Cartridge manufacturer price difference

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes indeed, I carry a box of special 6 1/2s for the extremely long targets, they can be a game changer.

Northampton S.G. often put a long rabbit crosser so far out that you would NOT shoot at it if it was a real bunny.

It is usually shot as a single target with full use of both barrels, great to hit all of them with the first barrel giving 16 foot of lead.

I loved the original blue World Cups.

These are the 'original'  blue World Cups. I bought 250 of them around 20 years ago.. ...........I don't use them very often   !   😄

1 hour ago, Westley said:

These are the 'original'  blue World Cups. I bought 250 of them around 20 years ago.. ...........I don't use them very often   !   😄

I have used World Cups, couldn’t fault them, other than having a bit of a kick.

4 minutes ago, Westley said:

Only shooting around 4 per year, I can't say I have noticed the 'kick'   !   😁

Understood, when you refer to the original World Cups. When did things change and what were the changes please.

I only ask as I had been thinking of buying a slab. Thanks.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Not many clay shooters would actually know that.

Yes, it really is a valid point, the other thing that always amuses me when watching other shooters is the number who have NEVER addressed a live target.

The amount of pre-mounting and wriggling around inside the cage is laughable, if they ever stood on a peg, would they have the gun in the shoulder?

17 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes, it really is a valid point, the other thing that always amuses me when watching other shooters is the number who have NEVER addressed a live target.

The amount of pre-mounting and wriggling around inside the cage is laughable, if they ever stood on a peg, would they have the gun in the shoulder?

Oh yes! Many of them would want the gun pre-mounted as soon as birds begin to flush. I have seen it many times and they are astounded when told they cannot do that. But, to be fair, if they have never been taught then you can’t expect them to know. Everybody was a beginner once.
I have taken my daughter (40) to shoot clays twice. The second time, after about 35 pre-mounted shots I started her mounting the gun after the target appeared. I was pleased that she was successful and she actually said it felt more natural and she thought it made the shot easier. (simple incomer)

3 hours ago, Westley said:

I have some World Cup 32g 6 somewhere 

14 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I still have a quantity of my usual FITASC rounds from the OLD DAYS.......................................:cool1:

As a non-clay man can you please tell me what is a FITASC? And why do they need any different cartridges?

Certainly, FITASC is a Sporting Discipline, harder than usual sporting clays and you used to be allowed 36 gramme loads at one point that dropped to 32 Gramme loads years ago.

"Fédération Internationale de Tir aux Armes Sportives de Chasse is an international sport federation for sport shooting, specifically clay pigeon shooting similar to sporting clays"

It is VERY expensive to shoot due to the amount of manpower and time taken to get round the course or courses. Subsequently not many shooters can get round in a day.

Regarded as the Pinnacle of sporting clay shooting

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I still have a quantity of my usual FITASC rounds from the OLD DAYS.......................................:cool1:

Winchester ZZ 36g 7.5’s 

Killed lot of pigeon , pheasant and teal with those 

3 hours ago, Fellside said:

👍 Interesting. The ones I trialed were put together by Lyalvale Express. Fairly impressed. As I say, don’t know if they’ll make it as a product line - we’ll have to see. 

They will probably be the same price as 28g cartridges,  or even more expensive seen as they are 61/2.. always a scam in the making.. on that note is Express still developing cartridges,  since fiocchi bought them out? Or is it fiocchi?

Edited by Krico woodcock

1 hour ago, Krico woodcock said:

They will probably be the same price as 28g cartridges,  or even more expensive seen as they are 61/2.. always a scam in the making.. on that note is Express still developing cartridges,  since fiocchi bought them out? Or is it fiocchi?

Don’t honestly know the price as they were a freebie to try - but you’re probably right re price. I don’t know much about the Fiocchi / Express thing - as it was a shooting ground that wanted me to try them. They broke clays like anything else. As I said earlier, pleasantly surprised. 

10 hours ago, Fellside said:

Don’t honestly know the price as they were a freebie to try - but you’re probably right re price. I don’t know much about the Fiocchi / Express thing - as it was a shooting ground that wanted me to try them. They broke clays like anything else. As I said earlier, pleasantly surprised. 

Any day ya get a few boxes of cartridges FOC not a bad day fellside,  and as you said they broke Clay's as good as any, an old saying here " ya still need to put right address on them " 👍. Express cartridges can't be got over here anymore, north or south , not that I know off any way. Last express I bought were pigeon power 29g 6's. Brilliant hard hitting cartridges. About 6 or 7 years ago.  Their power gold trap cartridges were also a lovely smooth cartridge. As were their pro comp,  I used them alot over 20 years ago. I think they went a bit crazy with their prices.  So who were taking them in stopped.  

2 hours ago, Krico woodcock said:

Any day ya get a few boxes of cartridges FOC not a bad day fellside,  and as you said they broke Clay's as good as any, an old saying here " ya still need to put right address on them " 👍. Express cartridges can't be got over here anymore, north or south , not that I know off any way. Last express I bought were pigeon power 29g 6's. Brilliant hard hitting cartridges. About 6 or 7 years ago.  Their power gold trap cartridges were also a lovely smooth cartridge. As were their pro comp,  I used them alot over 20 years ago. I think they went a bit crazy with their prices.  So who were taking them in stopped.  

" ya still need to put right address on them " like it 😁. Yes Express have gone off the boil here also. You can still buy them if you try, but they’ve lost a lot of market share. Every area is different, but on my stamping ground the Italian cart’s  have a big presence now. I tend to buy Italian fibre 7 1/2 as they are UK 7s and work great for the both clays and decoying. 

Interesting replies! Thanks very much!

it seems that a lot of shooters actually use and rate the Fiocchi FBlu’s….i haven’t tried them yet, but they are number one in my list to try next!!

35 minutes ago, BobbyH said:

Interesting replies! Thanks very much!

it seems that a lot of shooters actually use and rate the Fiocchi FBlu’s….i haven’t tried them yet, but they are number one in my list to try next!!

I shot the long range special day at Westfield shooting ground today and there was a guy in our squad using F Blu 7.5's.

Some genuine 60m plus targets that were rocketing and he was breaking them with ease. There was one side on crosser at perhaps 40m and he broke it convincingly 3 out of 4 times.

My go-to cartridges are F Blacks but I'm going to give the F Blus a go next time round.

Edited by Poor Shot

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, i am sure there was a list of Cartridge sizes compared to UK on here which gave the shot size difference, ??

Italian 7.5 are 2.4mm, same as English no7 also 2.4mm or 340 per oz, English 7.5 are 2.3mm or 400 per oz wth English no8 being 2.2mm or 450 per oz