berretta

tony armstrong

looking to buy a berretta o u 12 g please suggest most suitable model barrell lenght chokes etc i do a lot of pigeon shooting im in a pheasant syndicate some walked up days some driven and also i do quite a bit of duck shooting.i have looked at two so far the silver pigeon 3 and the ultralight deluxe .your thoughts would be much appreciated cheers tony.

My brother has an ultralight delux and suits him down to the ground as he is about 6ft4 and 10 stone (no joke) however it does kick a hell off a lot but is nice and pointable compared to my silver pigeon but they told him you dont want more than 30g 6's if you dont want to reck your shoulder so may not be much cop for the duck. Either are good guns.

George

looking to buy a berretta o u 12 g please suggest most suitable model barrell lenght chokes etc i do a lot of pigeon shooting im in a pheasant syndicate some walked up days some driven and also i do quite a bit of duck shooting.i have looked at two so far the silver pigeon 3 and the ultralight deluxe .your thoughts would be much appreciated cheers tony.

Just worth a mention, if you are buying any of the higher end Beretta's models, check to see if they have a 3" chamber proofed for High performance steel. A standard silver pigeon is, but I know for sure that the ultralight only has a 2 3/4" chamber. I have found if you are doing mixed days it is a little annoying if you dont have a gun that you can't put everything through.

Just worth a mention, if you are buying any of the higher end Beretta's models, check to see if they have a 3" chamber proofed for High performance steel. A standard silver pigeon is, but I know for sure that the ultralight only has a 2 3/4" chamber. I have found if you are doing mixed days it is a little annoying if you dont have a gun that you can't put everything through.

The whole idea of the Ultralight is that is designed for walked up days where there is a lot more walking than shooting and are taiolr made for loads upto 28gram. If you have a gun that weighs 6lb and has an alloy action with a titanium insert and you start sticking 3" through it, neither your shoulder or the gun will last very long.

All other current Berettas are 3" and are steel shot proofed

I've owned an Ultralight for a while now, my style of shooting tends to revolve a round a two or three hour walk. I've been using 32g #6 all year & I've shot in the region of 50 or 60 during a walk, the gun doesn't kick excessively & I've never noticed any kind of a mark on my shoulder. It's spot on for what I do. I previously owned a 525 which I found both heavy & numb for a lot of walking.

I have the Silver Pigeon 3 687 in 30" barrels, 3 inch chambers, steel proofed etc. - the sporting version. Use it for everything and find it a brilliant gun, the walnut stock looks amazing too and the recoil seems lower than my dads older beretta 686 which is good too.

Could only say good things about it really, would highly reccomend! Some would probably argue its a bit heavy for rough shooting, but I've never found it a problem and find the extra weight improves my swing anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I would go for the S.P 3 as you ,ll find the ultralight not best when duck shooting especially since you do quite a lot.

I have found the S.P 3 ideal for mixed shooting and not too heavy.

Silver Pigeon III...28" game, (i.e fixed choke) but I'm biased because I have one. Honestly though, the gun will do everthing you need. I have used mine on clays, pigeon, rough shooting, driven pheasant, the works, and I have never found it wanting.

My aim on the other hand.... :P

Edited by Sinistercr0c

:lol: 12gauge Silver Pigeon 3. :rolleyes:

It will shoot anything you care to mention. From any clay discipline to rabbits/pigeons/geese, as it has 3 inch chambers.

The weight of the sporter will keep the recoil down with the bigger loads for duck/geese. B)