Rise of the Drone

ditchman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

I think the 'can we' is established.
The 'should we' ? All it takes is a suitably created 'enemy' and it will be deployed 'for the greater good'

I meant more in general terms; we invent things because we can not because we should.

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

I meant more in general terms; we invent things because we can not because we should.

:good:

Man is never more clever or industrious, as when he is devising ways to kill one another.

Not 100% sure about present day warfare but there seems to be problems with systems no matter what we use to attack and defend. Back in 82 there were problems with short and long range S2A/S2S missiles and early warning systems but short range, manned weapons and early warning of aircraft take offs via special forces on the ground worked well. A friend has just started his training as a member of a drone team and is enjoying it but he can't say much about it ATM but it appears that they aren't infallible by any means but that is in a non combat situation, I'm sure that in combat situations things will advance quickly out of necessity. 

16 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

:good:

Man is never more clever or industrious, as when he is devising ways to kill one another.

I agree in general but I’m not sure that’s the case for drones. Once you get into commercial use cases, it’s not much of a stretch to envisage the art of the possible of “mis-use cases”.

I also agree there is a tendency to create solutions to problems that don’t exist and then identify the problem and try to make it fit. Again I don’t think that applies to drones.

8 hours ago, Penelope said:

I wonder if that's the one that I nearly took out of the sky with a 22miller and throwing stick, whilst spying on me.

North met pit ? Although he does his own thing don’t need to spy on people 🤣.

22 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

No. Not radar but Mark 1 Eyeball! Still reacts quicker than even the latest radar technology.

The Mark 1 Eyeball can't see through a cloud, the dark or a hill.   Nor the Mark 7 for that matter.

Believe me, I tried it for 42 years of my working life.

Radar and passive sensors are much better.

1 hour ago, old man said:

In a nutshell, all OK till kimchangvlad kills the Internet communications

Exactly.. all drone flights are cancelled for the rest of the day....and the foreseeable future.😉 

Edited by islandgun

16 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Exactly.. all drone flights are cancelled for the rest of the day....and the foreseeable future

The idea of autonomous drones is they don't need the Internet,  or a data link, or even GPS in some cases.

This kind of technology is already in use by both sides in Ukraine. 

5 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The idea of autonomous drones is they don't need the Internet,  or a data link, or even GPS in some cases.

Ah thats alright then..🤨

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

that what i was saying earlier on.....the drone tech' is moving so quick....what will it be like in a year/2 years time......as soon as something is invented for the drone,,by the time it goes into production its out of date.........

i really do think in the near future the RAF will just operate transport planes and transport for air delivery drones.......

this drone thing is like computors in the early days....things are moving soooo quick

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

that what i was saying earlier on.....the drone tech' is moving so quick....what will it be like in a year/2 years time......as soon as something is invented for the drone,,by the time it goes into production its out of date.........

i really do think in the near future the RAF will just operate transport planes and transport for air delivery drones.......

this drone thing is like computors in the early days....things are moving soooo quick

If you want to get rid of pilots as surplus to requirements, the first obstacle you'll hit is the fact that the vast majority of the most senior ranks - the decision makers - are...... have a guess.

6 minutes ago, wymberley said:

If you want to get rid of pilots as surplus to requirements, the first obstacle you'll hit is the fact that the vast majority of the most senior ranks - the decision makers - are...... have a guess.

its not going to happen tomorrow....as TIGHTCHOKE pointed out.....planes will be phased out and used less and less

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

its not going to happen tomorrow....as TIGHTCHOKE pointed out.....planes will be phased out and used less and less

It's going to be interesting. It's possible that our government will have to make a decision which as we know means much dithering in the aisles. The real problem will be if then, later, they wish to change their mind which even if possible is going to be mind-blowing expensive and all due to a decision made on 1April 1965 and announced in a budget 4 days later.

