What is the most economical 4 x 4 ???

HEAD SHOT

To an even greater extent than with most cars, a 4x4's consumption depends very heavily on the weight of the driver's right foot.

As an example, the car before my present one was a Nissan X-Trail with a 2 litre diesel engine. Over the 40,000 miles I drove in it, my average mpg was between 44 and 45. A friend with an identical car only averaged 31 mpg. (and his tyres only lasted half as long as mine!)

I find the same with my current Pathfinder. Nissan's official figure is 29 mpg. Before I started towing a caravan last summer, it had averaged 39 mpg. Since starting towing, my overall average over the 60,000 miles I have done in it is down to 36 mpg. If I do journey checks when I am actually towing a caravan, it is only 25 mpg.

Land Rover doesn't know the meaning of fuel economy. But then nothing does off-roading as well as a Land Rover, in my experience. I have a Discovery, and drive a Defender every day, working in farming

It sounds like you need fuel economy more than the off-road capability, so I'd point you towards a Freelander, Shogun or X-Trail.

As a mechanic in the army for the last 20 years i would avoid anything made by LR, yes they go ok but build quality is kak, I drive an l200 had no probs with that, had a hilux before that also no probs , would avaoid nissan as worse than LR, have you looked at the LADA if what you want is a cheap drive it till it dies?That said I had a petrol Samurai 1.3 for a few years , great wagon , that would go places only a tank can get , weight like a bean can, with big feet, no problemo!!

I worked in Africa with the army for quite a while , 2 years odd all in all , and I have seen many there, older models you understand, the African will not take what will not work so theres my answer.Dont know a thing about the new ones, seen a few around here, mostly pulling horse boxes , which they seem good at.I would allways go for the pick up with hard back option because it keeps, wet smelly dogs/dead game/blood/ticks/fleas/smell out of the cab with me!!

You want to hear from mechanics that work on thousands of LR without a biased opinion, ask the Army REME mechanic!!I am one , as is the guy in the previous post and it amazes me how many soldiers buy a LR.............soft *****............can I say that?

Add in the cost of purchase and Freelander 2's look expensive, plus the petrol version is a thirsty V6 (IIRC), to try and address the the complaint that Freelander 1 pertol version (1.8) was underpowered. I know landrover tried to pitch the FL2 as a 'main' car and have priced it accordingly, many people think they got that bit wrong - but since FL2 were released the price of good 2nd hand Freelander 1's have gone down dramatically.

The 1.8 petrol FL1 is nice to drive (I have one), torquey, nippy around town, but not so happy doing 70mph on the mway - really needs a 6th gear, but loves being off road. Try a Td4 perhaps?

When townies like me get a FL it is used as a 2nd car and well looked after so low mileage ones are common.

Thats what i'd do. Get the 4 door fixed roof.

Landrovers always hold their value, and like some people say - nothing better off road.

If you want something at home on the black top as is as capable in the brown, is well fitted, extremely reliable. flexible and economical the the Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.9 ddis is worth a second look.

Have no fear over their off road capabilities Ive driven every modern 4 x 4 off road in trials days and the Suzuki was all round the best. Of the others the Nissan Xtrail comes close

Unfortunately despite the longevity of the brand and their appreciation around the world the Discovery and Freelander always come bottom of the reliability surveys.

I have a Honda 2.2 CDti which is Euro IV rated and returns an average of 42 MPG

Its suprisingly good off road with its electronically operated 4 wheel drive.

Consider a Merc G wagon, not the most economic but IMO one of the best 4x4s in production, all the good aspects of a landrover defender but with quality build and more comfort.

If merc made made a comercial spec g wagon without rear seats or load area windows then Id drive one. Wouldnt recomend anything nissan, although its been ok mechanically my Navara is terrible in respect to build quality.

As a mechanic in the army for the last 20 years i would avoid anything made by LR, yes they go ok but build quality is kak, I drive an l200 had no probs with that, had a hilux before that also no probs , would avaoid nissan as worse than LR, have you looked at the LADA if what you want is a cheap drive it till it dies?That said I had a petrol Samurai 1.3 for a few years , great wagon , that would go places only a tank can get , weight like a bean can, with big feet, no problemo!!

hi, this reply made me quite mad to say the least, army personnel avoiding the land rover... what rubbish.... the trusty landrover is very respected in the forces and gets just about everywhere in what ever the condition as long as the driver is experianced. As i am aware the army mechanic is in fact the vm? the fitter and not the mechanic? i am right here in thinking i believe and to compare a landrover with a samurai? well that says it all really does it not

i spent 16 years in the forces and dealt heavily with the defenders and wolf, the wolf was un beatable as long as respected, thirsty i agree but what real work horse isnt