AYA Pin Disk Removal tool

Hi Chaps,

does anyone know where i can buy a tool for removing the firing pin retaining disks from my AYA No 2?

the pin went at the end of last season, so I bought the pin but the disk is ridiculously tight so I think I need the proper tool!

cant find one anywhere?

thanks in advance,

Rich

Hello, They are quite easy to make but if you have some long nose mole grips and 2 drills of the same size as the hole it will usually unscrew if taken care to do, place drills in holes, use mole grips to hold drills tight and carefully unscrew , you may a bit of lube

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Not seen any AYA key for such, but if you know someone with a workshop they are easy to make, alternatively you could with caution try putting two tight fitting pins in the holes and with a suitable pair of pliers or toolmakers clamp try turning the disc, they are likely to be very tight so you may need to brake the seal by using a length of brass fashioned to sit on the edge of one of the holes, give it a sharp knock anti clockwise then put the pins in and try to turn.

If the above is not your skill-set then a gunsmith is your best option.

58 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

There is a screw in the side that has to be removed before you can remove the discs 

This /\, but they are often very tight.  I had a Yeoman with them and my then gunsmith struggled. 

On the No 1, the discs are retained by a screw in the side of the breech which is drilled as a 'gas vent'.  This must be removed before the disc is turned or something will break.

I have a Brownells tool - see thread here.

Not sure you can get Brownells stuff in the UK now?  Website search is near unusable.

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

There is a screw in the side that has to be removed before you can remove the discs 

I think that you`re right there Nigel. 

I always thought that it was an intercepting sear but those more knowledgeable put me right on that.

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

THIS! As others say it is an easy tool to make if you have a drill press. Length of steel bar, drill the two holes in the bar tap in what you'll be using as the pins. Or as others say decent circlip plier.

As above. Find a drill bit with a shank the same size as the pin hole. Drill two carefully measured holes in either a piece of bar or a neatly sawn off bolt head (aprox 3/4" across). Use a cutting disc on your Dremmel to cut two short lengths of the drill shank off and glue them into the holes. Its important to have the pins just long enough to bottom out in the disc holes to prevent them twisting and only submitting them to a shearing force. I used a combination ring spanner on the bolt head which allowed some thumb pressure on it to keep things in place.

I have an AyA No.2. I owned this gun back in 1970's, I sold if to fund a Westley Richards.  Last year I got the chance to buy it back. However, the guy that had the gun, had tried to do what you are about to do.  He was unaware of the small screws that hold the discs in place and the result was horrible. I had to take it to a Gunsmith. It had to have 2 new discs (which come 'in the white'), and 2 firing pins (which require fitting) total labour costs £80, plus the parts. So a bill of around £150 in total. 

IF, you can not remove the discs without damage, take it to someone who can.

• 3 weeks later...