New Laptop

billytheghillie

Going to get a new laptop on black Friday deals. Looked at some at Currys, are they okay to deal with? Have budget of £300. Also what virus/ threat protection do i need as they will likely try and flog me one, is there any free ones? Please talk in laymans terms as i am a auld *** and not computer literate. Thanks.

If you want good security and a simple laptop and don't do heavyweight spreadsheets, photoshop, gaming etc then i'd suggest you look at a Chromebook.

I'm ex IT and for everyday use, streaming, browsing, etc you'll should get a better Chromebook laptop than a Microsoft Windows laptop or Apple.

Hope this helps

2 hours ago, B391 said:

If you want good security and a simple laptop and don't do heavyweight spreadsheets, photoshop, gaming etc then i'd suggest you look at a Chromebook.

I'm ex IT and for everyday use, streaming, browsing, etc you'll should get a better Chromebook laptop than a Microsoft Windows laptop or Apple.

Hope this helps

Thats just all i use it for, Thanks for that.

Laptops.. old school daarrling.  It depends on what your doing with it. I don't think that you are the sort of bloke that is up to the axles in databases or spreadsheets.   I've got a 28inch imac, a couple of laptops AND A SAMSUNG A7 PAD. And a lot of the time I use the pad for most things. Don't bother with the insurance.  The laptop is a weight and HOT.

3 hours ago, B391 said:

Hope this helps

Totally agree and it’s simple to use 

got a new laptop from currys and in september and decided to go with vodaphone for a change in broad band and land line .through currys ,its now November and to cut a very long story short i,m still not online and landed up with BT plus two dongles one from o2 and one from ee ,,its a nightmare ,laptop is ok a lenovo,300 odd quid but dont take any other deal from them,just buy the laptop ,maybe insurance thats up to you,also i use bitdefender security which i pay for as free stuff is rubbish,also have a vpn from bitdefender,

I bought a Mac Mini from Costco that has arrived today. My lad has a job doing editing for YouTubers (just started) but is going away to Norway  on Friday for 11 days and is going to take it with him as he will have access to a screen and keyboard/mouse and will be the equivalent of his Windows system so he can do some while away

i am hoping he likes it and switches as it will reduce his energy usage of his tower!!

Went through same motions earlier in the year and ended up going with Stone Refurb for a used A+ condition

Lenovo ThinkPad L380 Yoga - Intel Core i5-8250U - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD - Win 11 Pro for just under £215

Suits my needs and replaced previous Lenovo Thinkpad from curry's that cost over £500 some 10 years or so previous