More moon madness.

edenman

The tide plays a big part where we shoot the geese on the foreshore. With the moon past the full the tide gets later and later. It was bang on 3am this particular night/morning.

The prognosis wasn’t that great as we walked on. Very little noise of geese were heard. But as we all know there could be 5k of pinks in front of you but you’d never know. A small part of the allure of wildfowling.

There was fowlers also out who seemed to be having success as there shots came down river towards us. We jealously waited our turn. It turned out to be a long wait.

However our patience was rewarded in a magical 30min spell before high tide as pinks flooded over us. My friend was in the hot spot and accounted for 5, 2 for me.

By the time we walked off and drove home I gratefully crawled in to bed at 5am.

IMG_1690.jpeg.e3e3d94ab155e08f958e82b84b1a170f.jpeg

11 hours ago, edenman said:

The tide plays a big part where we shoot the geese on the foreshore. With the moon past the full the tide gets later and later. It was bang on 3am this particular night/morning.

The prognosis wasn’t that great as we walked on. Very little noise of geese were heard. But as we all know there could be 5k of pinks in front of you but you’d never know. A small part of the allure of wildfowling.

There was fowlers also out who seemed to be having success as there shots came down river towards us. We jealously waited our turn. It turned out to be a long wait.

However our patience was rewarded in a magical 30min spell before high tide as pinks flooded over us. My friend was in the hot spot and accounted for 5, 2 for me.

Very well done 👏 

15 hours ago, edenman said:

👍 looks like it's paid off well 

52 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Excellent result and the old saying , you only get out it what you put in it is never a truer word spoken .

Well done on all accounts and your post might well encourage some other wild fowlers who are thinking of giving it go under the moon to at least give it a try .  HAPPY NEW YEAR .

I agree with you. You have to be in it to win it!

3 hours ago, vlakvark said:

Nice write up. Very few true wildfowlers around with the dedication and patience to flight geese under the moon on the foreshore! Well done on a very successful flight! Best wishes for 2024!

Nah don't agree 99% of fowlers just get on with it and don't bother broadcasting it

10 hours ago, m greeny said:

Nah don't agree 99% of fowlers just get on with it and don't bother broadcasting it

I'm nearly 85 but I still have very fond memories of often being out all night, often with Sid Wright the fowling guide, on the Wash marshes.   That was back in the sixties.  Kenzie was still at it too.   It still goes on but fowlers are, in the main, people who do things and don't bother much about telling the whole world about it over the internet.   Now I am reduced to being a keyboard fowler but still get up at silly o'clock to go stalking - Do you know what time it gets light in the middle of the summer?   There are shooters and there are hunters.   I have always been one of the latter. 

51 minutes ago, edenman said:

That’s me told then, silly me for trying to stimulate the fowling page here!

Thats this shooter signing out….

Can't speak for others but in no way was my reply a Dig at yourself for posting your excellent results in fact it was the opposite. It was refreshing to see you Threads and i personally enjoy/enjoyed reading yours. I'm sure you would agree in general us Wildflowers are a lonely secretive bunch and when we do post ( as you done) we give nothing away. 👍👍

58 minutes ago, edenman said:

What a shame , you can fully understand why wildfowling forums are falling apart , not everyone is really interested in what guns to use , cartridges chokes and so on , I like reading how others go about hands on with the sport of fowling , yours was an enjoyable post and I would had loved to had been there as I have been lucky enough to had been in similar situations many times and I can assure you 99.9 of the times I had been by myself , so where are these people who keep it all to themselves ????

GOOD LUCK and I hope you have a change of heart , HAPPY NEW YEAR 

@edenman I do hope you continue to post about your exploits, I would do but I’ve not had the best of seasons so far. 

I lost my Labrador last year, my son has kindly let me take one of his spaniels this season but to say it’s not the same would be an understatement, only the other day we were out, he got cold and eventually wouldn’t budge so….

IMG_5309.jpeg.4176dba3a77f9062540a787faab4983e.jpeg

the only thing I carried off the marsh in my hold-all for 1.5 miles was the dog 😭😆 so TRUST me when I say it’s nice to read on here some successful outings. 👍

3 hours ago, edenman said:

Edenman, I never intended to imply that I had not enjoyed reading your story.   Probably I could have worded it better.   I have been a member of PW for many a year.   I was instrumental, by way of a plea to Teal, in getting a section for fowlers added to the site.   In the early days it was pigeons only.   Now it includes stalking, game shooting and many other things.   I think that the older members will back me up when I say that I would never deliberately shoot a man down for telling us how he enjoyed his days/nights sport.   I sincerely apologise if I upset you.   Above all, keep posting about fowling.   If I can no longer get there I can enjoy reading about it.

2 minutes ago, Grandalf said:

Edenman, I never intended to imply that I had not enjoyed reading your story.   Probably I could have worded it better.   I have been a member of PW for many a year.   I was instrumental, by way of a plea to Teal, in getting a section for fowlers added to the site.   In the early days it was pigeons only.   Now it includes stalking, game shooting and many other things.   I think that the older members will back me up when I say that I would never deliberately shoot a man down for telling us how he enjoyed his days/nights sport.   I sincerely apologise if I upset you.   Above all, keep posting about fowling.   If I can no longer get there I can enjoy reading about it.

No need to apologise I think I was being overly sensitive.

cheers 

2 hours ago, edenman said:

👍 cheers Boyd.

Have a very good New Year 🍻🤝 i wish you many flights with success from now till February 20th . Next time you post make sure you're successful spot can be seen by Pictures and give a detailed description 😂🤣 only joking keep posting and knocking em down 👍👍 

6 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Have a very good New Year 🍻🤝 i wish you many flights with success from now till February 20th . Next time you post make sure you're successful spot can be seen by Pictures and give a detailed description 😂🤣 only joking keep posting and knocking em down 👍👍 

Again cheers Boyd!