Farmers protests across Europe

old'un

A lot of the smaller farmers (200 acre or less) are struggling, a few I know are thinking of selling up, speaking to one such farmer the other week and he’s been approached by an energy company to turn most of the land over to solar panels, he’s just waiting for planning now.

Wonder if this will spill over into the UK?...https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-68126373

I think Scotland are starting to but not on the same scale as France and Germany. Mate of mines just got nearly half his farm given the okay for solar. Farming just isn't paying. So he has to change tactic. Atleast solar keeps the land as land, not tarmac and bricks.. he will still run a flock of sheep 

Youngsters seem to think that food on the shelves is magic with few wanting to go into farming. with everything stacked against the small farmer it’s a lot of hard work for little remuneration and risks outside your control can wipe any small profit out!  

Always thought a farmers cooperative may help smaller producers!

Agriv8

I would have thought it obvious that the Net Zero requirements would mean that vast swathes of the countryside would be turned over to solar to enable those goals to met. It either wasn't figured or isn't cared that the result of that policy would mean that food production would be off shored as a result. Low market rates for produce and ever decreasing subsidies have ensured that farmers are left with little choice but to diversify with green energy being one of the better paying and zero risk options. 

We only have so much land and we have to choose between growing food or generating energy. 

Parts of the land on which our game syndicate takes place are due to have solar panels installed meaning that no shooting will take place during the installation and any shooting after will be limited to areas that aren't near to the solar panels. It's quite concerning (to shooters only obviously) as they are due to be installed on the better parts of the shoots where all of the pens and drives are currently located. 

I'm not sure why off shore solar hasn't become as popular as off shore wind. Millions of acres of the surface of the water in UK territorial waters that are just sat there doing nothing. The installations would need to be quite robust and designed for off shore use but it can be done and should be done in preference to turning over farmland from food to energy production. 

2 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

I would have thought it obvious that the Net Zero requirements would mean that vast swathes of the countryside would be turned over to solar to enable those goals to met. It either wasn't figured or isn't cared that the result of that policy would mean that food production would be off shored as a result. Low market rates for produce and ever decreasing subsidies have ensured that farmers are left with little choice but to diversify with green energy being one of the better paying and zero risk options. 

We only have so much land and we have to choose between growing food or generating energy. 

Parts of the land on which our game syndicate takes place are due to have solar panels installed meaning that no shooting will take place during the installation and any shooting after will be limited to areas that aren't near to the solar panels. It's quite concerning (to shooters only obviously) as they are due to be installed on the better parts of the shoots where all of the pens and drives are currently located. 

I'm not sure why off shore solar hasn't become as popular as off shore wind. Millions of acres of the surface of the water in UK territorial waters that are just sat there doing nothing. The installations would need to be quite robust and designed for off shore use but it can be done and should be done in preference to turning over farmland from food to energy production. 

Just cant understand why solar is simply not on the roofs of all the new mega factories - warehouses etc etc 

Have them in the fields near us and its a bio desert 

4 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Just cant understand why solar is simply not on the roofs of all the new mega factories - warehouses etc etc 

I would assume that there is no requirement for new builds to be covered in solar as this would remove the need for them to supplied with (as much) electricity commercially. Despite the almost cult like following that Net Zero seems to have by government I'm sure there is still a lot of lobbying going on to ensure that no matter what the energy companies still get their big fat slice. It would also be hard for government to tax self generated energy and I imagine that a government applying a tax to those who are going with the narrative simply because the government is otherwise losing out on income wouldn't be very popular. 

Having pre-installed solar and battery storage facilities in all new builds going forward would go some way towards lessening our need for industrialised energy production and also go some way towards solving the issue that is the limited grid capacity we have. 

5 hours ago, jall25 said:

It also baffles me, how many houses are in this country, warehouses, shopping centres... Theist goes on. Could be putting them on any roof .. makes no sense why they are not.

5 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

I’ll give you just one example of why not….  Cleaning ( cost of )

simple on land, a bloke with a squeegee and bucket of soapy water.  At sea, or even a resevoir / lake, means boat, safety equipment, more than 1 person.  If it was cheap n easy the water companies would have smothered the resevoirs, very few have.

4 hours ago, Red696 said:

I’ll give you just one example of why not….  Cleaning ( cost of )

simple on land, a bloke with a squeegee and bucket of soapy water.  At sea, or even a resevoir / lake, means boat, safety equipment, more than 1 person.  If it was cheap n easy the water companies would have smothered the resevoirs, very few have.

Agree , I think  the salt air would be very corrosive  to electric parts. 

5 hours ago, Red696 said:

the water companies would have smothered the resevoirs, very few have.

