My new toy

ditchman

got my new toy yesterday ...a big George Foreman grill with flat or tilt function........

i will try it tomorrow ...i have 2 boned out chicken thighs that are marinadeing in a mix of greek yogurt ...rough ground tandorri spice...lemon zest lemon juice and a bit of oil extra crushed chilis and black pepper and a tad of maldon salt.....

so i will slap them in the grill ..skin up...(where have i heard that before)....with chopped onions sliced chilis and a flatterned out red sweet pepper

served with basmati rice and a cut lime

might be a total disaster ..............

I had one of those.  It's now in the cupboard next to the sandwich maker, filter coffee thing, nespreso coffee thing, bread maker, a toaster that cooks beans as well etc. The only thing that I've tried and still use is the air-fryer.

1 hour ago, Robden said:

I had one of those.  It's now in the cupboard next to the sandwich maker, filter coffee thing, nespreso coffee thing, bread maker, a toaster that cooks beans as well etc. The only thing that I've tried and still use is the air-fryer.

this is what people keep telling me......i do hope i havt made an awful mistake

hello, which model did you get Simon, i bought one when they first came out and now have a 2nd one by GF , i always clean the plate while still warm, good for bacon,sausages, and burgers, chicken is always in the slow cooker, my son has just bought a microwave that air fries and oven, 🤔

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

2 hours ago, Robden said:

Same here, we have an Air Fryer and a Multi Cooker and, between the 2, they cover 90% of our needs. Air Fryer chicken is the best but breast meat can dry out so I put about 1/2 cup of boiling water in the bottom of the fryer before cooking.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, which model did you get Simon, i bought one when they first came out and now have a 2nd one by GF , i always clean the plate while still warm, good for bacon,sausages, and burgers, chicken is always in the slow cooker, my son has just bought a microwave that air fries and oven, 🤔

Let us know how you get on with your new Toy 🤔👍

4 hours ago, Robden said:

It's now in the cupboard next to the ...........

I have a cupboard like that.  the things I use regularly (apart from the obvious like kettle and toaster) are;

1. Vac pac/seal machine
  2. Kenwood mixer (and a couple of attachments like food processor and mini mill occasionally)
  3. Bamix blender and mini grind/chop attachment - great for soups, whipped cream and grinding spices
  4. Nespresso pod coffee machine (not used very much)

In the cupboard are;

1. Griddle/toasted sandwich maker (used occasionally)
  2. Air fryer (rarely used - too much effort to clean)
  3. Milk frother (used for visitors - I don't take milk in coffee)
  4. Deep fryer (very rarely used and costs a fortune in oil)
  5. Magimix food processor (Kenwood attachment is better)
  6. Various Kenwood attachments including mincer (used occasionally for pheasant burgers etc.), Spiraliser (near useless), dicer (works well if making a big batch)

The profusion of Kenwood attachments either came with it, or were bought second hand.  I also occasionally use a microwave and a bread maker.

Edited by JohnfromUK

the reason i bought it is 

1. my grill (electric) is useless
  2. my grill takes too long to heat up
  3. for small ammounts of food the oven is an expensive option
  4. i have to bend down to use the oven
  5. the GF grill acts like an oven with the lid down (if the food is not too thick
  6. it can wet cook and dry cook
  7. i can use less oil
  8. burgers (big thick ones bought ones) can be flatterned out and treated like steak
  9. i can do silly stuff like bacon wrapped asparagus
  10. motzarella and parma ham paninis
  11. i can do snacky stuff

and several other things

any way we will see later on today...have just checked the chicken supperating in the fridge ..looks as if it has gone nuclear in colour and taste

"stand by for action"

Are you able to operate it under a cooker hood that vents to outside?  One of the problems I always have is that although my main cooker is under a hood that vents externally, any other device I use (air fryer, grill, toastie maker, microwave etc.) vent steam/cooking smells into the air and the kitchen begins to smell like a chippie.

