Not even one more shooter has attended as a result of Pigeonwatch post

Redm0002

I have been posting information re: Redbournbury's fortnightly Sporting Clay events since May 2015.

As far as I am aware no extra shooters have attended any of the shoots. I have sent flyers to the gunshops and dealers in Herts, Beds, Bucks, Oxon and Essex. I have put information on the website and Facebook and still no more than 15-18 shooters turn up. It is so frustrating that such a friendly, welcoming and challenging shoot doesn't get any more support than from a core of regulars.

This will be my last post.

Saturday 06/08/16 Starting 12:30. Last card 16:00. £15 for a 60 bird shoot.

Tea/coffee on the ticket. Bacon rolls etc are available.

SGC required. Fibre wad cartridges only, available on site £4:50 for a box of 25.

I have been posting information re: Redbournbury's fortnightly Sporting Clay events since May 2015.

As far as I am aware no extra shooters have attended any of the shoots. I have sent flyers to the gunshops and dealers in Herts, Beds, Bucks, Oxon and Essex. I have put information on the website and Facebook and still no more than 15-18 shooters turn up. It is so frustrating that such a friendly, welcoming and challenging shoot doesn't get any more support than from a core of regulars.

SGC required. Fibre wad cartridges only, available on site £4:50 for a box of 25.

Where is it?

I've no idea where Redbournbury is. Does the shoot have a website? If not why not?

In June 2015 Mark Hughes and took over the run down Rixton CPC AKA Astley Gun Club.

Right from the start I have posted on PW about the progress that we have made along the way; posted about forthcoming shoots etc.

I'm pleased to advise that our is the opposite experience.

We have almost doubled the membership despite a number voting with their feet in protest at the changes that we introduced. Membership is continuing to grow slowly. We now also attract a sensible number of visitors, some of whom decide to join.

It would be wrong of me to suggest that our growth and success has been soley due to PW, but it certainly has added to our membership, attendance and number of BASC Shotgun lessons delivered.

We now shoot 60 birds over 7 stands and also have 2 practice stands.

We did have a problem with mud following rain. The shoot is located on a moss but we have not given up. We've laid several tons of woodchip to make paths, the project continues, but we have won the mud problem. I'll be there on Sunday with my Grandson and a couple of volunteers laying yet more woodchip and doing other jobs to further develop the shoot and its facilities.

It is very disappointing when we go to the significant effort that it takes to set the shoot up to then find that we get a poor attendance due to an inaccurate weather forecast and shooters who are not willing to take a risk with the rain.

Our next shoot is on Sunday 7th. August commencing at 10am, last entries 1pm.

60 birds £17

Cartridges £5 we prefer fiber wads but plastic is OK

Bacon baps £2.50

Tea or Coffee £1

Other refreshments available.

Posting on PW certainly works and it costs nothing but a little time.

webber

www.astleygunclub.co.uk

Edited by webber

This appears to be a common problem - people post about their clay shoots and many are just by name (webber excepted) with no reference to where they are, who to contact for info, how to find it, where to park,etc. Nobody will come if you do not post this information.

As an example I recently attended one of my local shoots, now, I had about half this info and had found it on the map but I still had difficulty finding the venue the first time.

Edited by Yellow Bear

As I have mentioned in reply to your previous posts, it would be in excess of an hour and a half journey to your shoot.

Within a third of that distance I could reach the following;

Orston, Sporting Targets, Grimsthorpe, Cambridge, Kibworth to name but five.

Keep up the good work, but you have either informed all of those in your area or PW is not the right place to advertise.

Good luck

As I said in a previous thread ,there must be a reason for your poor attendances but only you can find what it/they are .Every clay shoot I`ve seen start up ,has grown with time.

It`s not our fault,honest !

It's no ones fault. I fully accept/agree that people have other commitments, access to more local shoots on days and at times more suited to them. Distance to travel is also a big cost factor for many. I have always put Herts in my titles to inform on the area.

I know some people will read posts purely out of interest, whether a clay shooter or not. But out of the hundreds that have read my posts over time, you would think at least one or two would give it a go. Most weeks although I get readers there are no replies.

I have tried being cryptic or intriguing with my titles (like the current one which has sparked unprecedented numbers) to try and generate some interest, even offered a discount, still nothing. A home and away competition with members from AGL at Markyate is being arranged to maybe stimulate some interest. I've been helping out with the shoot for two years and it has existed in one form or other for many more prior to that, yet apart from the odd shoot that has seen numbers in the 20s, the usual remains in the teens. The danger is that the shoot will not remain viable and it really is too good to lose, as was the case with the Cupid Green Skeet and ABT club that folded last year.

