releasing foxes

Glynn

Glynn,

not knowing where you are in Cornwall but around the Fraddon area large quantities of castrated and partly manged Foxes are released onto a large Dairy farm as it has a long public road leading to it,this obviously gives god unseen access for the clowns who release these unwise animals.The farmer decided to carry his shotgun with him after noticing a lot of foxes wandering around in the day time and some pinching milk from the parlour,17 foxes he shot all showing some type of scaring and some still covered in antiseptic spray.

So the do gooders had released animals that knew not how to hunt and still having barely healed wounds back into an alien enviroment,so who are they looking after,certainly not the foxes welfare and as for sterilising them they just become an even bigger drain on the natural larder that supports the local wildlife.

Knowing someone that collects for the RSPCA ,I asked them to enquire if this was their doing,and a written letter came back say that they would not return animals in this state to the wild,now I'm not supporting them but by the tone of the letter they were not happy that these dumpings are being associated with them,particularily as they are pleading for more funds on the telly at the moment.

Also as mention in one reply that Pestcontrollers are trapping foxes and taking them away unharmed to be released,I dont know about that and as a Pestcontroller myself certainly would release them back into the wild,they are vermin short and sweet,and should be dealt with as such.

As all shooting men/women strive for the same thing to control the vermin and look after the land perhaps the do gooders should pay more attention to shoot controlled properties as everything is healthier as the constant maintenance of land and stock shows.After all its the people in the countryside that know how it works best not some little oik in an office with lots of letter behind his name!!!!

Keith

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still don't know legality of it. :unsure:

Have just spent a while on defra and natural england websites :lol::hmm: No wiser than when i started really, think it may be legal if landowner has given permission but still not sure :D

Have sent email to defra to see if they can clear it up. Won't hold my breath though.

Hi,

Hey come on! Its totally sick that you shot at animals confused and sitting down. Most of the shooting community would not ever do that. The animals were confused and you took the opportunity to blow their brains out and that is pathetic man! You should not shoot at animals that are just sitting there confused especially if now you suspect that there may be animal rehabiliation in the area. You should contact the local rehab centers and tell them that you are legally protecting your poultry farm and advise them not to release animals near your area. That will make life easier for you, and definately your poultry..as it is totally out of order for the rehabbers to release foxes on a poultry farm...and the rehabbed animals would at least have a chance.

X

D

Hi,

Hey come on! Its totally sick that you shot at animals confused and sitting down. Most of the shooting community would not ever do that. The animals were confused and you took the opportunity to blow their brains out and that is pathetic man! You should not shoot at animals that are just sitting there confused especially if now you suspect that there may be animal rehabiliation in the area. You should contact the local rehab centers and tell them that you are legally protecting your poultry farm and advise them not to release animals near your area. That will make life easier for you, and definately your poultry..as it is totally out of order for the rehabbers to release foxes on a poultry farm...and the rehabbed animals would at least have a chance.

X

D

how do you retaliate a fox not to kill poultry :unsure:

Hi,

X

D

TROLL

Hi,

X

D

If anything is pathetic, it's the emotive, childish and completely blinkered drivel that you have posted above.

Foxes are shot because they are vermin - whether they are stationery or not is immaterial. Foxes do not deserve 'a chance'.

XX

Baldrick

Edited by Baldrick

Hi,

X

D

i doubt he blew its brains out, more likely its lungs :unsure:

:lol:

Hi,

X

D

There are a few points here....

1. Someone may have worked very hard in keeping the fox population down on the particular land for ages, then all of a sudden someone 'dumps' more there...as a pest controller, let alone land owner you would not be happy.

2. If the dumping goes on I take it it is in the belief that urban foxes will thrive in the countryside...I doubt that they would settle in as some may think, the result being a slow death due to starvtion if 'easy' food is not accessible.

Either way shooting them would a] continue to keep the numbers down or b] put them out of a slow cruel death of starvation!!

