Water volume and how to get rid of it!

agusta

I've just purchased a chicken farm and shut it down, in a corner of the farm there is a huge puddle of water and I mean huge!

35m x 15m x 0.5 approx.

I used a volume calculator and it came out at around 262,000 liters of water, not sure if that's correct?

Now I'm unsure how I should remove the water, should I get someone in to pump the water into to tanks and take it away, I'm guessing that will cost a few £'s?

Or should I purchase a petrol pump which will cost £150 or so and pump it into the drains, the pumps I've been looking at pump 1100ltrs per minute, so it will take 4-5 hours.

Anyone got any ideas, which of the above would you do?

I've just purchased a chicken farm and shut it down, in a corner of the farm there is a huge puddle of water and I mean huge!

35m x 15m x 0.5 approx.

I used a volume calculator and it came out at around 262,000 liters of water, not sure if that's correct?

Now I'm unsure how I should remove the water, should I get someone in to pump the water into to tanks and take it away, I'm guessing that will cost a few £'s?

Or should I purchase a petrol pump which will cost £150 or so and pump it into the drains, the pumps I've been looking at pump 1100ltrs per minute, so it will take 4-5 hours.

Anyone got any ideas, which of the above would you do?

Blimey - it takes me three minutes to get 50 lites of diesel into my car at a filling station.

I would suggest hiring a submersible pump with enough hose from someone like Speedy Hire or HSS and pump it into a drain if there is one close by? Wont cost much and should be done in a day - this is what we use on construction sites to empty dug holes etc. Hope this helps!

Speedy Hire pump

HSS Pump

Take a look t the above links

35m x 15m x 0.5m = 262.5 m3

1m3 is 1000 litres so your calculation of 262,500 litres is correct.

However, is the "puddle" actually 0.5m deep everywhere? This is more like a swimming pool!

If it slopes fairly evenly from zero depth at the edge to 0.5m in the middle then back to zero depth at the other edge it will have a volume of approximately half that of the above calculation.

HW682

Sell the chickens and buy ducks.

Sorry. Not helpful.

I'm thinking Turkeys rather than Ducks :good:

35m x 15m x 0.5m = 262.5 m3

1m3 is 1000 litres so your calculation of 262,500 litres is correct.

However, is the "puddle" actually 0.5m deep everywhere? This is more like a swimming pool!

If it slopes fairly evenly from zero depth at the edge to 0.5m in the middle then back to zero depth at the other edge it will have a volume of approximately half that of the above calculation.

HW682

0.5m is the mid point, it slopes from zero depth at one end to to 0.70m.