I have posted details about the website and Facebook pages and given advice re: directions. The site has no mains electric, water or postal delivery, so there is no post code. Google Maps has just been updated to show the correct location of the site, it was previously shown as the nearby farm.

The site is best accessed from the Harpenden to St Albans road via Beesonend Lane. Shoot signs are put up on the Friday before a shoot and there are the brown Fishery signs as well. You follow the lane for a mile or so down to a ford on the River Ver. There you turn right, across the corner of the ford (even in winter it is not too deep for most cars, my mate drives a BMW Z4 through OK) and continue to the end of the lane. The site is on a flood plane and can get wet and muddy but a lot of places run that risk.

There is a trout lake and coarse lake on site, ample parking. There are even brown trout in the river up to 3lb. Where else locally could you fish for those on a £15 ticket (the Browns are strictly catch and release)?

Searches on Google for Redbournbury Fishery and Sporting Clay site will direct you to the website and FB page.

Your interest and comments are much appreciated.

L8rs

Martin

Having been involved with a club that had muddy/poor access and shooting ground ,I know that that will put off many shooters.

30-40 yrs ago,clay shoots were mostly straw bale jobs but people expect much better facilities nowadays.

I have commented on this before but I'll say it again, Saturday is an awkward day for a lot of people, Have you considered swapping to a Sunday or mixing the dates about so it's not always every other week?

I'd love to come and shoot at Redbournbury, the fact it's small and basic is all the more appealing for me, I dislike corporate shooting grounds.

The fact remains that each and every shoot clashes with work.

I will be coming when my shifts change, although when I mentioned it to some friends they were also hesitant because it was on a Saturday.

Don't give up, not until I've had a chance to come and have a go anyway :).

If you were able to make it 100 birds, you might get more people. It would be a fair distance for me to travel to shoot 60. I know I could go around again but I don't really like to do that too often. Catch 22 I suppose with the price of traps versus how any you get turning up. How far from AGL is it please?

All grounds I have shot at have suffered to a degree with mud if it is or has been raining. Redbournbury is no different and no worse.

Most shooters are also involved with pigeon, rough,, walk up and driven game shooting, all of which suffer due to bad weather. They go

equipped.

As for access, only the bottom end of Beesonend Lane is not hard top, the gravel part does have some potholes but again this is not excessive or unique to Redbournbury.

I have already described the ford and it really is only a few yards of shallow water to drive through. The site is also a popular fishery and

the ford is no obstacle for the numbers that fish. I see you are from North Wales 'robbiep', with the amount of rain that falls there I would think your normal driving and walking conditions are in excess of anything you would experience with a trip to Redbournbury.

Very close then. I just won a membership to AGL and although I do have my local club only 5 mins from where I live and can shoot lots of disciplines for an exceptionally cheap rate due to the volume I shoot I thought I might try to make use of my AGL membership so I could do AGL and your shoot from time to time on a Saturday so long as my focus can get through your ford

The OP needs to read Webber's post and take heed. There must be an issue if attendances are so low.

Webber has vastly improved the walkways - Rixton wasn't really bad before, but any improvement reaps dividends. Not everyone wants to use wellingtons. Clubhouse, food facilities and signage have all been improved, let alone the variety of clays thrown. In short, he has brought it into the 21st Century.

He has also advertised on here, with photo updates.

It might seem a lot of work - it is - but if clubs want to grow, this is what is necessary.

Sian

I can assure you that your Focus would be able to negotiate the short length of ford you would have to drive through. Clios and Fiestas

have no trouble. It would be a totally different matter if you approached the site from the Rebourn to St Albans road. That would mean

having to cross two very wide fords.

Gordon R

If there is an issue then I am at a loss as to what it could be. The site is very scenic in its Summer garb with the river and lakes. Due to

the weather the ground is currently dry and it is relatively flat, no steep inclines. Each shoot is different. Standard, midi, Battue and rabbit clays are used to set up challenging shoots. Two towers and a mound are utilised in setting up the shoots. The traps are all push button controlled and the paired targets are launched as either on report or as a simultaneous pair.

Tea or coffee comes with the ticket and rolls or a brunch bowl can be purchased at a reasonable price (bacon, sausage, black pudding, egg, mushroom, onion, beans, fried bread). There is a portaloo.

Those that do come to shoot are friendly and welcoming and are mostly very complimentary about each shoot. The moans and groans are mostly saved for the tricky targets that have hit their score card.

The many fisherman I have spoken to all say what a fantastic place it is to come to fish. The shoots are limited to every other Saturday and the site will never be on a par with AGL or EJ Churchill, but then neither are the prices. £15 for a 60 bird shoot and cartridges at £4:50 a box is within most people's pocket. I shot the 50 bird sporting clay shoot at this weekends Game Fair and that was £30!

