A Little Rant !

Salop Matt

Hay folks just a quick rant to let off some steam !

Been clay shooting today with my brand spanking new Beretta Silver Pigeon S, the first time i have ever shot it . I havent had a session on the clays in 6 months now but still ........... 60 Clays 10 stands so 3 pair per stand. Any how I go to the first stand and by some fluke i staright it, 6/6 :lol: then stand 2 and 5/6 :blink: needless to say I was very happy ( only had mrs SS with me to mark and trap) and on a little high.

But then a Gentleman came over who was shooting alone and proceeded to tell me that my gun was just a basic thing and nothing compaired to his £4,000 gun he is sponsored to shoot :lol: he then went on to tell me that my gun shot high and that i should either go get the stock altered or take it back to the shop for a different better gun ! :good: I bit my tounge and didnt tell him where to put his choke key but needles to say he had watered my bonfire and my moral took a tumble leaving me with 3`s and 2`s on the rest of the stands so my total at the end was 30.

What was this gent thinking ? Had it of been my first ever time shooting clays i could of been put off the sport completly !

Sorry to vent on here but has anyone else experienced this before ?

Am not to sure why am telling you all but had to get it out of my system ! :lol:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I could do with some taking off the combe of the stock but this gent seemed to have such an ego and big mouth telling me how good he was etc . Does this happen regurly on many grounds ? :blink: its people like him who sare newbies off, friendly help and advice is great and one thing but this just shocked me ! :good:

I wouldn't say this happens a lot, shooting folk are in general very helpful and supportive, especially of beginners. However you do get them now and again, but it's not just limited to shooting, any sport or pastime you take part in has its big-heads and snobs. Just take it with a pinch of salt and carry on as you are. :blink:

If someone thinks they need a 4k gun and to wander about handing out "advice" like that then they have very big problems.

That gun, if it fits you, will break them the same as his over priced table leg.

Ignore him and just do your thing, as you've proven it's all about confidence. If he needs to wander about telling people how much his gun cost in order to fell confident then I think that gives you some measure of the guy :blink:

Its sad but true you get these **** every were doing every thing,,,,,,, but give your self a pat on the back as you did'nt put him on his and you still have the decancey to call him a gent when infact he's a genital :angry::hmm: :hmm:

enjoy your new gun and enjoy the £3000 you saved maybe he needs sponsoring to to shut up

Well I would just build my confidence up, focus on the targets and once i was confident at hitting a good round, i would go back to the same shoot and hopefully show this idiot what a low price gun could do.....

my only comment to him, would be, "nice little gun, hits the targets well"

Dont let the idiot get you down, the world is full of people with their heads up their backsides :angry:

A chap used to appear every now and then at my old ground, he was the owner of a transport company and had plenty of time and money....he shot every day with his £4000 Perazzi. He only used our shoot on days when he had nothing else to go to.

He was very competetive, and it was part of his 'Game plan ' to unsettle fellow shooters, allways critical of style ,guns and cartridges .... anything to distract you or cause you to think about something else other than your next shot.

He was told on several occaisions to be quiet and even to go forth and multiply.... but he had very thick skin.

Most guys are helpfull and sympathetic if you have a bad day, but you will allways get the odd one who does nothing else but try to destroy your day.... thankfully they are in the minority.

Dave

If someone thinks they need a 4k gun and to wander about handing out "advice" like that then they have very big problems.

That gun, if it fits you, will break them the same as his over priced table leg.

Ignore him and just do your thing, as you've proven it's all about confidence. If he needs to wander about telling people how much his gun cost in order to fell confident then I think that gives you some measure of the guy :)

I have to agree with this, he's a small **** in a big bowl :lol:

You need to build up your confidence, then you will give off an air that tells these people to do one, without you even having to open your mouth. :hmm:

Works for me :lol:

Nobody gives me any unwanted advice, even when I want some :hmm::angry::hmm::good:

I listen to my shooter friends when they give me words of advise but i hate the random people who don't know you (or very well) shouting advice. One one occasion was having problems on fast crosser. Guy behind me kept shouting 'swing through' and at one point grabbed the barrels to demonstrate his point after i'd loaded it and bought it up to my shoulder. For many reasons at the time i kept my mouth shut but i won't be so polite if anything that stupid or dangerous happens again.

