Left eye dominance

roadkill

Right been shooting quite a bit now and usually hit around 37 / 40 on 50bird sporting, it wasn't till this Sunday when a fellow shooter was talking about eye dominance that i thought i would test mine with the finger trick, well guess what it turns out i'm left eye dominant and a right handed shooter.

So where does this leave me and what does it mean for my shooting?

I shoot with both eyes open.

Jamie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only eye dominance test that matters to my mind is the one with your gun in your shoulder any other is a guesstimate sometime accurate sometimes not.

Perfect answer. The only real 'fix' for cross dominance is to ignore it and keep shooting just the way you are. The brain can adapt to the situation as long as you don't confuse it with vision occluders like closing one eye, fitting sticky tape/dots on your glasses or installing crazy beads.

agree with westward/w/warrior above.

The best test if you want a good idea is take a cd at arms length,look through the hole at something i sky/well lit,then in 1 smooth movement pull cd back to your face..it will go to 1 eye and that is your dominant eye.....this is better than just finger etc as concentrates the eyes...atb

The best test if you want a good idea is take a cd at arms length,look through the hole at something i sky/well lit,then in 1 smooth movement pull cd back to your face..it will go to 1 eye and that is your dominant eye.....this is better than just finger etc as concentrates the eyes...atb

Still does not allow for cast on a stock and the brain auto realigning to the rib.

Right then strange update, I tried it with the gun mounted and pointed at the angels head on the Xmas tree with both eyes open, close my left eye and it was bang on target then close the right eye and could see down the side of the barrels. So with the gun its opersit to the finger, really confused now

Edited by roadkill

A lot of eye dominance tests are flawed if the person doesn’t have a very strong dominance to one eye or central vision, so pointing or using a hole in a CD can throw up one result but when a gun is mounted the brain realises you want to look down the rib so chooses the correct eye.

Right then strange update, I tried it with the gun mounted and pointed at the angels head on the Xmas tree with both eyes open, close my left eye and it was bang on target then close the right eye and could see down the side of the barrels. So with the gun its opersit to the finger, really confused now

you're right eye dominant. Try shooting from left shoulder, bet you don't get 37/40 ex50 then !!

A lot of eye dominance tests are flawed if the person doesn’t have a very strong dominance to one eye or central vision, so pointing or using a hole in a CD can throw up one result but when a gun is mounted the brain realises you want to look down the rib so chooses the correct eye.

Exactly!

I seem to remember a post from Ed Solomons where he mentioned being left handed & right eye dominant but shoots with both eyes open and with no "dominance correction aids".

The brain can sort it out; all you have to do is give it a chance.

There was a similar thread a little while back,and I done the test and I am left eye dominant and a right handed shooter. I used to close left eye when aiming but now shoot both eyes open. And I have to say my hit ratio has improved a lot. Before I'd miss what I thought were relatively easy shots and I found I wounded a lot of birds. I now get a lot more clean kills and don't miss the sitters like I used to.

I'm still getting used to the both eyes open thing but so far so good

Jim

Sounds like you're right eye dominant. Try mounting the gun in front of a mirror but with both eyes closed. Once mounted open your right eye. It should be looking straight down the rib, and if it is you'll be able to see it just above the rib in the mirror.

Eye dominance can switch or partially alter during shooting, it is caused by stress. I have had pupils (the human kind, not the eye variety !), who, when checked off range have been definite 'right eyed'. During the shooting lesson their eye dominance has changed. It is most noticeable on an incoming or a teal type target. I will let them call for the bird and then shout "left eye shut" and the clay will break, every time. Usually a break and a coffee will resume normal service, but on occasions the opaque lens patch on their shooting glasses has to be used. I would suggest by your scores that it may be a stress thing or even fatigue, try shooting 25/30 birds, take a break and come back to shoot the remainder, it will not do any harm even if that is not the answer. If it persists seek the help of a good coach.

I was apprently left eye dominant, right handed shooter. What I did for a few months was got a bit of scotch tape on the inside of my glasses so when the gun was mounted it just coveted the bead.

I can now shoot with no tape on my glasses. I still have moments where I have to shoot with my left eye shut on some clays but 95% of the time I can shoot with both eyes open

I imagine it depends on the strength of the dominance as a slightly dominant left eye can be overcome by practice but I'm strongly left eye dominant (I'm a photographer and have always used my left eye even though you'd naturally use your right) so I shoot left handed. It works for me but probably not good for everyone.

So what happens with central vision

b50404fdea100cfd2aebe648439a06e8_zps71a2

Forgot to account for 'scouse' humour.

I am well mixed up, i am left handed but shoot right handed,but shoot with left eye closed,i always thought i was a poo shot but a couple of weeks ago i went for contact lenses and the optician told me i was very left eye dominant.

But things seem to have worked out as i was trying bifocal contacts but they robbed to much distance vision,but the optician told me to just use one in my left eye which is set for reading my right eye has no contact lens and has good long range vision,the optician checked to see if my brain could handle the lack of convergence that both eyes presented if they were normal,my brain had it sussed and no problems,so when i am reading or on the laptop my left eye works,watching tv looking down a field etc my right eye takes over,sounds strange but surprisingly works very well,and the contact lenses are half price :good::lol: