Bank account details

Dead-Eyed Duck

Yep, our leaders have done it again.......

25 million bank account details lost in the post, complete with National Insurance numbers.

I've got to give it to this lot - we thought that it couldn't get any worse :blink: :oops::huh: :huh: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don

Imagine if all the details of SG and FAC holders went missing!

The position and contents of all gunsafes would be revealed.

You'd think that Stuart...

Ok, lets be frank... You are at risk if you are claiming the sort of benefits that were lost. So, if you are or have been claiming child support/benefit/whatever, you are possibly compromised. Note the "possibly". The discxs _could_ just be lost. But, if you want to fear the worst, then plan for it.

Personally, I think this is just typical of most governments. They are, for the most part, run by numpties and this rolls down hill... Just like water. Or poo. They have little or no common sense, know they are unlikely to get fired and so they just do what the hell they want. Maybe they should let people know who the numpty and his boss are pour encourage les autres as it were.

The issue isn't really that the details were posted, it's that they weren't encrypted. Under the Data Protection Act, at my work we are not allowed to send customer details offsite without encrypting them - because encryption is the only way to protect the data. All this stuff about sending stuff in the post or by registered mail or secure courier is just fluff. The fact is that they didn't encrypt the data and thus are liable under the Data Protection Act.

dont see what all the fuss is about ?

whos ever written a cheque ? i presume about 95% of people on here, you give someone a cheque and you give them your account number, sort code and a sample of your signature

Yeah, but not your National Insurance number, date of birth and children's names. I'm not bothered about the bank stuff, as you say we give that all the time, it's the combination of that with the other information that is extremely useful to identity thieves.

whos ever written a cheque ? i presume about 95% of people on here, you give someone a cheque and you give them your account number, sort code and a sample of your signature

Yeah, but not your National Insurance number, date of birth and children's names. I'm not bothered about the bank stuff, as you say we give that all the time, it's the combination of that with the other information that is extremely useful to identity thieves.

Indeed, it includes family names (maiden names) previous addresses - the information lost really is "the whole nine yards"

In fact it's all the information they need to help detect a fraud and or an indentity theft......... this way if they know *everything* there is to know about your personal details, then if a fraudster were to make a benefit application in your name or you were to monkey with the system and make multiple claims (for example) then they would have all the definitive information available and be able to pounce in a highly efficient manner and stop the fraud / identity crime from being perpetrated.

Problem is, when distributing this golden information they couldn't cough for the price of guaranteed next day delivery.

Makes my **** boil. Speaking of which, where has PIN been recently - probably filling out child benefit application forms?

Indeed, it includes family names (maiden names) previous addresses - the information lost really is "the whole nine yards"

In fact it's all the information they need to help detect a fraud and or an indentity theft......... this way if they know *everything* there is to know about your personal details, then if a fraudster were to make a benefit application in your name or you were to monkey with the system and make multiple claims (for example) then they would have all the definitive information available and be able to pounce in a highly efficient manner and stop the fraud / identity crime from being perpetrated.

Problem is, when distributing this golden information they couldn't cough for the price of guaranteed next day delivery.

Makes my **** boil. Speaking of which, where has PIN been recently - probably filling out child benefit application forms?

What if the person who has got it if anybody does, copies it and sells them to other fraudsters. no way of stopping it then is there.

But as said before this is just another excuse for the government to make identity cards, ( if they think I am paying £100 for a bit of plastic they can eat there owns balls)