FAC/SHOTGUN renewal

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Daieye said:

Get your forms in early,SWP are months behind on renewals,I've been on a temporary licence since August.. ATB Dai 

To be honest, I've got over 12 months to go, but a mate of mine asked this question and I wasn't sure of the answer. SWP use to be one of the best, but sadly, are going down the road of other's. I recently had a 'security check', the first in over 40 years apart from renewals, and I was told that SWP are almost 2.5 years behind in some area's.

Edited by steve_b_wales

AFAIK most want the report within 3 months of your renewal, they already had access to our medical records and to bring this in because of Plymouth is farcical.  The law was not at fault just the totally inept Police not enforcing it.

12 minutes ago, Daieye said:

Yeah the day's of popping down to HQ and getting a variation on the spot are long gone A friend of mine has been waiting nearly two year's for a new license 

Yes, I've done that many times in the past. 

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

I'm wondering if the police would only request the past five years from the time of the renewal, ie, mine would be 2020 - 2025.

there'd be no point really in covering your "already investigated" history again would there so it makes absolute sense👍

but then again it's the old bill that's doing it🙄🙄

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

If you had requested a Subject Access Request for you details, via Medcert or another firm, they have a month to provide - by law. No hurry up required.

My GP surgery, who refused to fill in a Pro forma, released my full medical history within 1 month.

5 hours ago, wyn said:

Police forces in wales want the medical records from birth.

Really? I’m not sure they are allowed to demand such a thing. Surely they can only demand to see those matters which are pertinent regarding SGC/FAC applications, otherwise you could simply nip into your surgery, ask for your entire medical history cards, photocopy them and send it to the rozzers for nothing more than the price of a stamp! 
Edited to add: Of course you will need to prove who you are, but that doesn’t entail a cost. I know because I’ve done it. 

Edited by Scully

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Scully said:

Really? I’m not sure they are allowed to demand such a thing. Surely they can only demand to see those matters which are pertinent regarding SGC/FAC applications, otherwise you could simply nip into your surgery, ask for your entire medical history cards, photocopy them and send it to the rozzers for nothing more than the price of a stamp! 
Edited to add: Of course you will need to prove who you are, but that doesn’t entail a cost. I know because I’ve done it. 

I had this from the 'horses mouth', so to speak. It's not so much the police who don't actually see your records of course, but any GP will more than likely want to see them all before signing the Pro Forma. Stupid, I know, but there we are!

9 hours ago, wyn said:

Police forces in wales want the medical records from birth.

Correct, and I asked this question to south Wales Police via email and they replied 'yes we do'.

Edited by steve_b_wales

54 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I had this from the 'horses mouth', so to speak. It's not so much the police who don't actually see your records of course, but any GP will more than likely want to see them all before signing the Pro Forma. Stupid, I know, but there we are!

Correct, and I asked this question to south Wales Police via email and they replied 'yes we do'.

If this is indeed the case then there’s something very wrong in my opinion. 
So which is it? The police want the records from birth or they don’t actually see them, but the GP wants to read them all before signing the pro forma? 
And again, if the former is the case, then why not request copies of your entire medical history and then simply give that to the Police? It costs nothing to see your medical history nor photograph it, which is what I did….the relevant parts anyhow. The police don’t need to know, nor is it any of their business, that someone was treated for piles or a STD. 
There’s something very wrong about this. 

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

then why not request copies of your entire medical history and then simply give that to the Police?

Because they arent qualified to read them ?
I sort of understand it , maybe there were some mental health issues in childhood ect ?

1 minute ago, Scully said:

If this is indeed the case then there’s something very wrong in my opinion. 
So which is it? The police want the records from birth or they don’t actually see them, but the GP wants to read them all before signing the pro forma? 
And again, if the former is the case, then why not request copies of your entire medical history and then simply give that to the Police? It costs nothing to see your medical history nor photograph it, which is what I did….the relevant parts anyhow. The police don’t need to know, nor is it any of their business, that someone was treated for piles or a STD. 
There’s something very wrong about this. 

The police don't actually see your records as they do not go to them, but they rely on a GP to look at them and sing a Pro Forma if he/she feels all is okay. I had a GP (via BASC) to sign mine back in 2020 but my renewal next year will be with someone else. Your medical history is not shared with the police, unless there is something that the GP feels should be mentioned. Even then, the GP will refuse to sign  the Pro Forma.  I do think that looking at the full records again is a waste of time, but there is no choice.

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Because they arent qualified to read them ?
I sort of understand it , maybe there were some mental health issues in childhood ect ?

Exactly, the police do not see your medical history. They rely on a GP to 'decide' if all is okay. Plus, should something go wrong after the Pro Forma is signed and you get your renewal or new certificate, then the police can then claim that it wasn't them who signed the form!

I know of three cases where the police have denied doctors reports because they don't back far enough into their childhood Gwent police are the worse in the country there are two main shooting shops here in Gwent that  are stacked the gunnels with rifles and shotguns because the firearms dept dragging their feet on renewals hoping the owners get fed up and sell there guns i have found a company that takes on the police when it come to them not renewing you FAC or SGC i will post it up later