Sieve - any recommendations?

lord_seagrave

Whenever I make gravy, or really any kind of sauce, I like to Smou, the various vegetables through a metal sieve. However, I have broken several of these over the last few years, because they are just not up to the task!

Whenever I make gravy, or really any kind of sauce, I like to smoosh the various vegetables and gravy bits through a fine metal sieve. However, I have broken several of these over the last few years because they are just not up to the task!

Does anybody have a recommendation for a high-quality sieve for this purpose? Happy to look at professional solutions.

LS

I have something that you may wish to buy? A French style rotating hand operated "Mouli".

The pictures here of the one I have surplus to my needs. It can be yours for £10.00 posted 2nd Class Recorded Delivery.

01010270.JPG

01010271.JPG

01010272.JPG

The identical thing is on eBay for £8.55 postage free in case that is a better option for you?

Not I'd add being sold by me and the seller has poor feedback. So you pays your money and takes your risk. Anyway the seller on eBay's description is thus: Food Mill s/s 14cm DIA 27cm LONG Guaranteed Quality

Edited by enfieldspares

You could also use a sock or tights. 

Do make sure the socks have not been used though. 👍

Or look at Jam sieves for removing the seeds from the like of Blackberry's, i bought one from a cook shop its a better idea than the sock.

https://www.procook.co.uk/product/procook-stainless-steel-mesh-colander-25cm?cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp={campaigned}&cq_net=x&cq_plt=gp&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAz8GuBhCxARIsAOpzk8xK6HTdtTZXoEeHlCHNkkNbm9HGZVyLTMWTGj-6aLRyJGyj3mAWK84aAmyjEALw_wcB#:~:text=812 reviews-,ProCook Stainless Steel Mesh Colander,-25cm

I prefer to use a stick type blender for soup, but then I like my soup with veggies as 'bits' rather than as a puree.

They are available as cordless or mains and a wide range of prices - starting quite cheap at around £15, though I suspect that to an extend you get what you pay for.

4 hours ago, Dougy said:

You could also use a sock or tights. 

Do make sure the socks have not been used though. 👍

Or look at Jam sieves for removing the seeds from the like of Blackberry's, i bought one from a cook shop its a better idea than the sock.

https://www.procook.co.uk/product/procook-stainless-steel-mesh-colander-25cm?cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp={campaigned}&cq_net=x&cq_plt=gp&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAz8GuBhCxARIsAOpzk8xK6HTdtTZXoEeHlCHNkkNbm9HGZVyLTMWTGj-6aLRyJGyj3mAWK84aAmyjEALw_wcB#:~:text=812 reviews-,ProCook Stainless Steel Mesh Colander,-25cm

And dont use the gusset section of the tights 🤢

11 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I prefer to use a stick type blender for soup, but then I like my soup with veggies as 'bits' rather than as a puree.

They are available as cordless or mains and a wide range of prices - starting quite cheap at around £15, though I suspect that to an extend you get what you pay for.

That's my go to

On 17/02/2024 at 14:42, enfieldspares said:

I have something that you may wish to buy? A French style rotating hand operated "Mouli".

The pictures here of the one I have surplus to my needs. It can be yours for £10.00 posted 2nd Class Recorded Delivery.

01010270.JPG

01010271.JPG

01010272.JPG

The identical thing is on eBay for £8.55 postage free in case that is a better option for you?

Not I'd add being sold by me and the seller has poor feedback. So you pays your money and takes your risk. Anyway the seller on eBay's description is thus: Food Mill s/s 14cm DIA 27cm LONG Guaranteed Quality

You, Sir, Have PM

And thanks for the replies, chaps. We don’t have a stick bender currently, so I reckon I might add that to the Christmas list…

:good:

LS

• 2 weeks later...