I dont mean to pick on you dovetaildonna, but you did post the comment, you do obviously care and respect animals. In your work do you know of any rehab centres that do 'relocate' foxes, do they not understand the shortsightedness of their actions? Do they place animals on land that they do not have permission to leave them on? I firmly believe that this is a good place for a discussion and all opinions should be listened to, please could you respond to some of these questions....

Thanks

Have a look at the fox traps section of

www.trapman.co.uk

You can see how many times they stress the "humaine" aspect of the traps and while they don't actually say about re-releasing the foxes that clearly is the implied intent.

The average Mr or Mrs housholder would have no way of killing or disposing of a fox. Neither would they probably want to. There used to be a man who operated around Ruislip who called himself "The Fox Man" who would trap foxes and take them away to be re-released. He was some kind of misguided do gooder but I know the local council used to refer enquiries to him. I haven't heard him mentioned recently, perhaps he's given up.

I really can't see the RSPCA doing that much to rehab foxes. They are pretty cynical when it comes to money and vets cost plenty.

Now doubt the RSPCA will come up with some ludicrous middle ground, where farmers are paid for each chicken, lamb etc that gets munched by Charley so we can all live in ignorant bliss! Regardless of the affect on either Charley or its surrounding wild neighbours.

Until I started shooting I didn't understand the first thing about the balance of nature and the role of farmers, keepers etc. It is all too easy from a townie's perspective to simply believe that everything has a right to live, anywhere and that all farmers just kill everything regardless.

Always good to see the input from other members on here which I feel is well reasoned and reasonable. Keep it up fellas and ladies.

Jonny.

From the little I know, it seems that foxes should be released into urban environments. They have adapted well to life in cities and major towns, and eat the rubbish left by humans, and the rats and other wildlife that same rubbish encourages. Why do the do-gooders think releasing urban foxes into the countryside is the right thing to do? Surely the urban fox and the rural fox are different creatures with different habits? It seems cruel, unnecessary and thoughtless to release an urban fox into the countryside, when they would be better off released into urban parks, etc. Maybe that would also encourage a little interest in nature too?

Rhiannon

Why release them?

Going back a couple of pages on this thread. I thought we had agreed that releasing vermin, once captured, was illegal but we couldn't decide what law actually said that.

I would still like to get that point clarified if we could because that really would be useful.

Edited by Vince Green

as far as i know that is correct. In the case of vermin i also believe that any trapped animal must be dispatched and not re-released. Correct me if i am wrong ?

If that is really correct who is going to tell the RSPCA and all the other rescue centres that if they insist on releasing vermin on TV then they can expect a court summons.

how do you retaliate a fox not to kill poultry

davie mac,

Dont you mean Rehabilitate?

I personally think Donna 'Lovey Dovey' needs to see first hand what a urban fox makes of poultry/reared game bird if it gets into an enclosure, that is when it gets absolutely desperate to find food (not to mention other wildlife), as it's no longer able to walk 100 yards knock over a bin and fill itself. The reason why foxes sit and look at you, is because the individuals capturing them and releasing them in rural areas have no idea about ecology etc. They expect a fox to behave like a fox no matter of its accustomed life its left and the strange surroundings it finds itself. I've shot released foxes - i've watched them being released. To be honest if you leave them, 9 times out of ten you find them a month later either dying of hunger or getting themselves into trouble where upon my Tikka give the only answer.

Tom

I shoot an area that has woodland close to the road and a lay-by.

I am sure this has contributed to a continuing large population of foxes, many with shaved patches of fur and operation scars.

I never shoot post operative foxes anywhere else except in this wood and its surrounding fields.

Someone is spending a lot of time and money on providing me sport!

Edited by Goldfish

Well i think its a great idea and if there was some were i could sign up for them to be released on my land then i would, just think you have to pay for clay pigeons, i wonder if it would catch on bolting fox ? get some practice in by gettin your mate to stand it the back of a whit van a throw dinner plates out the back lol