The green "P" plate.

Cranfield

It may be one of those "I haven't noticed it before" things, but I do seem to be seeing a lot more of the green "P" plates on cars.

Most are being driven by young people and I was wondering if its a requirement of some Insurance Companies, I can't imagine the young blokes having them by choice.

They sort of declare, "I have passed my test, but I just scraped through so I need watching". :yes:

optional, never seen a requirement for them, it just screams, i am over cautious, cant really drive and struggled to pass.... so you all need to know

My instructor told me not to get them (not that i would) as they just encourage people to react strangely to your car, and increase the chance of an incident early in your driving career.

It may be one of those "I haven't noticed it before" things, but I do seem to be seeing a lot more of the green "P" plates on cars.

Most are being driven by young people and I was wondering if its a requirement of some Insurance Companies, I can't imagine the young blokes having them by choice.

They sort of declare, "I have passed my test, but I just scraped through so I need watching". :oops:

Naaah their P for Polish silly........ :yes:

Must be well over 10% young Polish drivers in Ashford now, Mrs D,s company employs hundreds of them, all with cheap english bangers, mostly taxed and legal etc but little or no road savvy.

If its not a legal requirement to display the green P plate after just passing then it should be made so, otherwise how does anyone know to make allowances, imo its a very good idea.

:oops: D2D

Passing a driving test is the same as a car passing an M.O.T. it's only valid for that day! So long as you

satisfy the examiner in that 45 minutes or so BINGO you're home free! You could have drove like a complete moron

in all your 50 odd lessons, have a lucky test, pass then drive like a complete moron for ever! Doesn't make sense to me. :yes:

mmmmm funny that last post came up ive been driving for just under a year and me and a couple of friends were saying it would be good if they have some way of assessing someone over a fairly long period of time. this followed by a long discussion on how they would do it... we didnt come up with any interesting ideas.

and for the 'p' plates. they are optional and i would never use them, apparently they have the same affect as 'L' plates and i was amazed the difference when i took my 'L' plates off. no one pulls out in front of you (ok, less do) and no one does general idiotic things to get in front of you.

Lets face it if many of us see some dippy driver do something unpredictable in front we at least mouth some kind of derision to ourselves, or gesticulate or bang the horn if we think the driver ought to know better.

I treat the "P" as an "N" for novice driver - might be a tad nervous or unpredictable in certain circumstances, and am a little more tolerant towards them. I also appreciate they had the decency to advise me of there inexperience.

Great idea I think it should be extended to cover van drivers (me) with a W plate, pensioners should have an OC, sales reps a T or a FT depending on their driving style and weomen a B or a FB depending on their mood on the day.

:yes:

What a great idea, it would save me from losing my voice on long journeys.

Or perhaps some kind of MP3 player for a horn, which would yell the various insults for you.

ZB

Lets face it if many of us see some dippy driver do something unpredictable in front we at least mouth some kind of derision to ourselves, or gesticulate or bang the horn if we think the driver ought to know better.

I treat the "P" as an "N" for novice driver - might be a tad nervous or unpredictable in certain circumstances, and am a little more tolerant towards them. I also appreciate they had the decency to advise me of there inexperience.

Exaclty.

I dont advocate P plates for my students after passing the practical test.

I teach the pass pluss course, covering motorways etc , generally pupils want to do it in there own cars, a couple have had P plates on and it basically made them targets, one was driving along a nsl road, we were working on making progress and just trying to get them going faster on clear roads ....... the ammount of people that dived out of side roads infornt of us was un true, my take is that they do not want to get stuck behind a novice, totally underestimating the speed!

I went to buy the optional "P" plates but the nice man in the shop suggested I did NOT buy them as it will make the driver a target for idiots trying to bully a new driver. His son was bullied by idiots thinking they would have some fun and scare the new driver. Heard it happen to girls as well.

What a shame that a seemingly good idea ends up being ruined by a minority of idiots seeking cheap thrills at someone elses expense.

Carrying on the subject of young/new drivers (not wishing to derail/hijack this thread), as any of you noticed a mark

disregard to the DRINKING AND DRIVING law? we have young friends who think nothing of having a few drinks and

because they can stand up deem them selves fit to DRIVE! no matter how many times i try to point out the

unacceptable consequences it always seems to fall on deaf ears!!

Carrying on the subject of young/new drivers (not wishing to derail/hijack this thread), as any of you noticed a mark

disregard to the DRINKING AND DRIVING law? we have young friends who think nothing of having a few drinks and

because they can stand up deem them selves fit to DRIVE! no matter how many times i try to point out the

unacceptable consequences it always seems to fall on deaf ears!!

I would agree, its not normally the youngsters either, i have often watched older people at my local having dinner with a bottle of wine or two and driving.

Because they are older, perhaps they think they are less likely to be stopped, while garry and his extra wide wheels will always be pulled over :yes:

Whats the deal in Northern Ireland? I believe you guys have to have P plates for year after passing dont you? And arent meant to drive over 45mph!?

'R' plates have to displayed for one year from the date of passing your test. You are restricted to 45 mph until the 'R' plates come down.

Okay - so it isnt Northern Ireland that asks new drivers to use the P plates - could it be the rest of Ireland? I definitely recall watching a programme years ago about them using the P plate and only being allowed in the car themselves unless the other person held a full licence.

My eldest son used the P plate and it did him no harm. People were generally more polite and forgiving towards him when he had this on display. Only time it went against him was when he wasn't showing it. :good:

It has nothing to do with how good or bad a driver you are. It is simply letting others know you are still a novice driver and therefore, may do something a bit out of the ordinary. Give them plenty of room and allow them to learn their roadcraft a bit better <_<<_<<_<

Pushkin :good:

Okay - so it isnt Northern Ireland that asks new drivers to use the P plates - could it be the rest of Ireland? I definitely recall watching a programme years ago about them using the P plate and only being allowed in the car themselves unless the other person held a full licence.

My eldest son used the P plate and it did him no harm. People were generally more polite and forgiving towards him when he had this on display. Only time it went against him was when he wasn't showing it. :good:

It has nothing to do with how good or bad a driver you are. It is simply letting others know you are still a novice driver and therefore, may do something a bit out of the ordinary. Give them plenty of room and allow them to learn their roadcraft a bit better <_<<_<<_<

Pushkin :good:

'P' plate or 'R' plate it's the same thing

I think the drink drive advertising has had a positive effect on young drivers. It is socially unacceptable and not cool to do it. The only people who drink and drive in my experience is the older generations. 'One for the road' mentality and all that.