McAvoy Guns Standish

After much deliberation and with some reluctance, we have taken the very difficult decision to retire. 
Whilst not averse to selling the business for the right price, we have not advertised it for sale. 
We feel probably the easiest route for us is to simply sell up the stock we currently have at discounted prices and then close the doors. 

31 minutes ago, kevin55 said:
After much deliberation and with some reluctance, we have taken the very difficult decision to retire. 
Whilst not averse to selling the business for the right price, we have not advertised it for sale. 
We feel probably the easiest route for us is to simply sell up the stock we currently have at discounted prices and then close the doors. 

Interesting, he said his daughters and granddaughters were employed there, so why not pass the buck on? 

4 hours ago, spartan7510 said:

Interesting, he said his daughters and granddaughters were employed there, so why not pass the buck on? 

It's hard work and often kids don't want to take on the stress of what may be seen as a hard graft for average return. Or maybe he needs the cash to retire on, rather than hand it down

It would be interesting to see an all woman gunshop though! 

13 hours ago, spartan7510 said:

From reading elsewhere Tim tried stepping back last year but just kept getting drawn in so they've decided to sell up and make a clean break. 

Quite a few employed there, and the shop has been busy over the last few days with people picking up bargains. 

On 11/10/2024 at 08:54, spartan7510 said:

Any gunshop is a bit of a liability to pass on I would imagine.  A very uncertain future with no real prospect of it ever getting better. 

It's a shame because they were a really well known name. I bought from them so did most of my friends.

If I remember correctly they were big on mail order back in the day. The loss of mail order must have affected them.

A sad loss