Clean / Dirty Cartridges

Hi,

Currently shooting a Lyvale (Express) Special Game in No6 fibre wad and the barrels after a few shots are absolutely filthy and are a right pain to clean and get shining. It's like looking down the tubes of a black powder burner.

Can anyone recommend a cleaner shooting fibre wad cartridge? I need a fibre wad as some of my permissions are grassland and i shoot in a fibre only syndicate in winter. I suppose i could buy half fibre and half plastic for the other bits of land but i still don't like the idea of leaving little bits of plastic lying around for my childrens children to have to worry about cleaning up.

I have experianced a few problems with D&J as well.....the brass pulling off the hulls on extraction leaving the hull in the chamber, primers not seated properly so no detonation on the first try and exceptionally dirty on the bores making cleaning a real chore. They seem to do the job when they fire okay but I won't buy them again.

F

To be honest, I used to shoot with D & Js all the time, without a problem and I didn't even find them particularly dirty. The only reason why I stopped using them is that when cartridges started rising in price, D & Js just went silly and some of the places near me just stopped stocking them, because they were overcharging.

Never had even one misfire, in thousands of cartridges. I suspect some of them don't have any shot in, though :blush::lol::D

I've qalways found cheap RIO's very clean. I bought a thousand Eley firsts recently, it takes about 10 times as long to get barrels clean and I have very tough marks round the forcing cones that I can't shift. I can;t use the Eley's up quickly enough - have been putting as many as I can through the gun and then finishing with a box of RIO's to try to clean it through a bit before I stop shooting.

Express use high quality powders. If your barrels are dirty after using them is likely that storage or useage conditions, rather than the cartridge, are your problem.

Cartridge powder is like silica gel, and takes up moisture easily from surrounding air. Then they burn dirty. It will even happen if you store well but are out in damp conditions.

Before you rush off and get another brand, and find no difference, check that you are storing at room temp ( not in the garage unless heated), and that humidity in the storage is low, and that they stay warm and dry in your cartridge bag when out shooting.

Jerry

Before you rush off and get another brand, and find no difference, check that you are storing at room temp ( not in the garage unless heated), and that humidity in the storage is low, and that they stay warm and dry in your cartridge bag when out shooting.

Jerry

Carts are stored fine by me but i cannot vouch for them before i get hold of them. Local supplier seems to keep them in a shipping container outside, maybe thats it. Anyway have bitten the bullet as it were and have bought some Eley CT from an alternate source.

I suppose i should have pointed out in my first post that these are for a 20 gauge, kinda limits my choice a bit.

Edited by Sprinter

• 3 weeks later...
If you want clean fast cartridges i would recomend:

ELEY VIP in any load

RC 4 caccia

ELEY grand prix and impact

Game bores super game hi bird

and OK GAME by noble sports

BUT DO NOT USE HULLS THREE CROWN

i hope this helps

why do you say no to 3 crowns i hate them aswell but the OK game are fantastick

Just clean your bloody gun after shooting and stop moaning!

:yp: :lol: :lol:

Probably the best advice on here :yes:

There's an awful lot of flannel bandied about regarding "dirty" cartridges.

Usually a bit of unburnt powder that gets blasted out with the next shot. If you clean your gun occasionally, I don't see a bit of muck as much of a problem :yes:

• 3 weeks later...
why do you say no to 3 crowns i hate them aswell but the OK game are fantastick

There just not constant eought like 2 cartidges out of the same box and batch will not be even slighty simalar and the amount of unburnt powder is unreal and these were no old cartidges!!

also i have tried them in all of my 12 bores and the one that refusted to use the was my new Beretta xtrema2 they would jam in the action and some times the cartridge would not fit in the camber because the end was to big! and the funny thing is it would cyical through all of the other ones plus some others i cannt remeber.

I REALLY DONT RATE HULL INGENERAL BUT I DO RATE RC,GAMEBORE.ELEY,NOBEL SPORT,EXPRESS AND VICTORY

YES OK GAME ARE FANTASTICK TO BAD THAT ITS HARD TO GET THE FIBER WAD VESTION AND I KNOW THAT JUST CARTRIDGES SELL THEM BUT FOR A 250 BOX OF WHAT EVER TAKE A MIMIUM OF £12 QUID OF IT!