Woman trampled by cows

jojusa

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were discussing this on the radio this morning and were talking some absolute **** about how Health and Safety should ensure that people are not at danger whilst walking in the countryside.... It isn't the frigging cow's fault if you walk into the field it lives in!! It is your responsibility to take care in a field of livestock and ensure your dog is under control. If you can't keep your dog under control around livestock, keep it on a lead and don't enter a fenced off field, regardless if a public footpath crosses it.

I have the utmost respect for any creature that has a +200 lb advantage over yours truly.

Applying this basic concept as a rule will see anyone safe and free from the harm of:

1. rhinos, lions, elephants, buffalo etc

2. door men at the Circus Tavern

3. the mother in law.

Nuff said.

I have the utmost respect for any creature that has a +200 lb advantage over yours truly.

Applying this basic concept as a rule will see anyone safe and free from the harm of:

1. rhinos, lions, elephants, buffalo etc

2. door men at the Circus Tavern

3. the mother in law.

Nuff said.

mung do what i do, just carry buckshot at all times, it negates that 200lb advantage they have :hmm:

I know a bloke who had his sgc + firearms licence revoked for warning people about there dogs running loose where there was livestock

happened a guy i know, lost his guns for 6 months, saw a dog chasing his sheep and went to the owners house to tell him, unfortunately he had his gun in his hand at the time :hmm:

They were discussing this on the radio this morning and were talking some absolute **** about how Health and Safety should ensure that people are not at danger whilst walking in the countryside.... It isn't the frigging cow's fault if you walk into the field it lives in!! It is your responsibility to take care in a field of livestock and ensure your dog is under control. If you can't keep your dog under control around livestock, keep it on a lead and don't enter a fenced off field, regardless if a public footpath crosses it.

sort of, but the problem happens when people have their dogs under control. the cattle go for the dogs and the people hold onto the lead and get crushed as the cows go for the dog. The only thing to do is let the dog go as it will outrun the cows and stand your ground. Cows are used to being handled by people its just the dogs they have issue with every one of these incidents you'll find the people have tried to protect their dog.

People are quite ignorant of the countryside...

Last week I was on some marsh I look after when 200++ yards from the footpath I saw a young woman walking dog/ pram with young child walking alongside. There was a several cows and calves in the field so I chose to go and have a word letting her know the dangers.

She was a little offhand at first, saying that she was'nt doing anyharm-But once I pointed that ist'nt the problem,if these lot get upset you won't know what to do, she realized the dangers.

In the end I put her and the kids in motor and took her off the field for which in the end she was grateful.

People on the TV have been saying that the cows saw the dog as a danger. I'm not so sure. I once had a dog run away from some heifers who cornered her against a hedge. When I caught up, she was soaking wet from being licked.

If this woman was in a field of suckler cows, there was likely to be a bull present for the next round of breeding. Perfectly lawful in field crossed by a footpath if it is a beef breed.

You would of thought a vet would know better to !

I'm not so sure. In my experience vets seem to know, quite rightly, about animal diseases, wounds, illness, etc. I'm not convinced they know much about animal psychology though. Perhaps it's just the ones I've met......

People on the TV have been saying that the cows saw the dog as a danger. I'm not so sure. I once had a dog run away from some heifers who cornered her against a hedge. When I caught up, she was soaking wet from being licked.

they do see the dog as a threat, that piece is one of the better written Daily Mail articles and actually has some decent information on there for a change. As for the woman being a vet well she could be a small animal vet so have few dealings with cows but was definitely in the wrong field at the wrong time!

Health and Safety legislation does not apply to recreational users of land in this context. It's more an issue of the Occupiers' Liability Acts 1957 and 1984.

Irrespective of the law, it's an unfortunate and entirely preventable death. I have lived and worked amongst dairy and beef cattle all my life, and they are very unpredictable, dairy breeds especially. Dogs and cattle do not mix.

Common sense, common sense and a bit more common sense is what is required in the countryside. Unfortunately these days common sense ain't so common!

I have fished in a field which either had sheep or a suckler herd with a bull present since I was 5 years old and was taught from an early age how to behave around cattle. This has served me well other than the odd sticky incident with too many boisterous bullocks or a single occasion when the bull had a bit of an off day and pinned us down the bank for a while. Nothing that couldn't be easily resolved though. I find it very sad that people are blaming farmers for things that happened after they went on their land with dogs. It is after all a working environment, there are many equally dangerous areas of work that the general public would not be allowed anywhere near such as quarries.

All in all a sad story though. :lol:

FM

Very sad indeed, but what difference does it make that she was a vet, perhaps her practice does small animals, nothing to do with farm animals,

and unfortunately the "countryside" is becoming a playground for all the townies, I drove over the mountain road yesterday to go to Swansea, and after the weekend there are bin bags and carrier bags all over the place full of cxxp where people have been camping, not that they are allowed to, but the good 'ol national parks choose to ignor it, or it could be they only work monday to friday and what goes on at weekends is unbeleivable.