How many Grey Squirrels killed in 2024 (3136 in 2023)

Mice!

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two today. Oddly together in the same one cage trap. A mature male and a small male so we reckon that the large chased the small one in and both then were caught. Female in cage trap last week. So far sixteen this year. All trapped with fourteen being over maybe eight weeks then it all went quiet so reckon this is a new lot moved in to take up the vacant territory. They all get head shot in the trap with a .177 BSA PCP.

Edited by enfieldspares

6 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Two today. Oddly together in the same one cage trap. A mature male and a small male so we reckon that the large chased the small one in and both then were caught. Female in cage trap last week. So far sixteen this year. All trapped with fourteen being over maybe eight weeks then it all went quiet so reckon this is a new lot moved in to take up the vacant territory. They all get head shot in the trap with a .177 BSA PCP.

So that makes

16 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

They all get head shot in the trap with a .177 BSA PCP.

I'm not a fan of trap dispatch with a full power .177, I've done it and found they bounce all over the place,  .22 for me, a pistol would be better 👍

Shot 11 this morning 

1249 + 11 = 

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

I'm not a fan of trap dispatch with a full power .177, I've done it and found they bounce all over the place,  .22 for me, a pistol would be better 👍

That's interesting. I bought a Westlake .177 and a Westlake .22 to try. Both wouldn't even penetrate the skull at all but touching bar 1" distance. In the BSA Scorpion PCP air rifle I use Bisley Magnum in the .177 which is a heavy for calibre pellet. It penetrates but does not exit the skull. I shoot down into the top of the head just about between the ears.The rifle is set at a tested and regulated 11.50 ft/lbs. 

3 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

BSA Scorpion PCP air rifle I use Bisley Magnum in the .177 which is a heavy for calibre pellet. It penetrates but does not exit the skull. I shoot down into the top of the head just about between the ears.The rifle is set at a tested and regulated 11.50 ft/lbs. 

I'm amazed they don't go clean through at that range,  that's my issue with trap dispatch and .177.

There's a great video on YouTube showing trap dispatch with a comb and a .22 Crossman pistol

Another this afternoon 

Two more trapped today

I use a Crosman .22.-  I think its a vertical shot downwards that doesn’t result in an immediate kill as the brain is pretty thin there. A shot to the side of the brain is very effective and exits through the other side.

Total 1270