ShootHub Podcast - lead shot latest with BASC's Terry Behan

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Konor said:

There is nothing of substance in the podcast unfortunately. 

That is rather lazy and is unfortunately another rather evasive comment from your good self. You have posted more than 50 comments on this thread about a podcast that I don't think you have listened to given no substance from you about it, unlike Gordon R and Old Farrier. However, you can prove me wrong with a detailed review - I am interested in the game meat market section given you have been commenting on this aspect of the voluntary transition on this forum across multiple threads for some time. You must have a view, if, as you claim, you have listened to the podcast.

Edited by Conor O'Gorman

1 minute ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

That is a rather lazy and unfortunately another rather evasive comment from your good self. You have posted more than 50 comments on this thread about a podcast that I don't think you have listened to with no substance about it, unlike Gordon R and Old Farrier. However, you can prove me wrong with a detailed review - I am interested in the game meat market section given you have been commenting on this aspect of the voluntary transition on this forum across multiple threads for some time. You must have a view, if, as you claim, you have listened to the podcast.

😂 You are in no position to dictate to me Conor. A man unable to substantiate the veracity of his posts and who continually evades any debate. Let's start by having you state the statistics supporting your claims regarding lead toxicity. Or are you just an aspiring politician devoid of accountability that reckons if you repeat something long enough people will believe it. Add some substance to your claims and give up on the juvenile arguments." You haven't listened to the podcast" boohoo. Is that all you've got. My wee boy could defend his point of view better. But then your aim is obviously to have the thread closed. Too expensive at double time Conor ay 😂

17 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

You have posted more than 50 comments on this thread

And you have yet to answer any of the points raised

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Konor said:

😂 You are in no position to dictate to me Conor. A man unable to substantiate the veracity of his posts and who continually evades any debate. Let's start by having you state the statistics supporting your claims regarding lead toxicity. Or are you just an aspiring politician devoid of accountability that reckons if you repeat something long enough people will believe it. Add some substance to your claims and give up on the juvenile arguments." You haven't listened to the podcast" boohoo. Is that all you've got. My wee boy could defend his point of view better. But then your aim is obviously to have the thread closed. Too expensive at double time Conor ay 😂

And you have yet to answer any of the points raised

I am interested in your feedback on the game meat market section of the podcast. You have posted 57 comments in this thread and nothing of substance. 

Edited by Conor O'Gorman

1 hour ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

I am interested in your feedback on the game meat market section of the podcast. You have posted 57 comments in this thread and nothing of substance. 

You're not interested in the slightest. Do you think I came up the Lagan in a bubble 🤣 Sorry if my continual reference to the substance of your own posts has grated a bit. As I have said your credibility is at an all time low I don't think that there's much you can do to retrieve it. I think I've covered all the ground necessary to paint an accurate picture. 

Edited by Konor

I think you consider yourself a cunning manipulator Conor worthy of a political career. Sorry but you're not manipulating me. And I don't think you are fooling the majority of grass roots shooters. Maybe some Johnny come lately newcomer driven game shooters but not anyone who has been around shooting for a similar length of time as all your critics. How is the overtime going you'll be able to afford a new steel proof gun next month, you do shoot don't you? 

Edited by Konor

In brief You are calling for the cessation of the use of lead shot, voluntary or not. You have used emotive" lead minefields*language to strengthen your case. You have left no room to negotiate limited lead use to preserve our vintage guns. And yet you cannot produce any statistics to substantiate your reason for taking this path. You have sold grass roots shooters out all while maintaining an air of self righteous pomposity. Voice of shooting? You're not speaking on my behalf, and insulting me into the bargain by accusing me of being a liar. Take a bow Conor( and BASC if this gentleman is representative of your organisation ) 

Edited by Konor

Why not just move on and accept that lead shot has had its day?

The HSE are driving the process and agenda.

The Danes seem to manage fine with no lead shot and wildfowlers here also do in my experience.

Would save a lot of hot air, wasted effort and may make visiting this forum enjoyable again

Edited by grahamch

13 hours ago, Konor said:

I think you consider yourself a cunning manipulator Conor worthy of a political career. 

Brings to mind a little conversation in "Twelfth Night"  (which we were obliged to study for GCE 'O' level)

"Art not thou the Lady Olivia’s Fool?"

"...... I am indeed not her Fool but her corrupter of words."

1 hour ago, grahamch said:

Why not just move on and accept that lead shot has had its day?

The HSE are driving the process and agenda.

The Danes seem to manage fine with no lead shot and wildfowlers here also do in my experience.

Would save a lot of hot air, wasted effort and may make visiting this forum enjoyable again

I'll not be "moving on" until the BASC apologists explain why they threw away their ability to negotiate the form of any legislative lead ban,promoted the voluntary move away from lead while expressing/exaggerating its toxic effect inland and failed to produce any data to substantiate their case. You might be happy to accept all this but how far does your acceptance of restrictions on shooting stretch before you decide to disagree. 

HSE maybe driving the process but BASC is a willing passenger. The idea that a voluntary move away from lead will be retained after BASC's stance on the toxicity of lead is ridiculous. It's a half way house to a complete ban and they know it but are far too scared to state it. 

