How to "finish" them

rabbit assassin

How do you finish a wounded animal? (airgunners)  

83 members have voted

1. 1. "To kill a pigeonbird"

• Point blank headshot
    • neck wring
    • neck smash
    • "the stick"
    • priest
    • knife
    • leave it to die by its self
    • bite its skull until it cracks

I would wring its neck, I do this as a mater of course with all birds I pick up dead or otherwise.

I would be very suprised if anyone votes for any of the last 3 and surely only Ozzy Osbourne would do the last one.

Edited by MC

I thought so, there there for a laugh really, but the skull bit one is actually a method used by a man called Fred Taylor. Heremis an extract from his book "Fred Taylor's fish and game cookbook"

He has some interesting stuff, order it from your local library.

so here goes "If a pheasant has been shot, injuredm caught by a dog and finally despatched by the shooter, there's for than an even chance that it will end up having it's neck wrung. Experienced keepers know how to tap a bird on the head with a stick but in my fathers day game rings were commonplace. They housed a long spike which was pushed into the brain of the bird, killing it instantly. Another way of despatching a bird, one which i invariably practice myself, (THE AUTHOR, NOT RABBIT ASSASIN) is to crack its head like a nut between my teeth.

It sounds ghastly, and may appear uncivilised, but it kepps the bird whole but it keeps the bird whole and leaves a stong neck whick will carry it safely on a stringer. Birds who's necks have been broken, then placed on a stringer, neck's grow invariably longer until they resemble a vulture and almost invariably lose thier heads before the end of the day."

I say, just put it in a game bag!

Rabbit assasin.

P.S. I AM NOT THE GUY WHO DOES THAT, I PB HEADSHOT THEM! I DO NOT BITE THIER HEADS OPEN!

If the gun is anything bigger than an Air Rifle I would be going for a BG shot. Round could ricko right back up and hit you in the neck/head :good: !

either a firm crunch on the head from your boot or a wring of the neck will do the job :yes: although be careful when picking up a wounded animal :yes: lol!

If the head comes off you are doing it to hard.

I just pick the bird up by the head and flick it round in a circle. It works for everything except geese. They normally take some wringing.

Works for me too! You can do it with one hand and interestingly its the prefered method of HM Elisabeth or so I'm told! :good:

i voted knife just because i was bored :good: its that sort of time at work!

but then i thought i would put something constructive to this post!

pigeon i would always wring their neck, as for most birds. except geese they are pretty strong any ideas on how to do dispatch a goose?

with reference to the pheasant, and a spike. an old boy on our shoot showed us once where you pluck out a main tail feather from the bird the push it into the back of the head, killing it instantly. works well if not a bit pointless, also makes the bird look pretty funny at it looks like it has some funky hair do

another method i have seen on the pigeons is by holding its body with its head facing away from you and your thumbs on its back bone. you then squeeze in a certain place, and i think it crushes it vital organs/lungs and dispatches it. the whole point for this was to prevent feather damage as they were being used for decoys. i have only seen this done, not done it myself

My quarry is 99% rabbit, and I can confidently say that 99% of the time, when I retrieve them after the shot - they are stone dead with the thick goopy stuff making it's way out of the ears.

On the rare occasion it's still managed to cling to life then it's a swift coup de gras point blank head shot (airgun) or a chop to the back of the neck.

I havent shot that many birds to be honest and the ones I have were dead when they hit the ground, I once heard of a method where you hold them by the head and 'crack them like whip' - don't know it's any cop though.

i use my crafty JUDO CHOPPP!! *ahem* sorry just watched austin powers! :good: :good: well i dont use airguns but when out with the shotgun i usually ring its neck but when decoying i usually put another one in it if im not eating it as its not practical to leave the hide while there are birds coming down :good:

Edited by dogfox

If I find a wounder bird or animal, I'll most probably put it out of its misery using 15 and a half stone of bodyweight applied through a jackboot to the head of the bird/bunny.

I.e. jump on its head, the trauma alone will often kill it outright even if the skull isn't crunched.

Works on everything from tufty's to pheasants to Bunnies.

Once had a friend try to wring a squirrels neck after shooting with an airgun. It had obviously feigned death and nearly bit his little finger off.

In which case a jump to the head kills every time. :yes:

Regards

Tufty

If I find a wounder bird or animal, I'll most probably put it out of its misery using 15 and a half stone of bodyweight applied through a jackboot to the head of the bird/bunny.

I.e. jump on its head, the trauma alone will often kill it outright even if the skull isn't crunched.

Works on everything from tufty's to pheasants to Bunnies.

Once had a friend try to wring a squirrels neck after shooting with an airgun. It had obviously feigned death and nearly bit his little finger off.

In which case a jump to the head kills every time. :good:

Regards

Tufty

Ah, so the art of stealth aint dead after all :yes:;):yes:

pigeon i would always wring their neck, as for most birds. except geese they are pretty strong any ideas on how to do dispatch a goose?

I belive with a goose you stand on its head and pull its body upwards? Don't quote me though!

As for pigeons with an airgun, its either a second shot in the head or a jump.