As I have already said most of my Pigeonwatch posts have been read by many subscribers but with little or no replies and certainly no extra shooters. At least this current post has stimulated replies, comments and suggestions which are both encouraging and appreciated. I don't think moving to a Sunday would have much benefit as you hear many talking about other shoots, activities, commitments that people have that would again clash. A 100 bird shoot might be possible but that would put the price up for both the clays and cartridges. A second round at £12 would give a 120 bird shoot. To add further stands would impact on the other targets and perhaps impact on their quality. More birds off of the original 6 stands would not be dissimilar to a second round. This is all food for thought, so thank you for your time.

Perhaps, just perhaps we will see some of you readers/commenters on the 6th?

L8rs

Martin

The OP needs to read Webber's post and take heed. There must be an issue if attendances are so low.

Webber has vastly improved the walkways - Rixton wasn't really bad before, but any improvement reaps dividends. Not everyone wants to use wellingtons. Clubhouse, food facilities and signage have all been improved, let alone the variety of clays thrown. In short, he has brought it into the 21st Century.

He has also advertised on here, with photo updates.

It might seem a lot of work - it is - but if clubs want to grow, this is what is necessary.

Cheers Gordon.

It's good to learn that our efforts have not gone un noticed and are appreciated.

Over the last year we have:

Constructed a new car park.

Moved all portable buildings.

Installed a 40 foot Portacabin to replace the booking in office and cafe facilities thus improving our customers experience.

Modified the steel stands and installed 3 new wood one with more to follow.

Made and installed gun racks for each stand.

Created 5 new stand locations.

Laid wood chip paths to all stands to significantly improve the underfoot experience. I can't wear boots, but only needed my work shoes for the last 3 shoots despite the rain prior to and during the shoots.

Re vamped all existing traps.

Purchased 6 new traps.

All traps are now radio controlled. This vastly improved our set up and breakdown times and eliminated issues with broken wires and buttons.

Introduced an electronic counter system. This was necessary due to a significant number of extra birds being taken.

Improved signage and site safety.

Improved site security; this is ongoing.

Created a stores and workshop.

Installed electricity generation for Cafe.

Refitted the Cafe.

Planted hundreds of trees.

Provided 4 bench type tables for dining outside.

Commenced construction of outside dining shelter.

Installed a self filling welly wash; although this doesn't get used much now.

The above list is not exhaustive; it was achieved by a handful of friends and family.

Further projects on the list for when funding allows:

Wind & Solar power generation for on site battery charging. This will reduce our workload when setting up and breaking down.

Running water.

Disabled toilet facilities.

Increase the number of stands shot to allow a 100 bird shoot. Each new stand costs around £6000 to establish and equip.

Establish a pool shoot.

We've come a long way in 13 months; we've still a long way to go.

If I was in the OPs boots I would sack the Saturday shoot and move to Sunday.

Could consider alternating the days, but it may get messy.

Many work Saturday overtime to pay for Sundays shooting.

The current shooting times basically ruin a full day. Start at 10am last entries 1pm. Most of our shooters are done by noon, but there is no need for everyone to turn up for 10am.

The ford no matter how small is obviously a significant perceived obstacle. I would be looking to engineer a solution, that need not be a bridge or diversion..

webber

Rixton & Astley Shooting Club

www.astleygunclub.co.uk

Sian

I can assure you that your Focus would be able to negotiate the short length of ford you would have to drive through. Clios and Fiestas

have no trouble. It would be a totally different matter if you approached the site from the Rebourn to St Albans road. That would mean

having to cross two very wide fords.

Gordon R

If there is an issue then I am at a loss as to what it could be. The site is very scenic in its Summer garb with the river and lakes. Due to

the weather the ground is currently dry and it is relatively flat, no steep inclines. Each shoot is different. Standard, midi, Battue and rabbit clays are used to set up challenging shoots. Two towers and a mound are utilised in setting up the shoots. The traps are all push button controlled and the paired targets are launched as either on report or as a simultaneous pair.

Tea or coffee comes with the ticket and rolls or a brunch bowl can be purchased at a reasonable price (bacon, sausage, black pudding, egg, mushroom, onion, beans, fried bread). There is a portaloo.

Those that do come to shoot are friendly and welcoming and are mostly very complimentary about each shoot. The moans and groans are mostly saved for the tricky targets that have hit their score card.

The many fisherman I have spoken to all say what a fantastic place it is to come to fish. The shoots are limited to every other Saturday and the site will never be on a par with AGL or EJ Churchill, but then neither are the prices. £15 for a 60 bird shoot and cartridges at £4:50 a box is within most people's pocket. I shot the 50 bird sporting clay shoot at this weekends Game Fair and that was £30!

