Who here can bang out a round of Skeet straight?

Peter De La Mare

Can you shoot Skeet straight?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Can you shoot Skeet straight?

• Yes
    • No
    • Nearly, 23/24 ex 25

After making a return to Sporting after a 12 year break I thought I'd have a quick play with English Skeet and was quite pleased when my first 3 rounds produced results of 17, 23 and 23.

I can get the singles without problem, and before they get to the centre pin, but I missed the same high bird from the high house on stand 4, and the low house from stand 5 on every round. ??? I'm sure I'll work that little problem out this weekend and shoot my first straight :sick:

So, is it something special or a pretty much run of the mill thing? I see the results of some 100 bird shoots and see some guys/gals not dropping any, or maybe 1 and think that must require a high level of shooting and concentration.

Also, would it be considered sad to shoot 25 straight and then apply for a CPSA straight badge :drinks::drinks:

Edited by Peter De La Mare

Shooting 25 staright at any discipline is all in your head. keeping it all together until the end.

I personally don't like skeet but can shoot mid twenties consistently. If I enjoyed it and got my act together then I could straight it, I do not have a bogey bird I normally miss the odd one or two. Sometimes it's the first sometimes it's the last.

I use to struggle like hell on stand 4, but a bit of practice put pay to that.

Never got above 21! Some days i can smack the **** out of the doubles of stand 4 then fluff stand 6 or 2 or whatever. Other days i just can't do stand 4 at all.

As martin said, it's a concentration/head thing.

I like skeet for a practice but can't and won't shoot it weekend after weekend. I find sporting more fun/frustrating. ???

Edited by Markio

Yep, 75 straight, though last time out I only managed 24/23 ???

Probably shot it about 30 times before my first 25ex25

It's not "easy" but it's certainly not as difficult as other disciplines. All the targets are easily hittable individually, get the speed up on the pairs, pickup points are crucial (especially for station 2 pairs, if anything my bogy targets).

Yep, have been known to put in the odd straight..

As was mentioned before, its all done to concentration. When I do drop clays on skeet (and I normally do one or two per round), I almost always know where I have missed - had I been giving the shot my full concentration and gotten everything right it would have been a kill.

My best is a 23, I find that I have to be relaxed and to have my shooting vest on and not my shooting coat, less upper body clothes the better I can swing on pegs 3,4 & 5, footwork is where I sometimes go wrong and peg 4 is also the one that causes me the most problems, sometimes I sail through it other times I miss my singles and pair.

It also helps to use cyl & skeet with no 9 shot but I usually use 1/4 & 1/4 with 7 1/2 shot to sharpen me up on sporting.

Thanks for the replies chaps. Seems that if you're sober and concentrating it shouldn't be so hard to do.

I'm going to give it a worthwhile effort over the weekend and report back.

the thing to do is not think about it at all, go out and hit targets, the best you will shoot is when your having fun, add competition to it and the wheels fall off, in your case it would be great to hit a straight, your first, but its not the end of the world if you dont.

my first was with my mrs pulling the targets, she kept forgetting to push the button for me and the other shooter, i spent more time reminding her of what she was doing, and not what i was doing, got to the last stand and thought holy shot ive a shell left for number 25, big smile and roasted it, grin from ear to ear, off to club house and collect badge,,,,,, from then it was all about the comp's, the best i ran was a 125 straight for the win in a shootoff *** cheeks tighter than Pavmans wallet :lol: kidding Dan, got a little cocky with a mouthy club member and ran a 50 from the hip on him, he was quiet after, only shot 1 straight right handed though, born a lefty stay a lefty, the main thing though is have fun, its a discipline that will bore some and ruffle others.

good luck for the weekend :good:

Martin

English Skeet, like DTL, is a consistency thing.

Once you have learnt to break any given target, whether you hit them all or not is down to consistency and concentration.

Some people love this challenge, can I do it again on the round? Others hate it and want the challenge of needing to work out new or harder clays.

If you are a perfectionist, striving for the ultimate 25/25, and then 100/100 will be your joy. If you want the challenge and are bored with stage straights, then move up to ISSF skeet where straights are much rarer, and every target is a challenge, or O/T if you are bored with DTL.

Jerry

If you can hit 17 you can hit them all, really. It will depend on where you drop targets as to what to do, but 17 is enough of them to just make a couple of small changes and you'll be there.

People who can hit 23/24 are so close to 25, it's not ability that's the problem you are all easily good enough for the 25, pure concentration is all that's needed to get that last target or two.

Never tried it, but as I'm not a great concentrator, I can't imagine I'd do too well.

Sounds like I'd have a bit of a job staying awake for 25 :rolleyes:

I will try it one day :unsure:

let me know how mmany times you nod off when you try, dont kid yourself buddy, this game is adictive, you hit an 18 you want 20, you hit 21 you want 23, and so on, suddenly you figure the game out and your score drops, now your thinking about it again, i've shot a gazilion birds in skeet as other games, the only rule is this, the only easy target out there is the one you've just broken, the next one,,,,,,,you havent hit it yet......... i have a four barrel skeet set i take out on occasion, i have shot straights with the 12g 20g and 28g, the .410" kills me 23 is my best, they wernt pretty but they broke, try it and tell me its boring.

Martin

p.s. any one want to buy a 4 barrel miroku skeet gun................

******, a brace of 23's again. :good:

Bogey stand this time was stand 2 and 6.

Going to approach it a little differently next weekend. I'm having difficultly getting my 'race face' on. Could be because where I shoot is very informal and friendly. I'll definately be working on the concentration aspect.

Also going to swap my half and 3/4 chokes for cylinder/skeet. I'll be happy to swap the big black dust clouds where the clay once was for a chipped-but-still-dead clay.

a brace of 23's ain't bad at all!! But there's no such thing as a bogey stand/bird in skeet. Last time out you had problems with stand 4 and 5 and yesterday stands 2 and 6. Therefore you can obviously hit all birds on all stands at some point, BUT, the skill comes in hitting them all in the same round. Its all down to concentration, i've hit a few straights and countless 23's/24's so i know i CAN do it, it's just being in the right frame of mind i reckon. I shot a few rounds of skeet yesterday and it was pretty windy which made for an interesting afternoon, but i dropped birds which i wouldn't normally do, but i could stand there and practice that particular target for ages until i could hit it with my eyes closed, but in different weather conditions/frame of mind etc it becomes a different target and i'd drop it again. I'm kinda waffling here but i guess what i'm trying to say is it's nowhere near as easy as some would have you believe.

Certainly skeet/skeet, skeet/cylinder would help, 28g no.9 shells won't harm either. If you're hitting 23's with 1/2 and 3/4 you shouldn't have too much problem hitting a straight in the very near future with a more open set up. Good luck

Only done Skeet 3 times as i only started shooting clays at xmas .

Yesterday i hit 16 !! the funny thing was on stand number 1 i hit the high and low singles , then when shooting at the high first with both birds together !! i shot both birds with the first shot second was clipped then shot the remains of the second .

He said nothing for two in a bed and i had to retake the shots .

Lucky i managed to hit both again .

Its so easy to stop the gun i have found