Pump Club

thepasty

Yep, you can submit it for proofing if you like, or you can simply use steel through it. I have been using steel shot through non-steel proofed guns for years, but rarely through anything tighter than half.

I thought hush powers had a full choke though, that's the only reason I asked. Thanks for the heads up :)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Roland,

Sorry for the delay in replying, 'other stuff' got in the way. No reason why a 24" smooth bore barrel shouldn't be imported into the UK by a SGC holder as far as I know.

Although for personal use it's fine, if you sell/pass it on, it has to be UK proofed, or you commit an offence, is my understanding of the situation

I import quite a bit of (non-gun) stuff from 'over there' without any real difficulty, but Manufacture's (I've asked Ithaca) or FFL cant be bothered to ship them, afraid of the 'hassle' I guess.

A friend who was working for Uncle Sam was helpful as he'd buy & ship and I'd pay the Duties & Taxes this end. He's back in the UK now. I've also asked my local RFD (Sec5) if he'd help.................... although he didn't say so, I guess he's got more money to be made elsewhere for less effort!

Some RFD somewhere must have one gathering dust under the workshop bench???

Optimistically,

Steve

Afternoon Roland,

........... and a handsome bit of kit it looks too. I'm unfamiliar with Savage firearms other than the name, simply one's never crossed my path yet. I'm sure Numrich Arms from NY would have bits for it, but they resolutely refuse to deal with UK addresses, even a Sec5 dealer! This includes innocuous parts like but-plates and wood work. I had a Brit friend who was working for Uncle Sam, until recalled back to Blighty recently. Great shame he's home.

I was friendly with Jim Jukes a FFL from Los Angeles California, used to take him & wife round castles, stately homes, S-on-A and such, when he was on holiday here. Sadly he 'cashed his chips in' a couple of yrs ago, as did Roy Van Wicken, a retired Marine and Los Angeles cop, about the same time.

Are you planning to visit the 'Shooting Show at Stoneleigh Warwickshire I think about the 13/14th of February?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

You are right that Numrich have all the parts that I need and also that they won't ship here. Seems crazy with the "special relationship" between our countries that trade is prohibited or at least frowned upon! I have had a conversation on the Ithaca owners site about this very subject and the man in the street American doesn't understand it either. I used to have friends and contacts in Kissimmee PD, Sheriffs office and Fish and Game dept. in Florida but have lost touch over the years. I also have distant relatives in Ohio but they are not gun people. On a more positive note I have agreed to buy the non licenced parts of a scrap gun from a PW RFD member, which will also give me things like spare firing pin etc.

I do hope to get to the show, work permitting, although scared of what else I might buy if it is put in my hot little hands !

I have a few projects on the go now each interesting in its own right. I just love the mechanics and timings of pump guns, manual repeaters really do it for me!

Crikey, don't do that!

+1.............. that looks a really nice gun in lovely condition, plus as a 1960 the barrel is serial number matched to the receiver and of course with cutting you can never go back.......I was tempted to do the same with my '65 28" but thankfully was talked out of it..............get another 37, you can never have enough!

Knew that comment would raise a few eyebrows.

Aye matching numbers.

It's even got its original ray bar site on it.

Mag tube only has the smallest of marks from the forend slide.

Definately been a safe queen most of its life.

Super light and beautiful build quality.

It's in much too nice a condition to butcher.

Always wanted a go at pumping so I've gone and bought myself a Benelli Supernova in a cammo pattern. Looking forward to trying it out. I shall keep my eyes open for a 24" barrel. New ones are quite expensive compared to what I paid for the gun. Wish me luck.

Alan.

Afternoon Gents,

That looks like an immaculate '37 Alan, shame to as alter it as 'factory gate' condition is a rare commodity these days! My 'vintage' woodwork has arrived at my local P.O., from Maryland for my '37 after a slow transit. Just Duties and VAT to pay!!

I simply hate the gaudy machine stamped/rolled 'engraving' on the original wood,looks like it's off a Chinese cap-gun to me which 'cheapens' the whole look of the gun. Looking forwards to a simple diamond pattern and dark wood. Still as the man with wooden leg said........"it a matter of a pinion"?

Must dust off the Box-Brownie and use up the Kodachrome, send you the results.

Looking forwards to using another 'classic-from-the-cupboard' on Sunday, my Marlin 39A. If no bunnies, then a couple of empty dog-meat cans will do.

Adios Amigos........

Afternoon Gents,

That looks like an immaculate '37 Alan, shame to as alter it as 'factory gate' condition is a rare commodity these days! My 'vintage' woodwork has arrived at my local P.O., from Maryland for my '37 after a slow transit. Just Duties and VAT to pay!!

I simply hate the gaudy machine stamped/rolled 'engraving' on the original wood,looks like it's off a Chinese cap-gun to me which 'cheapens' the whole look of the gun. Looking forwards to a simple diamond pattern and dark wood. Still as the man with wooden leg said........"it a matter of a pinion"?

Must dust off the Box-Brownie and use up the Kodachrome, send you the results.

Looking forwards to using another 'classic-from-the-cupboard' on Sunday, my Marlin 39A. If no bunnies, then a couple of empty dog-meat cans will do.

Adios Amigos........

Great post Steve, made me laugh......

• 2 weeks later...

All that glisters is not gold (it may be a pile of phoo!)

Well folks, the stock finally arrived all the way from Maryland, and what a misdescribed piece of junk it was! Looked like some blind whittler had been practicing his craft .............. and still had a way to go! It's on it's way back to Maryland.

Can any one help me with either a plain or diamond pattern stock for my Ithaca M37 please?

Regards from a moist Cornwall

Steve

Package of bits arrived today for restoring the Savage to the land of the living (Many thanks Edd) (via PW) Currently working on easing the mag tube entrance of the 37 to facilitate speedloading. Slow process as do not want to remove too much material.

Been thinking about a synthetic stock and fore-end for the 37 as do not want to destroy the wood wacking barricades et al during PSG.........long shot is there anything out there?

Edited by impala59

I enjoyed this topic and was surprised to see as many pump guns some I was very familiar with others not so much but I didn't see any pump rifles would it be out of line to post some I have 3 pump rifles a Savage 170 in 30-30 witch is my most recent bought used about five years ago next is a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen and last is my late brothers Remington 14 in 35 Rem