As Pin has so rightly pointed out, these guys are a bit deficient, i see them often when i visit customer sites through work. 'Short man syndrome' would be the best all round description.

Edited by Markio

hi all,

i quite agree with this post entirly, when i go to the clay school which is not often and i am far from a sharp shooter, in fact i am lucky at the moment to hit half the clays fired at but still enjoy every bit and would rather learn myself rather than take lessons. i shoot for fun and not to take it serious to the effect of loosing the pleasure.

we also find that as soon as enter the stand and pull the trigger there are always people waiting to tell you where you are going wrong and what you should be doing and what gun are you using etc etc, most are just trying to be a little helpfull and this is understandable but as said you do get the ones that go the extra mile and this is off putting and makes me feel like leaving as cannot just enjoy the shoot.

i must admitt that i do now try to find empty stands and if someone comes to shoot the same stand i move on to a empty one to save this from happening, silly really but thats what i do now

But then a Gentleman came over who was shooting alone and proceeded to tell me that my gun was just a basic thing and nothing compaired to his £4,000 gun he is sponsored to shoot :angry::hmm:

I'm sorry but I simply don't believe you, I think you've "buttered it up" a tad, no sponsored shooter goes around clay shoots mocking other peoples efforts and rubbishing their equipment, it doesn't happen that way. His sponsor would soon pull the plug on him if he heard about it.

Was this guy known to you, because strangers don't act that way..??

Cat.

Edited by Catamong

Unfortunatly you get people like that in all sports, Im into bikes aswell, some will turn up with all the gear and no idea, start telling others how to ride, and that you need a 10k machine etc etc. As stated in the original post he was shooting alone............ I wonder why!! :angry:

But then a Gentleman came over who was shooting alone and proceeded to tell me that my gun was just a basic thing and nothing compaired to his £4,000 gun he is sponsored to shoot :angry::hmm:

I'm sorry but I simply don't believe you, I think you've "buttered it up" a tad, no sponsored shooter goes around clay shoots mocking other peoples efforts and rubbishing their equipment, it doesn't happen that way. His sponsor would soon pull the plug on him if he heard about it.

Was this guy an known to you, because strangers don't act that way..??

Cat.

Just because the ''gent'' SAID he was sponsored, doesnt mean he didnt make it up !!!!

Theres no need to make such negative comments like that!!!

Edited by chrispti

must admit im with cat on this one. sponsered shooters dont go around bragging 'ive got a £4k gun and its better than yours' ive never met one anyway.

people get sponsered for various reasons but most have good manners and i find it hard to believe.

But then a Gentleman came over who was shooting alone and proceeded to tell me that my gun was just a basic thing and nothing compaired to his £4,000 gun he is sponsored to shoot :hmm: he then went on to tell me that my gun shot high and that i should either go get the stock altered or take it back to the shop for a different better gun ! :angry: I bit my tounge and didnt tell him where to put his choke key but needles to say he had watered my bonfire and my moral took a tumble leaving me with 3`s and 2`s on the rest of the stands so my total at the end was 30.

Find out who sponsors him and tell them what he's doing to potential customers in their name?

must admit im with cat on this one. sponsered shooters dont go around bragging 'ive got a £4k gun and its better than yours' ive never met one anyway.

people get sponsered for various reasons but most have good manners and i find it hard to believe.

I would have thought people get sponsored because they win competitions and are, therefore, an ideal and high-profile advertising platform for the sponsor's product.

I can't imagine a sponsor vetting shooters to ascertain whether they are ********* or not. :angry:

I know of at least one ex-England shooter, heavily sponsored, who has the manners of a pig and is, therefore (in my opinion) an appalling advert for the sponsor's product, if things are to be measured in that way. If they are to be measured solely on how well he shoots, then OK, he's a good advert for them

Edited by Chard

not all people who win big shoots get sponsers, take my word for that. i did say MOST sponsered shooters. not many companys will sponser a complete t//t. i no some shooters who have not yet got to county level but they have better sponsership packages than some who have won national championships.

its a lot more a case of who you no and if your face fits.

their are a few who shoot worsley (your local, and my x-local) who are sponsered but could not cope if they shot elswhere.

Was this guy an known to you, because strangers don't act that way..??

Cat.

This was my first thought as well. :hmm: