Sellier and Bellot shotgun cartridges

I have still got Baikal cartridges in number 4, 5 and 6 shot. I think I've also got Sellier & Bellot in a SG load.

I remember the Baikal cartridges being hard hitting, noisy, and at low light, you could sometimes see a 'flame' coming out of the barrel.

I'll have to dig them out and check.

Edited by steve_b_wales

I use to buy the Sellior Bellot cartridges in the flat pack boxes from a garage on the Isle of Grain.

They were a dirty, noisy cartridge (a lot like Baikals), but they did kill things.

Definitely not for use in your "best English gun".

I haven't seen any for 20 years.

They certainly were dirty and noisy, remember once out pigeon shooting with my father one new years day, as usual me being young and stupid :good: had seen the new year in with grand style :good: and had an almighty hangover complete with a humongous headache :good: , eveytime a bird came over I flinched as I pulled...... oh the pain of it and my fathers laughter B) ringing even louder in my ears than the S&B,s :D .

Rgds D2D

Edgar Bros. import S&B's. My mate uses them all the time in his auto, he likes them. I've tried them through my Beretta, but they seemed to have a fair old kick.

You sometimes think your at a wedding when you watch him shooting them, there seems to be a lot of wadding and **** floating through the air after he fires. :lol:

I remember the Baikal cartridges being hard hitting, noisy, and at low light, you could sometimes see a 'flame' coming out of the barrel.

I remember they didn't do much for your night vision :unsure:

I can recall both shells-i think the baikals were called Azot?-with a picture of two ducks taking off.

Spot on Bruno. Iv'e still got a few in the cupboard.

I remember the confetti that came out of them and they used to stink as well.

Like everybody says, they used to kill OK though :good:

• 2 weeks later...
I hope the recent S&B are not too bad. I got some the other day as part of a deal with a new M2. I just wanted something 32g to help run it in.

My mate seems happy enough with them (might be because they're cheap :good: ) . He's shot a few thousand now and only had 1 problem , a cartridge jammed in his auto. When he finally removed it , it looked like the brass cap was distorted slightly.

I'm thinking of giving them a try myself , can't really make much difference, the way I shoot :hmm:

ive still got a few baikal AAA`s left from about 20yrs ago never seem to see them in shops now

bloody good cartridges aswell

priced some AAA`s a while back and they not half went up in price over 10quid a box

so now load my own for foxes using 6x 8.5mm lead balls which dont half work

only wish still could get them baikals :good:

My mate seems happy enough with them (might be because they're cheap :good: ) . He's shot a few thousand now and only had 1 problem , a cartridge jammed in his auto. When he finally removed it , it looked like the brass cap was distorted slightly.

I'm thinking of giving them a try myself , can't really make much difference, the way I shoot :oops:

I didn't notice till I got them home that they are Plastic wad, and the only place I have to shoot at the moment wants fibre. Looking at the S&B site is seems they don't do fibre. They'll get used somewhere, I bought something else for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been given a couple of boxes of Sellier and Bellot MK2 6shot 32 gramms by an old chap I shoot with, they're past their best, the caps are a bit corroded and the cases are discoloured.

I've dug out my old LIG side by side and given them a go, I've downed five pidgeons with them today, by hell!! they go with a bang and hit the bird really hard, and smell gorgeous.

My old shooting friend can't remember when he bought them but seems to think it was probably forty years ago, the smell reminds me of shooting with my dear old dad some forty five years ago. :blink:

Edited by Ratman2

Glad I read this thread as I have just remembered I have a complete 250 box of them dated 1967 68!

Guess what I am doing this weekend :good: The smell of these shells is unique and sometimes reminds me of the old cap pistols we had as kids, one or two had a very nasty habit of not firing straight away with a couple of seconds delay :lol: certainly made my son realise the reasoning behind total gun safety, ie if it dont fire keep it pointed in a safe direction for at least ten seconds.