The official Chilli plant thread

Dunkield

Mine are doing well i have about 50 odd in small compost pots and im using compost with grow feed stuff in it and i have to say they are all growing well.

The pots can then be planted into larger pots or soil without having to disturb the plants any further, but i will let them grow abit further, most now have 3 sets of leaves on them :good:

Edited by Spaniel

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went into the greenhouse, sorry, the spare office that now has my name on the door to check on the plants I have there and noticed that my Naga plant has it's first flower on!

Given that I now have nearly twenty plants knocking around the office in various states of fruiting, flowering and growing, this year could be a good year for finally bing able to make my own brand chilli sauce. With any luck it should be scorchingly hot, but with a subtle undertone of awesomeness.

Right, I'm off to do a bit of watering and to try and figure out what the other plants I have are. That's the trouble with not keeping records... They could be Tabasco. They could be Padron. They could be something else entirely. I might never know.

Some of mine have gone "leggy" so at the weekend I repotted them.

The tip to dealing with any leggy seedling is to repot them into a deeper pot and bury the plant upto the first set of leaves. I am not sure if this is horticulturally correct, but it works and straightens the little blighters out.

Also, it's not a bad idea to keep them somewhere where they receive a little "breeze" i.e. next to a window with a cracked vent / opening. The more exposure the seedlings get to a little wind / breeze, the stronger they will be when you actually come to put them out. If you don't you will find you plant them out and they then get flattened with the first sniff of a breeze.

Also, rotating them to their exposure to light is a good idea. You will all see that they grow towards the light and have a habit of leaning into the light. I rotate mine once a day whilst watering and so they still grow upwards and not on the wonk.

Naga Chilli anyone? :hmm:

Here is a Vid link to a guy who tests chilli's for a living and is caught out by how hot the Naga is! He thinks he is going to have a Heart Attack at one point :good::yes::rolleyes::P:yes:

I remember trying a Chilli for a friend of mine on a few occasions and getting the Hiccups like this fella :hmm:

Warning there IS some language in here so not suitable for the Kids!"""""""

Enjoy

Edited by Lord Geordie

mINE HAVE BEEN A DISASTER, SOWED 10 POTS BUT ONLY ONE HAS GERMINATED AND IT HAS JUST THE FIRST SET OF LEAVES, DIDNT USE CLINGFILM !!!

IS IT TO LATE TO SOW MORE ?

HELP

DOC

go for it Doc. You are going to have some seedlings by the time the hot weather is here, and they can go outdoors then :good:

Naga Chilli anyone? :hmm:

Here is a Vid link to a guy who tests chilli's for a living and is caught out by how hot the Naga is! He thinks he is going to have a Heart Attack at one point :yes::rolleyes::P:yes::hmm:

I'm growing these as we speak (or rather my gf is). Planted them a bit late though and apparently they take forever to ripen, expect my death in September :good:

Doc,

Seriously, use clingfilm until you see the shoots coming through and then put in a propagator. Wilko are doing a complete Stewart propagator set for about 3 quid (I have three of them) and I cannot recommend them enough for getting seedlings up to repotting size.

Listen to Uncle Mungler's advice - clingflim, damp (not wet) soil and a bright window cill.

I have plenty of plants spare and will bring a load to the North South meet.

I think I probably have about 75 plants on the go and will only need to keep about a dozen.

Just been in to check on my little flock in the green house, sorry spare office, at work. Looks like my splitting and repotting of the double germination plants has worked. Both sets of re-pottees are looking a lot better than they were yesterday.

But... Still only one flower out on the Naga though, and the Scotch Bonnet is still not pollinating well. If anyone has any tips for getting the hotter chillis to pollinate and fix fruit, I'm all ears. The only suggestion I have had so far from work is to maybe take it home and leave it in the garden for a day or two and let bees do their thang.

Oh, one thing to add to Uncle Mung's germination tip... Vermiculite. Tried it tis time and it works a treat at keeping the soil moist and warm, and mould away. It's also very cheap for a huge bag.

Wookie, don't over water them. It's better to fill them up with water, let them take the lot and then go again. If not you risk root rot or other fungae which thrive on damp and warm.

With regards to the flowers, yes a day in the garden will do it, or put the plants with other flowering plants. Last resort is the cotton wool bud.

Listen to Uncle Mungler's advice - clingflim, damp (not wet) soil and a bright window cill.

I have plenty of plants spare and will bring a load to the North South meet.

I think I probably have about 75 plants on the go and will only need to keep about a dozen.

Yes please,

My new pup ate the ones you gave me, Honest

Mung, I always thought that jalapeno's gave a fairly respectable kind of heat. First time I'm growing them this year as I'll want to pickle them for when the OH does her Chilli (awesome). The other pepper I'm growing is Apache which, in my humble opinion, can kick the jalapenos butt in terms of heat output (sounds like it should be measured in watts or kilowatts). I've grown apache before and have been very happy with the results, both drying ability and heat output. Also, very good for making chilli vodka as I found out last year.

On a final note, I do have to agree with bloke in the last vid as the more chilli you eat, the more you get used to it. Have told the OH twice now to increase the levels of heat in her chilli & curries. They're awesome.

I have decided this year to grow what I am actually most likely to use regularly.

I found an old stash of thai hot seeds - they are years old and I have my fingers crossed that they will work. If they do, I reckon they were the best "all round". They were on the hot side, but the plants were very decorative and produced all year round. I digress....

Anyhows, if anyone wants some Mungler's own (oooeeerrr) then drop me a PM with name and address.