BIT OF A DISASTER.

DUNKS

Just been banned from shooting black powder at my local clay ground. The excuse being noise! I really enjoyed shooting my old hammerguns all of which are only proofed for the black stuff. Other shooters usually very interested in the guns and end up doing more talking than shooting, a social thing. Cant do this cant do that, time to pack it all in methinks. Lovely Christmas present.

43 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Just been banned from shooting black powder at my local clay ground. The excuse being noise! I really enjoyed shooting my old hammerguns all of which are only proofed for the black stuff. Other shooters usually very interested in the guns and end up doing more talking than shooting, a social thing. Cant do this cant do that, time to pack it all in methinks. Lovely Christmas present.

That's a shame.  My local ground used to do a muzzle loaders day and it was always popular.  They don't (as far as I know) now do it, but mainly because those who were keen and did the organising have either moved or 'aged'.

6 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Go to Yeavely once a month. Dedicated BP shoot after the regulars have finished.

19 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Wait till lead shot is banned as steel shot cartridges to me sound considerably louder than lead shot or black powder, due i assume for the need for speed to make steel shot work.

37 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Wait till lead shot is banned as steel shot cartridges to me sound considerably louder than lead shot or black powder, due i assume for the need for speed to make steel shot work.

But I wont be able to shoot steel through my old Damascus barrels anyway so I am stuffed either way up.

Such is life.

5 hours ago, Westley said:

Can you not locate a local 'muzzle loaders Club'  ?  I know of one in Merseyside that meet every week. They are not all muzzle loading shooters. I know what you are saying about going as and when you feel like it, but going to a regular shoot is better than not shooting.

I have looked. Nothing really local.

Let's throw a bit of logic in to this discussion;

If a ground thinks it might face noise pollution troubles and by stopping the use of BP Guns, reduces the noise footprint and in doing so allows the ground to remain open for the majority of shooters who shoot conventional cartridges.

Is it any wonder that the boom boys have been asked to stop?

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If a ground thinks it might face noise pollution troubles and by stopping the use of BP Guns, reduces the noise footprint and in doing so allows the ground to remain open for the majority of shooters who shoot conventional cartridges.

I just knew you would have the answer.

On 20/12/2023 at 13:04, DUNKS said:

Other shooters usually very interested in the guns and end up doing more talking than shooting, a social thing.

I fear this may be part of their concern, they make on clays not footfall.

How far is Millride from you, they have a couple of (I believe) BP guys doing stuff on "special" days from what I recall.

3 hours ago, manthing said:

I fear this may be part of their concern, they make on clays not footfall.

How far is Millride from you, they have a couple of (I believe) BP guys doing stuff on "special" days from what I recall.

Too far I fear. Yes "special days" are available at quite a few grounds.

On 24/12/2023 at 07:02, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A bit like the 32grm shooters who usually get away with it