39 minutes ago, wymberley said:

It's going to be interesting. It's possible that our government will have to make a decision which as we know means much dithering in the aisles. The real problem will be if then, later, they wish to change their mind which even if possible is going to be mind-blowing expensive and all due to a decision made on 1April 1965 and announced in a budget 4 days later.

as i said earlier on.....i have red a couple of articles....(i cant tell you which ones as i cant garuntee the truth of them)....that our govt' is somewhat reticent of funding the replacement jets to the eurofighter....as TIGHTCHOKE says theeurofighter will still go on with upgrades for several years..........

but when you think of the incredible cost and complexity of development of a new fast jet.....and compare that to the number of low cost low maintanece drones (in all their forms).....there must be a lot of number crunching going on

modern warfare is all about profit and loss......the bottom line and bang for yer buck...

35 minutes ago, ditchman said:

our govt' is somewhat reticent of funding the replacement jets to the eurofighter

I think theres a certain tactic within superpowers, where they announce a hi tech project, gen 6 fighter jets, laser weaponry, rail guns or stealth ships, and chortle to themselves as the opposition scrabbles to counter or create the balance they believe they will need.
Some of the R + D is beneficial to other projects, but like Reagans star wars project, the technology, and indeed the NEED for such things are often lacking.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I think theres a certain tactic within superpowers, where they announce a hi tech project, gen 6 fighter jets, laser weaponry, rail guns or stealth ships, and chortle to themselves as the opposition scrabbles to counter or create the balance they believe they will need.
Some of the R + D is beneficial to other projects, but like Reagans star wars project, the technology, and indeed the NEED for such things are often lacking.

wheels within wheels eh!.................wouldnt we love to be in the know

err do we know for certain that Reagans star wars project didnt succeed .......:hmm:    :lol:.......there have been alot of rockets to go up there since Reagan...:whistling: 

Edited by ditchman

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

as i said earlier on.....i have red a couple of articles....(i cant tell you which ones as i cant garuntee the truth of them)....that our govt' is somewhat reticent of funding the replacement jets to the eurofighter....as TIGHTCHOKE says theeurofighter will still go on with upgrades for several years..........

but when you think of the incredible cost and complexity of development of a new fast jet.....and compare that to the number of low cost low maintanece drones (in all their forms).....there must be a lot of number crunching going on

modern warfare is all about profit and loss......the bottom line and bang for yer buck...

Why sink the money into sovereign gen 6 solutions, if we have a reliable partner in the form of the US, the key question at the moment is will we have a reliable partner in the form of the US by the time the make vs. buy decision needs to be made.

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

For sure, the key (rhetorical) question though is do they play by the same rules - does Russia overstate it's Hypersonic ICBM capabilities? - does the US underplay its future "alien tech" propulsion capabilities?

Nobody has mentioned missile/drone defence, we need our own "Kippat Barzel" solution and it needs to be a cost effective solution too, can't keep chucking missiles costing millions at drones costing 10's of thousands.

On the topic of Tech, there's the silicon sovereignty issue too, we'd be in a right pickle if China takes Tawain and we don't have an alternative source of chips (I've not looked recently but TSMC make about 60% of all chips produced globally). And it's not just the control of the chips the Chinese want, they don't have the tech for the silicon fabs at the same nano-metre density that Tawain does.

27 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Nobody has mentioned missile/drone defence, we need our own "Kippat Barzel" solution and it needs to be a cost effective solution too, can't keep chucking missiles costing millions at drones costing 10's of thousands.

The Israeli "Iron Dome" system is rather good, very expensive and not really what we would need.

It protects on a line.

We would need to put it all over the place and it simply would be far too expensive to implement.

As far as I know we don’t have a single ground based continental ballistic missile radar? 

Anything but our own Iron Dome-esque solution leaves us open to short range maritime drone attacks.

I don’t know how many sky sabre batteries we have but they fire 24 missiles I believe and I assume would be strategically deployed to protect critical targets.

So currently our IAMD solution is a combination of destroyers and aircraft deployed for air defence purposes, right?

And that’s not changing any time soon, certainly not before 2029.