45 in a 45mph

Myself and Motty met up to try and locate a few woodies to have a go at. We met at one of Motty’s possible permissions and after several calls we couldn’t get hold of the farmer to check we were ok to proceed on another harvested beet field. We decided to drive around and find alternative possibilities. We looked at some rape fields, drilled barley but nothing looked worth setting up for. After 3 hours driving around different places we decided to go home. I had gone about 2 miles down the road and the phone rang. I’ve found loads!! But I don’t know whose field it is. Several calls by Motty later I arrived at the field to hear the end of the conversation, permission granted. The field was a sprayed of old stubble field that had been direct drilled with barley. The only problem was the only option was a hide in the middle of the field in 45 mph winds. We had a rather long walk due to locked gate, but we soon got set up with a few shell decoys and a single rotary. The pigeons were in incredible numbers but we struggled to get them in due to the high winds and a rocking hide. Most shots were birds rolling back on the wind creating some very testing shots and at times Motty’s language was quite blue🤣 At 4 o’clock we packed up and picked a very memorable 45. 

IMG_4253.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

Well done.. A hide in middle of a bare field would never,  ever work over here.  No way pigeons would fall into that trap.  Even if they had never been shot at.  

If we could have gotten hidden in a dyke etc, we would have probably shot 3 times that amount or more. A hide in the open isn’t my first choice either, but needs must. 

The wind was ridiculous. A calmer day and we would surely have doubled the bag. A 30 yard bird quickly became a 50 yard twisting, turning nightmare target. Tricky shooting, indeed. 

Still a decent 3 hours or so. 

You done well even keeping your hide in one piece with todays strong wind , one farmer I know was kind enough to leave one of those big oblong bales in the middle of a large rape field a couple of years ago, this was handy as you could decoy in any wind direction and the Pigeons seemed to get used to a bale of straw as the top was always full of Pigeon droppings .

Just go to show for those members who find it hard to get perms it is still possible to pick up some Pigeon shooting as it was new land they were shooting on today , and I would go as far to say that if anyone in our county really want some Pigeon shooting that if they put the leg work in and go about it the right way that they will find some .    MM

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

You done well even keeping your hide in one piece with todays strong wind , one farmer I know was kind enough to leave one of those big oblong bales in the middle of a large rape field a couple of years ago, this was handy as you could decoy in any wind direction and the Pigeons seemed to get used to a bale of straw as the top was always full of Pigeon droppings .

Just go to show for those members who find it hard to get perms it is still possible to pick up some Pigeon shooting as it was new land they were shooting on today , and I would go as far to say that if anyone in our county really want some Pigeon shooting that if they put the leg work in and go about it the right way that they will find some .    MM

I totally agree that there is shooting to be had if you  ask the farmers in the right way and perhaps know a little bit about what you're doing. I was lucky today, in that I phoned up a farmer friend that knew the "new" farmer's name and number. I was only granted permission for the day, but this would likely be given again if I asked. 

7 hours ago, motty said:

I totally agree that there is shooting to be had if you  ask the farmers in the right way and perhaps know a little bit about what you're doing. I was lucky today, in that I phoned up a farmer friend that knew the "new" farmer's name and number. I was only granted permission for the day, but this would likely be given again if I asked. 

Once a ( new ) farmer know you can sort the Pigeons out and leave the ground exactly how you found it by taking all your rubbish away you would be sure of being allowed on again when good number of Pigeons can be seen, also for those who have got no outlet for the bag then it might be a good idea in not leaving a pile of dead Pigeons underneath a hedge if you don't know the land owner as they can create a load of feathers and some land owners might not approve , these boys are at the top of there game and news soon filter to other landowners , one of the reasons why they are never short of places to go .   MM 

Well done in keeping the hide up, its bad enough when you’re against a hedge in strong wind, never mind out in the middle of the field, well done in shooting a few in difficult conditions.

Your lucky you found some sown stuff, around here the ground is still soaked, talking to a few farmers who were planning on sowing some spring barley say its looking very doubtful as its getting a bit late.

Went out myself yesterday morning and the fields are still waterlogged.

501475891_wetfield.jpg.5490dcd8d38ba6d68cec743e6dd45186.jpg

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Well done in keeping the hide up, its bad enough when you’re against a hedge in strong wind, never mind out in the middle of the field, well done in shooting a few in difficult conditions.

Your lucky you found some sown stuff, around here the ground is still soaked, talking to a few farmers who were planning on sowing some spring barley say its looking very doubtful as its getting a bit late.

Went out myself yesterday morning and the fields are still waterlogged.

501475891_wetfield.jpg.5490dcd8d38ba6d68cec743e6dd45186.jpg

A lot of our land is still very wet. Some farmers have finished drilling here, while some have not even started. It will be am interesting few weeks ahead. I anticipate some decent bags for us in certain areas, if the amount if pigeons we are seeing is anything to go by. There were clouds of pigeons around yesterday.

32 minutes ago, JDog said:

I can almost hear the language from here. Great sport it must have been.

I think Jules' language was worse than mine. The man can be grumpy! 😃

31 minutes ago, motty said:

A lot of our land is still very wet. Some farmers have finished drilling here, while some have not even started. It will be am interesting few weeks ahead. I anticipate some decent bags for us in certain areas, if the amount if pigeons we are seeing is anything to go by. There were clouds of pigeons around yesterday.

I think Jules' language was worse than mine. The man can be grumpy! 😃

I’m a change man now I have to shoot from my left shoulder. I have the perfect excuse if I miss.