I notice you haven't used up much hot air defending restrictions that have no published scientific support. It has been unpleasant and time consuming posting on this and other threads but the points I make are valid and not without substance. If you find visiting the forum an  unenjoyable experience because it raises feelings of embarrassment that you are declining to stand up for arguably baseless restrictions, tough. If you find reading the posts annoying then don't read them. The forum is to discuss important issues, this is one that deserves discussing if only to put BASC and it's apologists under a spotlight

16 hours ago, 8 shot said:

Just listen to the Podcast, just PR blurb mixed with a little stretching of the truth to hopefully end up in cloud cuckoo land, Sorry Terry you sounded like your reading from a BASC script

Thanks for taking the time to listen to it and thanks for the feedback.

3 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Thanks for taking the time to listen to it and thanks for the feedback.

Are you sure he listened to it CONOR, are you not inclined to dispute the fact and ask him to produce a review of a random section of it. to allay your suspicions. I thought that was your standard M. O. 

22 minutes ago, Konor said:

Are you sure he listened to it CONOR, are you not inclined to dispute the fact and ask him to produce a review of a random section of it. to allay your suspicions. I thought that was your standard M. O. 

Please give it a rest, as advised by many. I am not engaging with you any further on this thread. 

21 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Please give it a rest, as advised by many. I am not engaging with you any further on this thread. 

As ever economical with the truth Konor and failing to answer the questions. Why don’t you answer the questions as asked by many ?

Its just chickens coming home to roost Conor, you can’t expect to accuse someone of lying then move on with no apology and not expect a little gentle ribbing surely.

Edited by Konor

35 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

the many I only see two and they have ignored the fact YOU start all the shot threads not konor so try taking your own advise! 

1 hour ago, scolopax said:

Obsessed. 

maybe try going out shooting or fishing?  They are both typical occupiers of time for males with obsessive tendencies. You may even find them enjoyable. 

I do fish ,scolopax ,trout and salmon, started tying my own flies. I shoot clays, stalk deer ,wildfowl rough shoot and have a gun in a small syndicate. I usually read through the threads here for enjoyment and have done so for years before posting.I’d far rather be doing any of those things than be posting here and being given the run around by someone not sufficiently informed to defend his actions for failing to fully represent the average shooter and instead favouring those with commercial interest in what to me is a working man’s relaxation. I choose to post to draw attention to the inadequacy of the defence of shooting sports. Perhaps we should not be so ready to accept defeat. I’ve always thought compromise was the way forward but not the total capitulation that BASC would have us accept because they lack the gumption to negotiate on our behalf. I’m not for meekly accepting the half truths and emotive propaganda being used to drive forward restrictions on my way of life , unbelievably by our own organisations  Especially when there is no statistical evidence to quantify the harm being avoided to the environment should we have to accept any proposed restrictions.  That’s it in a nutshell Scolopax and Conor has spent 13 pages here and numerous pages more on other threads avoiding addressing that.

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

the many I only see two and they have ignored the fact YOU start all the shot threads not konor so try taking your own advise! 

Thanks clangerman 👍

Edited by Konor

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, clangerman said:

Thanks, so what you appear to be saying is that it must be my fault for posting updates on policy issues I think would be of interest to PW members and out of interest for their feedback, something I have done for over a decade. Perhaps it's the recent trolling accounts such as yours and a handful of others, with no substance to add, hijacking threads and stifling reasoned exchanges between reasonable well intentioned PW members, that are the issue.

Edited by Conor O'Gorman

3 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Thanks, so what you appear to be saying is that it must be my fault for posting updates on policy issues I think would be of interest to PW members and out of interest for their feedback, something I have done for over a decade. Perhaps it's the recent trolling accounts such as yours and a handful of others, with no substance to add, hijacking threads and stifling reasoned exchanges between reasonable well intentioned PW members, that are the issue.

Alternatively a platform for your PR to justify your organisations actions. Is your ability to respond hindered by the fact that you have no answer to my questions, that you choose not to answer them or that you are instructed not to answer them Trolling accounts really Conor? I think your reasoning is a bit melodramatic ,is it not infinitely more possible that the trolls you speak of are no more than concerned country sportsmen and you in reality are an apologist for those who would see our sport compromised in the interests of the commercial game shooting market. Could you answer that or do you prefer the exchanges between well intentioned PW members where it’s easier to pull the wool over their eyes. 

On 27/04/2024 at 17:02, Old farrier said:

Firstly I’m entitled to a opinion 

listening to the interview won’t qualify him any further 

min light of your rather blunt and almost insulting comments 

iv gone to considerable lengths to get some equipment that is compatibility with my hearing system and joined the 1.1 k others that listened to it I noted no comments on the podcast neither good or bad which I thought strange 

it confirmed my suspicions that he’s not a gunsmith hasn’t been one dosent bore and regular shotguns for lead or steel 

he did comment on swapping chokes and use of pattern sheets with a 50 gram load at a ridiculous distance 

seems his Main interest is wildfowling in bad weather and from some of his comments I’d wonder if he has actually grasped the difference between HP steel cartridge and normal steel shot cartridges 

now this is how I see it fixed choke guns are not recommended for the use of steel if they are more than half choke for lead  I along with many others have no interest in multi choke guns

so I would like to know how many thou to remove from my full and extra full choked gun to throw a full and extra full pattern with steel and not damage it I’m sure in the last four years your organisation has been doing research into this as they have many expert gunsmiths who travel the country with their sustainable ammunition days 

Get your bore measured, that will calculate how many thou is needed to be relived to ensure the restriction of your choice, that however does not provide you with an optimum pattern you will still need to patter your gun to se how well the type of cartridge performs.