D&J cartridges?

Nial

I put 75 of these (28g 7.5s) through my gun yesterday during a quick clay shoot after work.

The guy who runs the place laughed when I took them out and said they're a

pile of (self moderated) poo.

I could hardly hit a barn door, although I'll put that down to me, but when I got home

it took me _ages_ getting all the crud out of the barrels. I still wasn't happy that

they were clean when I finished but I just couldn't budge the worst of it over the

first couple of inches.

Do different cartridges foul the barrels differently?

Are these notoriously bad for this?

Thanks,

Nial.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of people on here have been unhappy withg D&J, both for the reasons you are stating and because they seem to have caused extraction problems in some O/Us.

I have used them in the past and found that they do the job of breaking clays well enough, but that they do seem to be unnaturally mucky. I too had bits I simply could not get off, which was annoying as I hate to put a gun away "dirty".

I will never touch them again after reading this post from caplock:

The major cause for concern was with the cartridge bases being pulled off when used in two different types of automatic. On one occasion the action cycled and the second shell almost reloaded completely pushing the previous now baseless hull fwd into the chamber/barrel.

This was on a 3" chambered auto and I am convinced that had it been a 3.5" chamber as alot of the newer guns are the bolt would have closed ready for the next shot....... not good as it was being used by my eldest daughter as her clay gun at the time.

Full Thread

If you dont like them (and not many do), then the best thing to do is to avoid :good:

ZB

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

Thanks for the replies guys, good to know it's not just me.

The guy who runs the clay place recommended the Hull Comp X's too, it looks

like they're cheaper than the D&J ones.

I bought 250 but I'm not sure if I want to put the rest through the gun if it's

going to take as long to clean it. It's going to cost more than the price of

replacements in cleaning products.

:-(

Nial.

despite the warnings on this board I picked up a flat of D&J's 2 weeks ago. I don't shoot clays so I'm not putting tons of rounds down the barrel. But that said, I'm putting a fair number out at pigeons lately and they are dropping birds pretty well. I'm shooting the same 28g 7.5's and dropping birds at 40-ish yards. Even though they are a smaller shot and a slower load, they are doing the job just fine. At £34 a flat for fiber, I'll stick with them for now.

Thanks,

Rick

Yep thats what happened with PUSC's gun at Bisley and is the reason I won't touch them.

Likewise with CCI Claybusters, I've seen too many not go off because the primer wasnt properly seated and it gets crushed as the gun was closed. Just last week I saw one mangled shell get extracted out the gun after a dull report and the shot only travelling 25m. This also left the wad jammed halfway down the barrel. When I have cut open the misfires the shot quality was poor. It had everything from 9's to 5's in a supposedly 7.5ss load.

FM :whistling:

Yep thats what happened with PUSC's gun at Bisley and is the reason I won't touch them.

Likewise with CCI Claybusters, I've seen too many not go off because the primer wasnt properly seated and it gets crushed as the gun was closed. Just last week I saw one mangled shell get extracted out the gun after a dull report and the shot only travelling 25m. This also left the wad jammed halfway down the barrel. When I have cut open the misfires the shot quality was poor. It had everything from 9's to 5's in a supposedly 7.5ss load.

FM :whistling:

i have shot 1000s of clay busters and never had a prob,its every1 to there sen with carts ect.

I put tens of thousands of D & J's through my guns when they were cheap, never had a problem. The only reason I don't buy them now is that they're not cheap any more. I'm not saying they're good quality cartridges, but there's plenty worse and they're OK for practice.

When cartridges started going up sharply in price, D&J's seemed to go up even sharper than most, soon making them the same price as much better cartridges, so obviously I stopped using them. If they were still cheap, I would use them for practice - no problem.

There's a lot of mincing tripe written about cartridges - take it with a large pinch of salt.

However, if you are looking for a GOOD cartridge for serious shooting - don't buy D & J's, because they aren't good, just OK for arseing about with, and doing some lightweight practice or social clay shooting.