Storm Ciarán

JohnfromUK

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

WE where just on the border of it and had two days solid rain it was all we needed after the rain last week its going to do a fair bit of damage as the land is saturated and cant take any more 

Sitting here at the moment I can hear the rain hitting our windows so it look like me getting wet once again when my dog need taking out, it have been raining nearly non stop all day and a lot of the minor roads are flooded where the fields cannot take any more rain so it just constantly run off , tomorrow should be a bit calmer but another  wet day when we are shooting on Saturday , this could be a very , very wet Winter .

975 @8.11..................

9 hours ago, marsh man said:

Sitting here at the moment I can hear the rain hitting our windows so it look like me getting wet once again when my dog need taking out, it have been raining nearly non stop all day and a lot of the minor roads are flooded where the fields cannot take any more rain so it just constantly run off , tomorrow should be a bit calmer but another  wet day when we are shooting on Saturday , this could be a very , very wet Winter .

and if the temperature drops with that ammont of moisture in the air.....there will be a heck of alot of snow..........yuck

23 minutes ago, ditchman said:

975 @8.11..................

and if the temperature drops with that ammont of moisture in the air.....there will be a heck of alot of snow..........yuck

Yea there will be a lot of snow and ice as well , yesterday they took the last of the horses off the fields near me as every field had flooded with the dykes overflowed , i bet they won't be sorry to have a dry night under cover , the river have gone over the flood defence at Potter Heigham and water have gone into the Lathams store , the first time for many years and although it have calmed down a bit we are due for another wet day tomorrow .

Also , one of your ole shooting buddies ( Billy Bell ) is 94 tomorrow , the ole boy is doing well   :yay:        MM

Just now, marsh man said:

Yea there will be a lot of snow and ice as well , yesterday they took the last of the horses off the fields near me as every field had flooded with the dykes overflowed , i bet they won't be sorry to have a dry night under cover , the river have gone over the flood defence at Potter Heigham and water have gone into the Lathams store , the first time for many years and although it have calmed down a bit we are due for another wet day tomorrow .

Also , one of your ole shooting buddies ( Billy Bell ) is 94 tomorrow , the ole boy is doing well   :yay:        MM

for a man who used to smoke more that a bloody traction enjine...he is doing very well

23 hours ago, Cranfield said:

Its days like this that I wish I didn't live perched on the cliffs, with an uninterrupted view across the Channel to France.
It was low tide first thing (7am) and we had very high winds, torrential rain and the seas were just white foam as far as we could see.
The tide is now turning and the wind (now 40+mph) and rain has moderated, but the seas are very rough and looking at the radar it seems we are experiencing a lull, with more **** to follow.
Guarantee there will be structural damage and flooding in Kent somewhere.
Its seems to be very concentrated along the southern coast and France.

Bet the rubber boats were going well with a good back wind

18 hours ago, Minky said:

Yep the pressure is now up from 960 ish around lunchtime to 978 just now at 18.52. The STORM was a bit hyped up. Yes it was a bit rough but not that bad.

Channel Islands got smashed.

14 hours ago, marsh man said:

Going to be a horrible wet day's shooting tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Hi Paul   I never did like shooting in the rain and I hate it even more now I am getting on a bit , should be dry till late morning and then the heavy rain set in for the rest of the day , as if we really need anymore :no:

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, a lot of the flooding of homes could have been avoided with better barriers and clean out all the gullies streams and rivers, i read a report of some houses were flooded that had a barrier system but never put in place 🤔 

it would be a lot better if the water board was not sold off 38 thousand water baliffs laid off....locks and weirs dismanteled.....and flood plains built on...

44 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Hi Paul   I never did like shooting in the rain and I hate it even more now I am getting on a bit , should be dry till late morning and then the heavy rain set in for the rest of the day , as if we really need anymore 

Rain from 6am to 1pm is the current forecast from the Met Office in the fair county of Essex.

9 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Rain from 6am to 1pm is the current forecast from the Met Office in the fair county of Essex.

Yes you could well be right Paul , just looked the weather up for tomorrow and most say from about 7am in Yarmouth and the latest one was around 9am till about 3pm, one way or other it look like a wet ole day 

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Hi Paul   I never did like shooting in the rain and I hate it even more now I am getting on a bit , should be dry till late morning and then the heavy rain set in for the rest of the day , as if we really need anymore 

My old man used to say, “it can’t hurt you, there’s no soap in it.”

20 hours ago, Minky said:

Yep the pressure is now up from 960 ish around lunchtime to 978 just now at 18.52. The STORM was a bit hyped up. Yes it was a bit rough but not that bad.

2 hours ago, Penelope said:

I saw the channel Islands storm weather on the news,,, but here... in tropical South West Kent a lot of it seemed to go around us.  Yes it blew and rained but something has surprised me is that local low laying fields and places that flood aren't.   There is the odd area with some flash water but that will soon soak in because the dyke levels are quite low.

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

it would be a lot better if the water board was not sold off 38 thousand water baliffs laid off....locks and weirs dismanteled.....and flood plains built on...

Ah but that was classed as progress along with all of the other sell offs?

No accountability at that level so no one gives a flying fig about the damage caused?

2 hours ago, London Best said:

My old man used to say, “it can’t hurt you, there’s no soap in it.”

Could be some truth in that L B , I swear blind that all the oily fish we ate when we were growing up ,( although some said I never did grow up ) , made the rain run off like a ducks back , that kept me dry but I never got the skin in between my toes :drinks:

On 03/11/2023 at 14:07, Penelope said:

Hi  Paul   First thing this morning when I took the dog out it was a lovely morning although the sky was Red which is never a good sign , leaving mine at 8.30 it was still dry but by nine o clock the first drops of rain had already arrived , changed My Musto coat as it let water in on the arms and put on my ole faithful Barbour Northumbria , like a straight jacket but keep the rain out , our first drive was duck and the heavens open up and it poured of rain , moved on for a Pheasant drive and then a break , we then decided to give dinner a miss and do three more smallish drives and call it a day , as if by magic the two drives after 11s were in heavy rain and then the cloud broke and we finished the last drive of the day in broken sunshine , so another one under our belt . MM