Decent PCP scope recommendations

Big Al

A chance upgrade from my old springer to my first precharged air rifle has left me looking for a half decent scope for it.

The one I had on the springer is cloudy, battered and bruised. Plus the magnification isn't enough for my aging eyes.

Are there any recommendations? I don't mind spending for the right scope but air rifle shooting is not something I will be doing a huge amount of. Plinking and vermin control will be it.

You don't need a dogs danglies scope for a PCP, it's totally recoilless so something built like a tank is not needed. I like Nikko Stirling but Hawke have a very good reputation for customer service, I would suggest also considering the size of gun you are putting the scope on - there are some tiny PCP's out there and mounting something akin to the the Hubble space telescope is going to look daft. Scopes I have been amazed by are the NS Gameking (if you can find one) or the Panamax range. Best to have a look through as many as you can as your eyes may be better suited to some rather than others. I would happily buy used, you get more value for your money.

hello, There is no need to spend a lot of money for a PCP scope, my Hawke scope only cost £70 with free mounts, or look at the Vantage range, they also have a good diopter adjustment for eye sight, 3x9 or 4x12, x 40. i prefer mil dot or half mil dot, i do not bother with AO but if you going to use a night vision add on look at a side focus although it will be a tad more expensive, Hawke have a lifetime warranty, optics ware house have some good deals on now

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

35 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

As above I definitely  recommend  something like a 4 - 12 x 50  hawke scope .a vantage  or fast mount  version will be more than enough magnification  and quality  for over 90 % of any shooting you could think of .

Something like this?

https://countrywaygunshop.co.uk/product/hawke-fast-mount-3-9x50-ao-ir-mil-dot-rifle-scope-mounts/

Best to have a look through as many as you can as your eyes may be better suited to some rather than others. I would happily buy used, you get more value for your money.

this is the main thing if possible,  there are a lot of different reasons out there, some are too fine others too thick, all depends on what suits you 👍

I have a BSA (modern made) 'scope on my BSA Scorpion T-10. The Essential 3-9x40. The only thing I did was straightaway replace the included two piece mounts with a Sportsmatch one piece mount. Neither it nor the one piece mounting has never let me down. And cost me under £40 (plus the cost of the one piece mount) at the time some twelve years ago. My advice is do the job right from the off and get the best quality mounts that you can and IMHO get a premium quality one piece mount.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p102717-bsa-essential-3-9x40-rifle-scope-includes-mounts-551/

Edited by enfieldspares

9 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

My advice is do the job right from the off and get the best quality mounts that you can and IMHO get a premium quality one piece mount

Good advice. 
But a little contradictory: Sportsmatch mounts are definitely not the best mounts you can get. But they are probably the cheapest mounts that are worth buying.

hello, What PCP are you thinking of getting Big AL ?? another point on scopes is the diopter adjustment, i do not like using glasses to shoot so my scopes are about plus 5 minus ??, one of my scopes is maxed out but i got over that very easy by utilising a magnification lens

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

It is good advice, and advice I would like to follow. My issues are that I know next to nothing about optics and in my experience,  asking a shop will result in them selling you what they had most of, what they have in stock, or what they are looking rid of. This is why I am asking on PW.

If I said that my budget is around £120 for scope (and mounts if necessary) are there any standout recommendations?

Oldpigeonpopper, there are indeed some great deals in that sale! Thanks.