New .410 tried and tested

motty

I have now had my new Mossberg 500 silenced .410 pump for nearly a fortnight. I've fired a few shots with and I just thought i'd share my views on the gun and some of the cartridges available for it. It is chambered for 3" shells and is full choke.

I've only used it pigeon shooting, so far.

The gun is not as muzzle heavy as some might expect and I find it handles quite well.

A few pigeons may well owe their lives to the fact that I regularly forget to 'pump'.

I have tried a few different shells. The quietest (obviously) have been the 18gm 6 subsonics. They seemed to kill the pigeons I connected with fairly well. I used the same load in the regular (non-sub) shells. These weren't excessively loud.

The best killers I found were the Eley trap cartridges. They weigh in at 19 grams and are size 7.5. I killed a very nice double with these yesterday, both birds being over 30 yards. I was advised not to use plastic wads through this gun (these shells are plastic wad), but I've had no trouble with them so far.

I would highly recommend this little gun (and the 19 gram 7.5s) and will be using this on a regular basis to shoot pigeons.

Be careful when they say don't use plaswads as the ports to silence it can trap a plaswad in the barel with a nasty outcome, fiber wads just get the soundmod and ports filthy.

I helped a mate strip his moderated twenty ou and the bits in the mod surprised us both especially the bits of plastic wad, the gun barrels had plenty of rust on also, so a regular strip and clean is needed.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Be careful when they say don't use plaswads as the ports to silence it can trap a plaswad in the barel with a nasty outcome, fiber wads just get the soundmod and ports filthy.

I helped a mate strip his moderated twenty ou and the bits in the mod surprised us both especially the bits of plastic wad, the gun barrels had plenty of rust on also, so a regular strip and clean is needed.

Figgy

yepper...any form of combustion produces water vapour that wants ro condense on any cooler surface it finds.

Fire arm silencers hardly get hot enough to prevent condensing. A good example is a car exhaust in cool weather and a cold start. Water drips from the exhaust untill the system is warm.

You can thus understand how many a barrel is ruined by silencers apart from those that use lubricated bullets.

I have now had my new Mossberg 500 silenced .410 pump for nearly a fortnight. I've fired a few shots with and I just thought i'd share my views on the gun and some of the cartridges available for it. It is chambered for 3" shells and is full choke.

I've only used it pigeon shooting, so far.

The gun is not as muzzle heavy as some might expect and I find it handles quite well.

A few pigeons may well owe their lives to the fact that I regularly forget to 'pump'.

I have tried a few different shells. The quietest (obviously) have been the 18gm 6 subsonics. They seemed to kill the pigeons I connected with fairly well. I used the same load in the regular (non-sub) shells. These weren't excessively loud.

The best killers I found were the Eley trap cartridges. They weigh in at 19 grams and are size 7.5. I killed a very nice double with these yesterday, both birds being over 30 yards. I was advised not to use plastic wads through this gun (these shells are plastic wad), but I've had no trouble with them so far.

I would highly recommend this little gun (and the 19 gram 7.5s) and will be using this on a regular basis to shoot pigeons.

Informative post as always, do you find the lower noise from the trap shells has any real effect on how the day turns out in terms of overall bag ? It must be useful at times turning fewer birds away in the general vicinity but I personally found the greater effectiveness of the 12g meant being able to reach out to far greater numbers / chances of shots although my 410 foray was with the unsilenced version.

Also did you find whether you had any more runners than usual ?

Edited by Hamster

Informative post as always, do you find the lower noise from the trap shells has any real effect on how the day turns out in terms of overall bag ? It must be useful at times turning fewer birds away in the general vicinity but I personally found the greater effectiveness of the 12g meant being able to reach out to far greater numbers / chances of shots although my 410 foray was with the unsilenced version.

Also did you find whether you had any more runners than usual ?

I imagine if i'm not strict enough with the range I shoot, then I could end up with a fair few runners. I've killed quite a few stone dead, but a few necks have had to be wrung also.

The pigeons don't appear to escape with as much vigour as they normally would after firing the 12, enabling the subsequent shots to be taken.

I really need a 'hot' day on the pigeons to really see how the gun performs and how the pigeons behaviour changes while using it.

they kill very well as long as you keep the range under 30 I find. I am interested you say your is Full because when I looked and gened up on these I think I remember they were all half (not that this effects things much at .410 range) just interested

they kill very well as long as you keep the range under 30 I find. I am interested you say your is Full because when I looked and gened up on these I think I remember they were all half (not that this effects things much at .410 range) just interested

Mine is full choke.

I thought that that particular gun was completely silent because you couldn't find any pigeons to shoot.

I haven't found enough to have a 'proper' shoot yet. Fingers crossed it can be this weekend, I've had the second wave of rape fields cut on the farms I shoot.

mine was full and two mate who had them there"s were full also.

Good little guns