My main cooker has hood thet exhausts outside over an induction hob and so (in theory anyway) I can use (say) an air fryer on the hob under the hood.  In the past there has been no 13A socket conveniently in reach, but I have recently had an extra socket added to make this possible.  My air fryer makes an amazing amount of hot smokey/steamy exhaust - which I hate in the kitchen and it escapes through to the rest of the house.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Are you able to operate it under a cooker hood that vents to outside?  One of the problems I always have is that although my main cooker is under a hood that vents externally, any other device I use (air fryer, grill, toastie maker, microwave etc.) vent steam/cooking smells into the air and the kitchen begins to smell like a chippie.

My main cooker has hood thet exhausts outside over an induction hob and so (in theory anyway) I can use (say) an air fryer on the hob under the hood.  In the past there has been no 13A socket conveniently in reach, but I have recently had an extra socket added to make this possible.  My air fryer makes an amazing amount of hot smokey/steamy exhaust - which I hate in the kitchen and it escapes through to the rest of the house.

yup ..its right under the mnew cooker extractor i had installed.........

i will find out i a few minuits

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Let us know how you get on with your new Toy 🤔👍

well it all turned out good....6-7 mins  and the chicken was 

1. chared on the outside
  2. well cooked inside
  3. very moist
  4. and very tender

next time i will order up from amazon a bag of hickory sawdust ..mix a teaspoonful with water to make a paste and smear it on the top part of the grill so it will smake and infused a wood BBQ'd taste to it......i will do that when i do chicken and chips and burgers,,,

yup a sucsess

P1010010gf.jpg

P1010011gf.jpg

P1010013gf.jpg

P1010012gf.jpg

34 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Looks like it went well Simon, they cook steaks well but they need turning over a few times to cook evenly 

im going to do a steak sometime...but i will split it in 2 peices...so it is like a frying steak....salt and black pepper rub ..leave for a while then slap in for maybe 3 mins...

onions and stuff i will fry in a small pan with mushrooms...so it dosnt "steam up" in the grill...

38 minutes ago, ditchman said:

im going to do a steak sometime...but i will split it in 2 peices...so it is like a frying steak....salt and black pepper rub ..leave for a while then slap in for maybe 3 mins...

onions and stuff i will fry in a small pan with mushrooms...so it dosnt "steam up" in the grill...

Your getting a gourmet cook simon , 👍

4 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Looks good, i see you are still using that expensive rice, man up and get making your own, save you a fortune.

I've tried just about everything I can to make rice in my Rice cooker, always comes out stodgy and stuck together at the bottom, cheaper than microwave Rice yes, but I'm failing miserably somewhere along the line.

4 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I've tried just about everything I can to make rice in my Rice cooker, always comes out stodgy and stuck together at the bottom, cheaper than microwave Rice yes, but I'm failing miserably somewhere along the line.

Put your required amount of rice in a saucepan of boiling water,,,, lid on, bring back to the boil,,,, turn off heat, leave for 9 or 10 minutes,,,, as simple as that 😉

6 minutes ago, JKD said:

Put your required amount of rice in a saucepan of boiling water,,,, lid on, bring back to the boil,,,, turn off heat, leave for 9 or 10 minutes,,,, as simple as that 😉

Wrong, secret to perfect basmati rice is to rinse it well until water is clear, 1 measure of rice to 1 and a half measure of COLD water, bring to boil, when boiling turn down to lowest heat for 12 minutes. DO NOT TAKE LID OFF POT AND STIR. After 12 mins set aside to steam for a few mins, fluff up and serve, SIMPLES!

2 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Wrong, secret to perfect basmati rice is to rinse it well until water is clear, 1 measure of rice to 1 and a half measure of COLD water, bring to boil, when boiling turn down to lowest heat for 12 minutes. DO NOT TAKE LID OFF POT AND STIR. After 12 mins set aside to steam for a few mins, fluff up and serve, SIMPLES!

No, I'm not wrong,,,, neither are you 👋😁