BOOTIFUL DAY

marsh man

Yesterday morning I got a phone call from one of our chaps who pick up on the shoot , it started off , are you doing anything today John , my reply was , not really why , well I can go on a rape stubble field with a nice lot of pigeons going on it would you like to come and hopefully get a few between us.

I knew the field he talking about as I looked at it myself last week when the combine was just about to start cutting it and over the years I had shot 100s of pigeon on that field and the ones that border it , so my answer was yes , what time do you want me to see you , what about 11 to 11.30 , no problem see you near the gate entrance.

As it turned out I got there 10 minutes before Rob and it gave me time to weigh up where to go , with the wind blowing slightly from the wrong direction we both decided to go within shooting range from each other , from the word go odd ones were drawn in to two magnets and a flapper and a lot of them ( not all by no means 0 paid the price , my young dog was kept busy picking up the ones we thought were walking wounded and what were dead we left till we had a pick up now again .

Throughout the day we saw a lot of pigeons going on dry peas and a field of spring barley which are now out of bounds due to young poults being putting out in the game covers , but more than enough were crossing the field we were on and both of us were getting a nice lot of shooting .

We decided we call it a day at 6 o clock as we had a lot of picking up and I was going around the trees with my dog where several clipped ones made there way to, anyhow after a long day for me and my young dog we fineally picked up 138 from around 160 shot ,

This is the only time I have laid the bag out at the end of the day , and time I got home I had about as much life in me as some of the pigeons that were laid out :lol:SAM_4568_zpsnucs6mz9.jpgSAM_4559_zpsp6xb5ewo.jpg

Thanks to all you guys, and I hope your turn to get amongst them is getting very close , just read mottys new post and he have just had another brilliant day so maybe your turn is next. Good luck

Well done John and young dog. Was that between you?

Hi Paul ... Yes we ended up putting the hides close to each other and took turns each shooting over each others decoys so it made interesting shooting

How is Tilly performing now and will you be using her this coming season ?

A good story from you as usual and a very good bag.

As for the lay out, Fenland style remains my favourite.

Thanks Mr JDog ..... I don't know what got into me messing about laying em out after years of perfecting the Fenland style , maybe the sun got to me , but you can rest assured that was a one off and I doubt it will ever be repeated . :lol:

Well done John sounds a Cracking day with some accurate shooting

Thanks Brad..... Yes it was a good day , come to think of it all days out are good but some days are better than others as for accurate shooting I shot well for the first two to three hours , then I had a relapse and had to resort to a bottle of Lucozade and a pork pie before I got back into the rhythm

I remember your post in the winter where you shot Pinks under the moon in two counties on the same night , well yesterday I might have matched or got close during the same with pigeons.

We have got a lane that that ran down the edge of the stubble that is the boundary between Norfolk and Suffolk and although our hides were in Norfolk one or pigeons shot went over the track and dropped on the dry peas in Suffolk , now that is long range shooting with Gamebore 30gms Clear Pigeon , shooting em in one countie and dropping them in a different one :lol:

Great story and picture MM well done. Picking up and laying out does take it out of you at the end of a successful day.

I once tried to work out how many times I pick up the same bird, when shot,picture,bagging up for Disco, chilling in garage,freezer and then in bag for collection. Seven times I think?

Thanks P C ...... I always admire your posts and dedication to the art of pigeon shooting , and even after all the years I have been trying to master it , I can still find little snippets of useful information after reading yours and digesting it .

As for laying them out at the end of the day , i will stick to my day job and drop out of trying to get close to the master pigeon undertaker .

Enjoy the rest of your time away and we look forward to your new reports and photos .

'How is Tilly performing now and will you be using her this coming season ?'

John, still a bit so, so. Had a great lesson with her on Sunday, behaved impeccably, but back to being a cow when I have taken her out in the evenings for a session. She insists on running around with a dummy as it it is a toy and not delivering to hand. I get her to do it eventually, but it is frustrating, so no, I don't think she be out this coming season unless she settles.

Thanks P C ...... I always admire your posts and dedication to the art of pigeon shooting , and even after all the years I have been trying to master it , I can still find little snippets of useful information after reading yours and digesting it .

As for laying them out at the end of the day , i will stick to my day job and drop out of trying to get close to the master pigeon undertaker .

Enjoy the rest of your time away and we look forward to your new reports and photos .

Thanks for your kind words.