Auctions and Cartridges

Just heard that most of the big Auction houses are now refusing to accept cartridge and bullets to sell , bit of a blow to cartridge collectors, wonder if it will be shotgun , rifles etc. next because of   a flooded market .

Felltwad

5 minutes ago, Feltwad said:

Just heard that most of the big Auction houses are now refusing to accept cartridge and bullets to sell , bit of a blow to cartridge collectors, wonder if it will be shotgun , rifles etc. next because of   a flooded market .

Felltwad

Any reason given for the decision 🤔

9 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Any reason given for the decision 🤔

Was told it is the cost  of sorting cartridges  from  bullets  with a low return plus  a courier to transport 

Feltwad

When I attended a Holts valuation day to enter a few shotguns into their next sale I was told by the valuer that they were calling a ,hopefully short, halt to auctioning ammunition and that this had been caused due to transport issues of ammunition being taken to the auction house by auction employees. I can’t remember now if it was to do with car insurance validity but think the issue arose because an auction employee ,not Holts, was taken to task, I assume by police, due to the amount of ammunition being transported in his vehicle. I had an old box of short chambered 10 bore Eley ammunition and unfortunately it couldn’t be entered into the sale as they were waiting to have the situation clarified and were suspending ammunition sales until then.

7 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

When you put the price of auction fee's & going to collect them they normally work out cheaper to buy new I've found from previous auctions unless it's a vintage collection etc 

At our local auction house ( Horners at Acle ) they charge you £10 for a gunsmith to inspect the gun before it is even entered , then it used to be £2 a entry for handling and cataloging , so far so bad and I believe the sale fees are around 20% on top of whatever it sell for , if it don't sell then you don't get your money back, hard luck , so if you sell a cheapish gun then you are going to end up with very little cash left over , I once done worse than that , the item I put in a general sale didn't sell the first week and it just managed to sell the second week , with it being entered two weeks I had to pay £4.00 plus the fees , the t v unit made a fiver and when I took my Yellow form in they said first the good news , your item sold , well what is the bad news , you owe us 86p , no wonder my bank book is nearly empty :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

My RFD friend said Nick Holt mentioned this some time ago. They would stop selling ammunition and cartridges as it was not cost-effective in their eye mind due to the time and effort they have to put in to collecting, cataloging, selling, keeping transporting low-value items.

• 3 weeks later...