14 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

How are you getting on with the fleas Lloyd, eradicated I hope?

I‘m not sure you can tell that fast can you? 

The house has been cleaned several times over, powders thrown over carpets and hoovered over and over. 

Dogs had the meds a few days ago so should be in full effect by now for any new hatchlings. 

The wife has thankfully calmed down a bit. 

The house has been cleaned several times over, powders thrown over carpets and hoovered over and over. 

Dogs had the meds a few days ago so should be in full effect by now for any new hatchlings. 

Hi Lloyd ..     My situation with the flea problem is bang on at the moment but might only be a tempoary reprieve , I gave him two baths with Animology bought from P A H , a flea tablet ( Capstar ) , sprayed all his bedding , carpets and the back of my car , on one of the fleeces where he lay on I did notice a flea and Black droppings so I put it in the Pigeon  freezer for a couple of days and then it went in the washing machine , so far so good and he is on the follow up tablets ( Flea Guard ) each day and hopefully we have got the problem under control :good:

44 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Hi Lloyd ..     My situation with the flea problem is bang on at the moment but might only be a tempoary reprieve , I gave him two baths with Animology bought from P A H , a flea tablet ( Capstar ) , sprayed all his bedding , carpets and the back of my car , on one of the fleeces where he lay on I did notice a flea and Black droppings so I put it in the Pigeon  freezer for a couple of days and then it went in the washing machine , so far so good and he is on the follow up tablets ( Flea Guard ) each day and hopefully we have got the problem under control :good:

The wife gave dogs a good going over with the flea comb earlier and didn’t find a single one on the dogs. 

That’s all good just hoping we get the same now once the next lot spawn! 

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I'll guarantee your dog will be free of live fleas by now and since he's the only host walking around, any hatching out and biting will also be dead. Bravecto really is good stuff.

The wife gave dogs a good going over with the flea comb earlier and didn’t find a single one on the dogs. 

That’s all good just hoping we get the same now once the next lot spawn! 

Fingers crossed you are on a winner and job well done :good:

18 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I'll guarantee your dog will be free of live fleas by now and since he's the only host walking around, any hatching out and biting will also be dead. Bravecto really is good stuff.

That will be my next course of action if I get a reacurrance , are they less of a problem in the colder months ?  :good:

46 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Fingers crossed you are on a winner and job well done :good:

That will be my next course of action if I get a reacurrance , are they less of a problem in the colder months ?  :good:

They're definitely less active during winter and therefore less likely for your dog to pick them up from outside, but if you get an infestation in a warm property, they can cause just as many problems as during summer months.