Lost technology

Minky

Her, of higher authority decided that we were going to redecorated the living room.  In the process  cupboards and shelves were emptied out to move these units.  In amongst these there were LOTS of vhs videos cds ( Disney type stuff ) now our kids don't want them and neither do any of the charity shops.  They don't want books, picture frames. In fact they don't want much of anything.  Now in amongst all this tech there must be videos , photos and all sorts of family stuff that will be lost to the tips etc now stuff is on hard drives , memory sticks and chips of all sorts. As going, going gone

5 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Yes folks can still read the Dead Sea Scrolls just by looking at them yet not read a document saved but just over a decade ago to a 3.5" floppy disc because the machines that do have all gone to the tip!

Seems, 100+ in the last month, are reading them on floppy :lol:1852483747_Screenshot_20231201_051519_SamsungInternet.jpg.ec8f682755976e9e82b9388e74dcae98.jpg

Edited by Newbie to this

Sign of the times with DVDs. The other half and myself usually rent a cottage out for our holidays and we used to take our own DVDs. However lots of places now don't provide a DVD player( normal or blueray) anymore as people just stream their own media these day's 

I still have a VHS and combined DVD player. I have some great footage of shoots I have been on, taken by a friend that came to pick up, but who also operated the video camera. I have had a lot of Family stuff and some shoots put onto DVD, but there are still a couple of VHS tapes left. I recently bought 3 Paul Young fishing DVD'S as a boxed set, they still make occasional good viewing. I won't mention my vinyl collection  !

On 01/12/2023 at 12:56, Bigbob said:

At the charity shops it used to be a £1 a dvd , then 5 dvds for a £1 sally army last week 15 dvds for a £1 has everybody moved to blue ray and dvds are old news now ?.

Betamax...VHS.....BLUE RAY CD's. Old-school daarrling. As a result of redecorating a large collection of VHS tapes from the time of our kids have been consigned to the bin. Shame but no one want them. I asked the Mrs...how much did we spend on this lot. ???? 

Somewhere I have a betamax recorder + tapes, a VHS +a lot of tapes and a handful of the floppy discs and the smaller 1.44mb plastic bodied floppy discs.  All of the 35mm film cameras. This last year I  bought a new micro 4/3 rds digital camera.  I do have a Sony digital video camera that runs a small CD.  It was a lot of money.  Top of the range at that time.  6 months later hard drives had made it semi redundant. Modern mobile phones take good images and video... but they ain't the same as a dedicated camera.  It's like having a jcb digger.  It was designed to dig holes and move soil.  You could put the Mrs and kids on a sofa in the bucket but it ain't what it was designed for. The march of technology is relentless. As is fashion

On 02/12/2023 at 20:49, Minky said:

Somewhere I have a betamax recorder + tapes, a VHS +a lot of tapes and a handful of the floppy discs and the smaller 1.44mb plastic bodied floppy discs.  All of the 35mm film cameras. This last year I  bought a new micro 4/3 rds digital camera.  I do have a Sony digital video camera that runs a small CD.  It was a lot of money.  Top of the range at that time.  6 months later hard drives had made it semi redundant. Modern mobile phones take good images and video... but they ain't the same as a dedicated camera.  It's like having a jcb digger.  It was designed to dig holes and move soil.  You could put the Mrs and kids on a sofa in the bucket but it ain't what it was designed for. The march of technology is relentless. As is fashion

Yep, all to transfer your money into their accounts whilst removing any chance of the product being reworked? Called wear dating?

If you keep the VHS tapes for long enough they’ll become collectors items for some eccentric individuals.

The nature of electronics is that they have very short life spans as they’re constantly replaced by superior technology. Fortunately, a good old book is timeless and will never become obsolete.