Game gun

oowee

My silver pigeon is showing signs of age after buying new. Its just 12 years old with the stock cracking at the grip. Very disappointed with it although its nice to use. 

I was hoping to replace it with a Miroku Field that a mate has, but he has decided to keep it. I like the quality of the action and the deep scroll work. I shot well with it when using it on clays. Although it is fixed choke I guess this can be modified. 

If I go out and look for something similar what other guns should be on my list? Around £2k attractive metal work of similar quality? 

2 hours ago, oowee said:

My silver pigeon is showing signs of age after buying new. Its just 12 years old with the stock cracking at the grip. Very disappointed with it although its nice to use. 

I was hoping to replace it with a Miroku Field that a mate has, but he has decided to keep it. I like the quality of the action and the deep scroll work. I shot well with it when using it on clays. Although it is fixed choke I guess this can be modified. 

If I go out and look for something similar what other guns should be on my list? Around £2k attractive metal work of similar quality? 

I've just PM'd you about a 525 Grade 6 I have for sale that might float your boat?

Andy

9 hours ago, oowee said:

It can be multi choked by Teague’s. Nigel Teague did my Miroku. Currently £395 for both barrels. 

Edited by Bobba

19 hours ago, oowee said:

Put a new stock on your current Beretta.......................:cool1:

11 hours ago, Bobba said:

It can be multi choked by Teague’s. Nigel Teague did my Miroku. Currently £395 for both barrels. 

Its £395 for the work and re-proof, plus you need to factor in aprox £100 per choke insert, so it's a minimum of £600 (work + 2 chokes) but realistically it's the best part of a grand to get the work done plus a few choke inserts.

3 hours ago, CoventryWire said:

Its £395 for the work and re-proof, plus you need to factor in aprox £100 per choke insert, so it's a minimum of £600 (work + 2 chokes) but realistically it's the best part of a grand to get the work done plus a few choke inserts.

Your maths already put it as £595 for work, re-proof, plus good chokes. What are you factoring the other £400 on?

On 10/10/2024 at 12:09, oowee said:

Pigs don't usually die after 12 years, but my DT did develop a fault at the face. Have you considered getting it pinned by a gunsmith? My local gunny did it for about £120 and I can't tell he's touched it unless I look super super close.

Maybe consider a made to measure Manuel Ricardo stock for about a grand, and make a holiday out of it to Portugal with the other grand?

Or consider a cheap pigeon field gun for £600-700 and just enjoy it, and if it lasts 5-6 years it's mega low cost gun ownership for a gun you can use and thrash?

For 2k though, you could get a nice little CG Invictus second hand. Some pretty metalwork on limited editions.

On 10/10/2024 at 12:09, oowee said:

Hello, There is a chap on the AGF who would sort out the Stock

Thanks for all the great replies and suggestions. Plenty to think about. I did get the pigeon repaired as the wood is well figured, but its now splitting on the other side of the grip. Unfortunately the guy in bath that did the work has ceased trading. 

There looks to be a few nice guns on the auction site which appeal and that would be something interesting to do. 

The stock suggestion and link from @Stonepark and @TIGHTCHOKE is an idea I had not thought of. I presume I would need both a forend and a stock to get a match and presume there is some work to get the parts fitting nicely? Having bought the pigeon expecting it to last me I am not so inclined to spend more money on it if it's not upto the job. 

Then @HantsRob suggested CG Invictus. I found this which fits the bill if I could get it for under £2k.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/holts-auctioneers/catalogue-id-srholt10026/lot-287690d7-6bd4-40fa-b7e0-b1df00b01f93?queryId=6e47f104236b6dfc594b2651dc559718

I need something for an invite for the end of October so will probably borrow a gun and try my luck in the auction. Just need to understand how they work and where they are. 

38 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Search "shotgun" on the-saleroom.com and you can, set a postcode to show auctions within so many miles only. Or you can search "Beretta" or "Miroku" or what other make of gun you want.

Thanks for the tip. I started to look through but i need a more systematic approach.

If you buy the correct woodwork - per 686 model - it won’t need any fitting work. They slot straight on - mass produced to do so. 12 years isn’t an old gun, so there should be plenty of life left in the metalwork. That’s the sensible (£) option anyway. However, the temptation of a new shiny gun……..! That’s difficult to resist for any of us. Perhaps you don’t want ‘sensible’……🙂

13 hours ago, oowee said:

Thanks for all the great replies and suggestions. Plenty to think about. I did get the pigeon repaired as the wood is well figured, but its now splitting on the other side of the grip. Unfortunately the guy in bath that did the work has ceased trading. 

There looks to be a few nice guns on the auction site which appeal and that would be something interesting to do. 

The stock suggestion and link from @Stonepark and @TIGHTCHOKE is an idea I had not thought of. I presume I would need both a forend and a stock to get a match and presume there is some work to get the parts fitting nicely? Having bought the pigeon expecting it to last me I am not so inclined to spend more money on it if it's not upto the job. 

Then @HantsRob suggested CG Invictus. I found this which fits the bill if I could get it for under £2k.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/holts-auctioneers/catalogue-id-srholt10026/lot-287690d7-6bd4-40fa-b7e0-b1df00b01f93?queryId=6e47f104236b6dfc594b2651dc559718

I need something for an invite for the end of October so will probably borrow a gun and try my luck in the auction. Just need to understand how they work and where they are. 

I strongly suspect you have grown bored with the good old Beretta.

You presumably feel a "NEW" to you gun will bring back the "magic".

Buy your CG, see what you can get for the Beretta as a part exchange, when you know what it might obtain, ping me a PM and I will see if I can offer more for the old girl.

I will then fit new woodwork and offer it for sale and maybe we can both gain from the situation.

18 hours ago, Fellside said:

If you buy the correct woodwork - per 686 model - it won’t need any fitting work. They slot straight on - mass produced to do so. 12 years isn’t an old gun, so there should be plenty of life left in the metalwork. That’s the sensible (£) option anyway. However, the temptation of a new shiny gun……..! That’s difficult to resist for any of us. Perhaps you don’t want ‘sensible’……🙂

Never really been into them until I see something nice 🙂 

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Buy your CG, see what you can get for the Beretta as a part exchange, when you know what it might obtain, ping me a PM and I will see if I can offer more for the old girl.

I will then fit new woodwork and offer it for sale and maybe we can both gain from the situation.

Thank you for the offer I may come back on it. 

6 hours ago, wymberley said:

Have you had a look in the Heathfield emporium?

No I don't know it what is that?