As I have already said most of my Pigeonwatch posts have been read by many subscribers but with little or no replies and certainly no extra shooters. At least this current post has stimulated replies, comments and suggestions which are both encouraging and appreciated. I don't think moving to a Sunday would have much benefit as you hear many talking about other shoots, activities, commitments that people have that would again clash. A 100 bird shoot might be possible but that would put the price up for both the clays and cartridges. A second round at £12 would give a 120 bird shoot. To add further stands would impact on the other targets and perhaps impact on their quality. More birds off of the original 6 stands would not be dissimilar to a second round. This is all food for thought, so thank you for your time.

Perhaps, just perhaps we will see some of you readers/commenters on the 6th?

L8rs

Martin

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth - wrong country, so I won't be turning up but your issue is similar to what I deal with in work.

If anyone comes to your shoot, it's an effort for them and a cost; the cost being their time and the fact that they don't go to an established club nearby where they know what to expect.

Therefore you need to make it as easy and as welcoming for people to turn up as possible.

Reading your website;

No google map link, no photos, tiny hard to read text and an awful lot (I count it as 60%+) of the content is about fishing.

In short, I read this as hard to get to go (like hell I'm driving my bmw through a ford) and then I'm essentially going shooting in a bog. No idea what sort of traps are there, nor what the ground is like.

I have no idea what the facilities are, I have no idea if I can get a bit of shelter from the rain and some food while I'm there. The only updates are from some guy called Clive who goes fishing...

You aren't making it attractive or easy for people to make the decison to go there.

We owe you nothing, it is a hindrance to go to your shoot over another one so you need to really make it clear just how great an experience we are going to get and why we should spend the time, effort and cash to shoot in your place. Lots of photos of happy competitors, a clearly defined shooting area on the website, some proper directions and remove any reference to the ford. Scores from the shoots would be great also, it lets us assess that to expect on the next week.

Iano

I'm sorry but I have to take issue with some of your comments. If I put Redbournbury Fishery and Sporting Clays into Google the first thing I see is a Google location map (which I have already explained was recently updated to show the site and not as previously the nearby farm), CALL (which connects you to the owner's mobile), DIRECTIONS (which will take your location and direct you to the shoot) and a link to the WEBSITE. As far as the website is concerned, I am not the owner, I volunteer my help in helping to set up and run the shoot. I agree there could be more shooting content and that is something that can easily be addressed.

Driving to the site by the suggested route means you have to cut through the corner of one ford (usually a couple of car lengths of inches deep water), the regular shooters and numerous fishermen do this throughout the year. So the site is not hard to get to and no one is shooting or fishing in a bog. You can't lose the ford, so in all fairness I give the details to the readers, there is nothing to hide and they know what to expect.

In all of my posts I have given dates, times, locations and directions (or where to find them), costs, facilities, details of refreshments. Yet you say the shoot is not being made attractive. I am at a loss, perhaps a bus to bring the punters in?

In October 2015 I posted the complete shoot layout on the 03/10/15 with pictures on the Fishery/Shoot's Facebook page. The information is there if you look in the right place.

Posting scores would be of limited value, skill level of shooters attending varies. Also the shoots are never the same. It all comes down to each individual's ability in the end. It is up to the individual to accept the challenge.

I have posted flyers to 20+ gun shops/dealers around the local counties and asked for them to be made available to their customers.

Thanks for taking the time.

Martin

Take issue all you want - I'm just telling you why I wouldn't be attending the shoot based on what I see and what I'd need to see if you were going to swing my vote.

Everyday I work with businesses who keep saying - why won't people buy my product, it's fantastic, they just won't buy it. They (like you) get angry that after all the effort they put in, they don't get results. They seem to think (as you do) that your effort creates an obligation of sorts for people to buy their wares. And, they (like you) come up with reasons why the advice given is wrong.

You've been told by multiple people:

Shoots on Saturday are bad

You make it sound hard to get to

You shoot too late in the afternoon

I'm telling you also that you have a woeful website (and yes, it does matter; a good website won't bring in people on its own but a bad website will stop people chosing to go there).

You make it sound like you are shooting in a bog

You don't give any evidence that it's a good shoot (no pictures, no scores, no happy competitors, no reviews), we just have it take it on faith

Now, take issue all you want with the above, this is an online forum. You can tell us why we are wrong on those points, but at the end of the day, you aren't getting the people shooting and some of the people (not me) here who are giving you advice are people who have been in your shoes and made it work. The rest (again, apart from me) are the people you are trying to entice.

Edited by iano