canada geese

bumpy22

Its fine just don't treat it like a goose and know that its best to carve it across the grain. Makes a great beef substitute and mince, think meat and potato pie , chilly etc not traditional goose meals. Coriander, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper etc and loose the fat.

Slow cooking don't work unless its as a stew

My mate gave me a couple ...tough or what ...they must have been the two oldest geese in the world ..if you could make tyres out of them they'd last a lifetime .. :lol:

My last one must have been from the same family as your ones " moose man " , If you had slow cooked it for the 14 years since I last shot it the oven would have been more tender than the goose , :yes: no im sorry I am not a devotee of eating Canads and never will be.

Hence why I have purchased an electric mincer. Going to try burgers and mixed game/fowl sausages too.

Its fine just don't treat it like a goose and know that its best to carve it across the grain. Makes a great beef substitute and mince, think meat and potato pie , chilly etc not traditional goose meals. Coriander, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper etc and loose the fat.

Slow cooking don't work unless its as a stew

Nowt wrong with a bit of Canada meat. I really don't know why it has such a bad reputati

I have eaten good and bad with nearly every thing on the shooting list from Snipe up to Canadas , the only one I haven't tried is the Grouse and to shoot one in Norfolk would be nigh on impossible . Like" kent " says if you add a load of different spices in with it , or mince it , turn it into sausages or dress it up like a Christmas tree then it might be edible , but all I want to do is to pluck it , stick it in a casserole dish with maybe a tin of cook in sause and that is it ...job done . At the moment hanging in my shed I have got 2 Partridges from a shoot we had during the week , 2 Widgeon , 3 Wood Pigeons and 1 Mallard and I go on two more shoots next week where I can have a brace of birds, so I don't want to go through all that hassle trying to make something taste better that i'm not to keen on, when i've got birds hanging up which when cooked will taste like the birds you have plucked out.

Don't get me wrong I don't mean drown them in herbs and spices, its just you don't use the same stuff you might on a pink. Any fowl tastes bad if its been eating trash and many with a poor rep can taste great if you cook em right. I eat a lot of canadas each season and quite like them, remember to our American friends they are very worthy table birds

Personally think Canadas are the best goose to eat, I just don't rate them as a sporting bird.

Take a Canada breast skin on. Lay skin down, slit longways leaving an inch each end and without going through the skin, stuff with black pudding, cover in the fattiest bacon you can find, chuck in some chopped onion, add a little olive oil, wrap in foil and cook in the oven on 100 for two hours. Bloody lovely :good: Oh, and after you've breasted your bird, get a sharp knife and cut any slithers left on the carcass, cook them in the George Forman Grilling Machine, tastes just like steak.....

Personally think Canadas are the best goose to eat, I just don't rate them as a sporting bird.

Exactly right Chad63. They are the tenderest goose available in the UK unless you buy one from Tescos. Why because they are not true wild geese that have flown thousands of miles in their short lives. Truelly wild geese are as would be expected as tough as old boots unless cooked correctly.

Over the years I have eaten a lot of canadas and every one has been very good , young or old. One of the best I have had was debreasted and covered in lard ,wraped in tinfoil and roasted on a low heat for 3 hours . It weighed 17 and 1\2 pounds and was a real old timer. On the other hand while most greylag are ok I have had some real fork bending greys. As in any game the secret is in the cooking.