Driven/walked up hare shoot

turk101

Hi all

I was invited to the above some time last year but it got cancelled because of the snow begining of feb, so was re-scheduled for saturday just gone.

Did'nt really know what to expect, but i must admit it has to be one of the best experiences of my life, and that's no joke either.

This was reasonably well organised, started out at about 9am done 4 drives/walks all together, the buzz was absolutely unreal really really enjoyed it, the weather was nice and the company was excellent.

I done all the drives/walks next to my dad, brother-in-law and my shooting buddy. So we were always four in a row although the lines could be up to 20. We did not stop laughing all day, absolutely brilliant.

anyway as you are not allowed semi-auto's i had to use my sons o/u baikal (which i had last used 20 years ago) and my dad used my brothers o/u baikal double trigger, now this is were the fun really started my dad has shot only a semi-auto in over 40 years of shooting, so every time he missed with the first barrel he could not find the second trigger :lol: we thought this was hilarious :welcomeani: see my dad cursing his luck and some1 else finishing what he missed.

Anyhow total for the day was 352 hares , 10 or so woodpigeon.

my total was 6, my brother-in-law and shooting buddy had 7 each, and my poor old dad had 3.

As i said though what an experience! heres a few photo's.

enjoy

turk101

post-65-1235416971.jpg

post-65-1235417138.jpg

post-65-1235417347.jpg

We see so few here I've made it a personal thing not to shoot them, (plus I'm a bit superstitious and think it's unlucky).

There was something I've read recently which was extolling the virtues of leaving headlands that give cover to hares. Apparently it's increased numbers no end from a very serious population decline in the mid 80s.

One of the finest sights I've ever seen was a group of about 4 - 5 hares "boxing" in a field up at Minsmere. Something I'll never forget and which made me appreciate them even more.

Although I'm in no way critiscising the shooting of hares, I do question why you had to shoot so many?

Whereabouts in Essex was the shoot?

P.

I know someone who went on one of these days recently and he said they are overrun with them that was in Norfolk.

Just because they are rare where you live (like they are round here) doens't mean they aren't a pest, or at least a rapidly expanding population somewhere else that can easliy sustain that sort of culling. They shoot over 50,000 red deer a year in Scotland and the population is still growing and I have never seen one in Bucks :welcomeani:

Well, they're certainly not common in our area, you'll see more foxes than hares when out lamping at night, they've virtually disappeared from our area, even the ****** don't bother coming out after them anymore, as they know they'll draw a blank. :welcomeani:

I've only ever done one hare shoot, about 25 years ago when they were 10 a penny, It's not for the squemish, I'll never do another, as in my opinion they do no harm whatsoever to my farmers crops, and on that basis, I won't shoot them.

Ironically, it's set aside that's decimated their numbers, because it had to be sprayed off at a certain time every year, and that spraying was what killed most of the hares, so my farmer friends told me.

Cat.

nice 1 mate great bag ! our local shoot has just finished there 3 days hare shooting for the year and have bagged a total of 658 down on last year but down as there is to much beat left for them to hide in . numbers of hares are mad round here went lamping other night saw 46 in 1 field of just over 60 acers so plenty still about !

A couple of our local farms started to get a few hares on them, within no time the ****** with their running dogs found out and turned up in their Transits and broke gates and churned up fields and threatened the farmer when challenged.

So the farmers shot all the hares, sad but problem solved.

Some incredible bags mentioned here, and as they seem to be an annual event they obviously don't have that much effect on the hare population - these places must hold an incredible number of hares.

ive only ever shot one hare and i diden't kill it outright, i know this sounds soft but the screams that were comeing from it before i could finish it off, well it makes my heart sink just thinking about it, ive never heard anything like it so i let them be now, but i shoot pigeons without a second thought so i guess that makes me a hypocrite ???

While it may seem an excessive bag, if the Hares were not there they could not be shot. The largest amount of Hares I have seen was in Cambridgeshire on the Six mile bottom shoot. Without looking for them we must have risen over 50 in one day.

It might be an idea though if they stopped the Hare shoots at the end of the season and caught up the excess Hares for relocation to areas that have a shortage of them. I am sure there would be no shortage of volunteers for the exercise.

I would be interested in the legal point of view on this as Hares are game, and as such can be released.

TC

We have a lot up in suffolk and Norfolk, most farmers see them as a problem but in truth the majority of the shooting community do not bother to shoot them.

I went on a hare drive the week and we had 178,

but I must admit I am undecided on the 'should we' or 'should'nt we bit'

Plus has anyone a recipe for hare that works?

My mother cook's a hare for us as whenever I do it tastes awful..... it ist'nt a recent thing either as I have tried many times over the years...unsuccessfully.

ive only ever shot one hare and i diden't kill it outright, i know this sounds soft but the screams that were comeing from it before i could finish it off, well it makes my heart sink just thinking about it, ive never heard anything like it so i let them be now, but i shoot pigeons without a second thought so i guess that makes me a hypocrite ???

That's what puts many off shooting them. Even blue hares on the hill scream and I'm not keen on it at all.

We're like many on this thread in that we're lucky to see two or three in central Scotland. Haven't been driven hare shoots here for many years.