Alsatian or Rottweiler

Fleabag

We have just quoted for a job that requires six men over a long period, the customer thinks we might need a dog to assist us because of the ***** risk, any way my question is will a guard dog work with all these men/women and protect them, or will it be confused as to who is its partner-keeper. should I try to employ one dog handler. with a license.

Whatever dog you might chose, you are asking a lot. If you put a dog in an enclosed space which it comes to regard as its own, it will defend that area. It will not discriminate bewteen good or bad unless it knows the people.

I have had four German Shepherds - we are now on our second and third Akitas. A whole lot bigger than GSDs and Rottweillers. All 7 dogs defended my property unconditionally.

Depends what you really want - a dog to defend an enclosed space or a dog patrol to walk around the area.

Edited by Gordon R

You might be better off with a 24 hour security company who have dogs as standard.

Trying to expect a dog to distinguish between a friend and foe takes a lot of contact time. also a dog left on it's own overnight can easily be overcome. A place we did some contracting to had their Doberman poisoned with injected meat. Ended up being put to sleep and the stock still got stolen.

You might be better off with a 24 hour security company who have dogs as standard.

Trying to expect a dog to distinguish between a friend and foe takes a lot of contact time. also a dog left on it's own overnight can easily be overcome. A place we did some contracting to had their Doberman poisoned with injected meat. Ended up being put to sleep and the stock still got stolen.

Cheers, sound like the latter option then, employ a handler. :yp:

A dog and handler are worth their weight in gold, they will cover more ground and previde more of a presence than a team of men... plus on a running lead the dog can search in bushes and do his thing while the handler walks center.... giving the handler an advanced warning of any trouble.

Look at a proper police dog and handlers in riots the crowd soon disperse

the exact same thing happened to my german shepherd dog. young lads wanted to steel my motorbike so they poisened him over a few days. turns out my naighbour saw people feeding him in the night but didn't see fit to tell anyone. but its important to have a handler there too because my sister had a good guard dog, but after he chased one lad off, he came back mob handed while the house was empty and the just gave the dog a kicking. ideally the dog and handler should have worked together for a while beforehand too.

Fleabag, you'll need a trained patrol dog and SIA licensed handler. Most use GSD's or similar. Rotties are sometimes used but usually they are reserved for occasions when an overtly aggressive looking presence is desired.

I can put you in touch with someone down south who would be happy to provide advice if you want - just drop me a pm.

Edited by Bagsy

im a dog handler in the services rotties are not used anymore as they can be unpredictabl and are not very agile. german shepherds are better in both respects, but even better are the dogs we are getting through the system now malinois (belgium shepherds) these dogs are fearless and when they hit they hit hard, when we bait these dogs 9 times in 10 they take us down cause of the speed they hit at. Depending on the individual dogs ability can take as little as 12 weeks to train. they will need bite work training for security work. i wouldnt rely on a dog to bite through aggression it is unpredictable.

Neither .

A Presa Canario , is the boy for the job . A very good friend of mine has a few greyhounds , and he also breeds presa's . I went early one morning to help out with the walking of the dogs . I am no stranger to "big dogs" been brought up with them all my life , and have walked into many yards with dogs running loose . They know if your scared . Back to the tale , i arrived at the kennels to be met by a presa . There was NO WAY i was getting out of my car . These things are lumps !

all the best yis yp :yp:

i havent read the other reponses but i suggest a rottwieller as i dont like german shepherds i for 1 think theyre cowards and also think people who own them are [send a german shephard towards me and ill show it how to retreat][im **** scared of them but still know how to treat them}

i havent read the other reponses but i suggest a rottwieller as i dont like german shepherds i for 1 think theyre cowards and also think people who own them are [send a german shephard towards me and ill show it how to retreat][im **** scared of them but still know how to treat them}

you dont like german shepherds mine is no coward come into my back garden at night and you will see,you wont retreat mine, you are talking out your ***

Neither .

A Presa Canario , is the boy for the job . A very good friend of mine has a few greyhounds , and he also breeds presa's . I went early one morning to help out with the walking of the dogs . I am no stranger to "big dogs" been brought up with them all my life , and have walked into many yards with dogs running loose . They know if your scared . Back to the tale , i arrived at the kennels to be met by a presa . There was NO WAY i was getting out of my car . These things are lumps !

all the best yis yp :yp:

I was gonna say to you contact YP but apparently he has been let out of prison early.

LB

Pegleg 31 - over a number of years I have seen some really stupid statements and generalisations, but I think you have just won first prize. First you slag off a courageous breed of dog - they used them in the wars. Then you proceed to slag off their owners. Perhaps a brain might help your thought process.

Pegleg 31 - over a number of years I have seen some really stupid statements and generalisations, but I think you have just won first prize. First you slag off a courageous breed of dog - they used them in the wars. Then you proceed to slag off their owners. Perhaps a brain might help your thought process.

:good::good::hmm:

:good::good::hmm:

:hmm:

I have owned 5 GSD's all pf which were loyal,brave & intelligent. Comments(stupid) like that are an insult to their memory.What a malinformed ****hole!

SORRY! that annoyed by insult to GSD's included wrong quote in previous post. :good: