Unbelievable

adbirdy

All,

My Dad (whose nearly 70 )has been cage trapping a few grey squirrels in his garden that have been making a nuisance of themsleves round his bird feeder's.

You know the score emptying them out and ripping the mesh and generally being annoying. Well today, my Mom went to answer a knock at the door and found herself facing 2 RSPCA 'inspectors', who said they had been made aware that squirrels were being trapped and wanted to know 'how he disposes of the caught ones' (Which he does by shooting them with an air rifle incidentally)

My Dad not knowing any better and being a law abding citizen, (which I don't believe he actually HAD to do by law, as the RSPCA have no legal rights) let them in to his garden and showed them his trap and his air rifle!!! Apparently they then went away satisfied after asking my Dad why he didn't like squirrels!!!!

Has anyone else had an experience like this one?

Ade

ps about 2 hours after the RSPCA had been round, my Dad caught a squirrel that had been avoiding the trap for a couple of days!!

pps The visit was yesterday and he had another squirrel this morning!!!!

Meh, I don't think what your saying is fair.

They get a call out that someone is shooting squirrels with an airgun - it can either be an old bloke completly innocent, or a bunch of ***** who got hold of a 7ft-lb plinking rifle taking unsafe pot-shots.

The rspca have no legal right to enter anyones property or question them, unless they are with the police who still need to have a warrant, you are under no obligation what so ever to answer any questions put by the rspca, basicly your dad could have told them to get lost and that would be that. check out the shg.com some interesting info available..

Meh, I don't think what your saying is fair.

They get a call out that someone is shooting squirrels with an airgun - it can either be an old bloke completly innocent, or a bunch of ***** who got hold of a 7ft-lb plinking rifle taking unsafe pot-shots.

Bleeh,

Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly, they did not come round about the air rifle, they came round to make sure my Dad was 'disposing of trapped squirrels properly' If they suspected a crime was being committed why did they not bring an officer of the law? Do they perhaps see themselves as enforcing the law of the land now?? After all when all is said and done the 'inspectors' are only MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC working for a CHARITY

Interested in anyoune else's thoughts on this matter

Ade

Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly, they did not come round about the air rifle, they came round to make sure my Dad was 'disposing of trapped squirrels properly' If they suspected a crime was being committed why did they not bring an officer of the law? Do they perhaps see themselves as enforcing the law of the land now?? After all when all is said and done the 'inspectors' are only MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC working for a CHARITY

Ade

I agree fully with you they should remember that they have no legal rights over anyone. Had an encounter once over some sheep dying luckily we had the vet out when they arrived who promptly told them where to go.

Good going with the squirrels :yes: under bird tables must be one of the best spots for catching them <_<

http://www.britishbirdcouncil.com/legal_advice.htm

I know this is for birds, but it's the same principle,

Common knowledge on the Bird Forums that the RSPCA are Foot Soldiers for the Animal Front.

No warrant, don't let them in, two finger salute,

If they have one, READ it, & only allow who is named on the warrant in,

BJ.

Bleeh,

Ade

Where he may have come unstuck with the rspca is if he had said (thinking they dont want to hear that he,s killing them) that he had been trapping them and releasing them in the woods down the road, which as most will know is an offence plain and simple.

Imo he played the situation correctly there can be little to gain by antagonising these people, who are of the same mind set, again my opinion, as traffic wardens. Once you upset them your card could be marked, they may well even keep a database :yes: of complaints and callouts.

Rgds D2D.

I think that ,annoying as they may be,we should be seen to be co-operating with them in a frank and polite manner.They are no different to us in any way other than their opinions which i respect.We are all basically doing our best to prevent animal cruelty-so i salute them and would help them as much as i can-unless ,of course, they get pushy or holier than thou-in which case they can fork off.

I think your dad reacted in the best possible way.

My worry would be how they "were made aware"? I think your dad may have an Anti as a neighbour :good: and those types don't back down easily.

Tell him to be extra cautious when he's going about his vermin control.

Well done on the squirrels :) keep at em.

SS

A few years back i had a visit from the rspca and the police after 2 old women a few houses away phoned them to report me for organising dog fights in my garden ( it was 2 terrier pups playing ). I was aware that i could refuse access to the rspca but chose not to as i had done no wrong and was happy to argue that point if needed. The rspca man was polite and after short time told me that if people kenneled/looked ater their dogs like mine were he probably would'nt have a job. He also called in to the 2 biddies and reassured them. The police officer on the other hand was a total **** giving me greif that all dogs should be kept in the house and that using a kennel was cruel. :) .

I'm still not a fan of the rspca but you do come across some of their inspectors with a bit of common sence

The RSPCA and more importantly The RSPB are staffed by anti’s and it is their stated intent (and this from the top brass) to stop all shooting and I do mean ALL, no if’s and’s or buts.

Since the near demise of the LACS where do you think all those do gooding, interfering types have gone to get their kicks (I mean jobs)? The RSPB have stated recently that they will wherever possible buy land to stop wildfowlers from shooting AND they have an agenda to get the government to start a licensing system for all shoots. Anti's have a mind set to infiltrate every possible organisation that can cause disruption to fieldsports and country ways whilst we just want to get on with our lives. DO NOT trust these people they don’t want you shooting and will do everything in their (considerable) power to stop you.

Treat them civilly BUT do not give them an inch, stand up for your rights and if necessary get BASC or some similar organisation to back you up. DO NOT support them and never ever trust them. YOU are the enemy.

The RSPCA and more importantly The RSPB are staffed by anti’s and it is their stated intent (and this from the top brass) to stop all shooting and I do mean ALL, no if’s and’s or buts.

Since the near demise of the LACS where do you think all those do gooding, interfering types have gone to get their kicks (I mean jobs)? The RSPB have stated recently that they will wherever possible buy land to stop wildfowlers from shooting AND they have an agenda to get the government to start a licensing system for all shoots. Anti's have a mind set to infiltrate every possible organisation that can cause disruption to fieldsports and country ways whilst we just want to get on with our lives. DO NOT trust these people they don’t want you shooting and will do everything in their (considerable) power to stop you.

Treat them civilly BUT do not give them an inch, stand up for your rights and if necessary get BASC or some similar organisation to back you up. DO NOT support them and never ever trust them. YOU are the enemy.

Exactly, like I said previous, they are the foot soldiers for the Animal Front.

BJ.

I can't remember exactly which website (but I think it had RSPCA input) which said that trapped squirrels should be disposed of humanely, preferably by being shot, rather than the other 'preferred' method by those who don't know any better, of drowning them in a water butt.

Personally I don't have much time for the RSPCA, though I guess they're a mix of good and bad, like any other organisation.

Rhiannon

Apparently they then went away satisfied after asking my Dad why he didn't like squirrels!!!!

This says it all for me. Why should they have to ask why he doesn't like squirrels? Are they not aware that they're officially classed as vermin? Do they need telling that greys have displaced native reds over most of the country?

All the time the RSPCA is staffed by bunnyhuggers who know nothing about animals, there are going to be problems :good:

Edited by Chard