Most modern panels self clean when it rains don't they. Also a great way to catch water, runs straight off panels in to the res. Also would shade it from summer months of evaporation... Makes alot of sense really 

8 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Most modern panels self clean when it rains don't they. Also a great way to catch water, runs straight off panels in to the res. Also would shade it from summer months of evaporation... Makes alot of sense really 

Rain capture is more from the land than the sky, although it obvioulsy does fall from the sky 😂.  The shade does help with algea bloom though.  

The arrays are perfect perching for all kinds of birds, and the resulting mess just doesn’t shift without physical intervention.  It was going to be the next big money maker for water companies, shortlived project when reality hit.

16 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Would hinder the *****y cormorants too? Our local reservoir has a roost of about 100 now and one can only wonder about their impact on the trout fishery  there?

6 hours ago, old man said:

Would hinder the *****y cormorants too? Our local reservoir has a roost of about 100 now and one can only wonder about their impact on the trout fishery  there?

Or give them safe haven

So it turns out that fields and fields of solar panels actually create localised heating of the air causing up draught of air and moisture leading to more volatile weather = climate change. Irregular and unpredictable weather patterns . So the solar panels being installed everywhere are actually causing the problem that they are supposed to be solving .(while  fat cats get rich  selling it to the gullible ) .creating an almost desert like  environment  below them means less carbon dioxide is absorbed by new plant growth leading to higher co2 levels .

30 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

So it turns out that fields and fields of solar panels actually create localised heating of the air causing up draught of air and moisture leading to more volatile weather = climate change. Irregular and unpredictable weather patterns . So the solar panels being installed everywhere are actually causing the problem that they are supposed to be solving .(while  fat cats get rich  selling it to the gullible ) .creating an almost desert like  environment  below them means less carbon dioxide is absorbed by new plant growth leading to higher co2 levels .

can you have an ‘almost desert’ and still get moisture? “Causing” surely you mean contributing?  The environmentalist don’t need us making up problems for them to latch onto, they have enough of their own made up stories.

For real localised heating look no further than modern big Cities, not a fan of Cities myself..

One water company fitted solar panels on the roofs of their service resevoirs, then realised they couldn’t carry out the regulatory grounds maintenance with them in place, so they have them periodically removed, stored and refitted 😂  The only saving grace being that they were fitted to reduce energy costs not for environmental reasons, energy costs are indeed down but maintenance costs are now up and they are producing more co2 shipping them back and to 😂

Deserts aren't only sandy places . Antarctica is a desert .the tundras of northern Russia are deserts .(plenty of water there .)  It's means a desolate place with little in the way of diverse  life forms . The total opposite would be a rain forest  .

4 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Deserts aren't only sandy places . Antarctica is a desert .the tundras of northern Russia are deserts .(plenty of water there .)  It's means a desolate place with little in the way of diverse  life forms . The total opposite would be a rain forest  .

fair point…. Although if you ever get the chance to visit a field based solar array in this country you will find a wide range of wildlife, from the micrscopic tight up to sheep size.

Oh and I'm not making up any problems .this phenomenon  is pretty well documented and understood .and I totally agree with you about large cities doing exactly the same thing (it always rains more in Manchester and Birmingham  than it does in surrounding  countryside ). Yet they still cover over green spaces and carbon absorbing flora with concrete .

2 minutes ago, Red696 said:

fair point…. Although if you ever get the chance to visit a field based solar array in this country you will find a wide range of wildlife, from the micrscopic tight up to sheep size.

I have  unfortunately  they surround me in flat somerset . And I see the very real effect they are having on the plant life .the animal life and the humans that live near them, non of it beneficial to anyone  other than those making a fast buck .I guess the only upside is they will be removed and thrown into land fill withing 15 years and hopefully not replaced .I really can't see them lasting long term  . I feel we should be more self sufficient  as a food producing nation  and reclaim the fields to feed our family's. With crops and live stock .

A  diversity  of food stuffs from winter veg to cereal crops in summer .

9 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I have  unfortunately  they surround me in flat somerset . And I see the very real effect they are having on the plant life .the animal life and the humans that live near them, non of it beneficial to anyone  other than those making a fast buck .I guess the only upside is they will be removed and thrown into land fill withing 15 years and hopefully not replaced .I really can't see them lasting long term  . I feel we should be more self sufficient  as a food producing nation  and reclaim the fields to feed our family's. With crops and live stock .

A  diversity  of food stuffs from winter veg to cereal crops in summer .

I agree plant life does suffer but in my experience the animals soon put them to use as shelter, which does tend to annoy the operators but F them.  

As for self sufficient I totally agree , thats why I grow most of my own veg and summer fruits, Christ I’ve even learnt how to make Jam 😂.  Wish I could grow Bananas, maybe if climate change really does exist I will do it in the future.  Do you grow anything or insist on only buying seasonal UK veg? Every little action helps support our Farmers.

15 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Gullible sheeple is us.