not seen any pigeon on rape yet

midge28

i shoot 4 farms in the north kent area and seems to be a lack of pigeons about , spent a few hours today looking and walked the rape fields and they have not even been touched yet and there not on the stubble, anyone in the north kent seen any on the rape yet , i cant find any ,

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In October was knocking on farmers doors asking if I could shoot rabbits with the air rifle or pigeons when my SGC comes through. One farmer said he already has somebody doing the rabbits and he had planted rape and would probably be needing a gun in the winter. I went back on Friday and spoke to him again. He said he's not having any problems with the pigeons at the minute but asked me to come back and speak to him at the turn of the year as when he has planted rape in the past this is when he's had problems with the pigeons

Go back through some of last years posts and the year before that and the year before that...it's always so at this time of year most of the birds are on acorns, berries etc etc and are not feeding on the field crops. They will start on the rape soon enough when the current food supply runs out and we get some hard weather.

I'm in Mid Norfolk and the pigeons have been on the rape for the last couple of weeks. Not just ones and twos but in flocks of 50+. Usual problem though is that I can have a good hours shooting but as there are 4 big fields of rape they move on after a while to one of the others.

They are causing a lot of damage and the farmer already has the gas guns in operation.

I'm in Mid Norfolk and the pigeons have been on the rape for the last couple of weeks. Not just ones and twos but in flocks of 50+. Usual problem though is that I can have a good hours shooting but as there are 4 big fields of rape they move on after a while to one of the others.

They are causing a lot of damage and the farmer already has the gas guns in operation.

They are flocking here in Cambridge now, for the last 4 weeks even. One Rape field, about 20 acres, is getting well hammered.

This year the Rape has been planted mostly along the River on our shoot, where the copse and large wooded areas are. This is where the Pheasant shoots are mostly held, consequently, us Pigeon shooters are not allowed near them until February, the end of the season. No bangers allowed either, to move them on.

Rape in the prarie fields has produced low kill numbers, as the not so stupid Pigeons seem to know we can not shoot where the Pheasants live, so congregate there or am I just imagining this?

The first gun out on the 2nd February should have a good day. It's a Tuesday and I think it might be me.

This yearhas been planted mostly along the River on our shoot, where the copse and large wooded areas are. This is where the Pheasant shoots are mostly held, consequently, us Pigeon shooters are not allowed near them until February, the end of the season. No bangers allowed either, to move them on.

The first gun out on the 2nd February should have a good day. It's a Tuesday and I think it might be me.

I dont understand any farmer and keeper should know that a well trusted gun not before a shoot day of course.

Will never upset the game birds I have many a good discussion with keeper over this lucky I normally win and get to shoot.

Most keeper are plonkers and think they own the farm themselves around here farmer and landowner are king and dont get told what and where than can do on there own land.

the fact is, rape is not their food of choice, they don't like the stuff, they'll only start feeding on it when other preferred foods have been eaten.

Cat.

Not sure on that one cat otherwise why are huge amount of birds shot on rape .

At the moment we have vast number feeding on maize cobs and right next to it the rape is being hammered .

So if they did like the stuff why would choose to eat when lovely sweetcorn next to it.

Edited by Over the hill

I was on a pheasent shoot yesterday and asked the farmers/landowners about pigeons on rape,the answer was that the ones that had been shot were stuffed with acorns and berries,the rape was untouched,BUT,wait until the colder weather sets in and then they will be on it.

Alan :angry:

Just come back from some land I shoot, on the rape there must have been at least 500 feeding at 15:15, so hopefully the wind stays in the same direction but a little stronger so I dont have to setup a rota ( I hate them) I will hit them Sat and Sun, so wish me luck. let you know how I get on later.

the fact is, rape is not their food of choice, they don't like the stuff, they'll only start feeding on it when other preferred foods have been eaten.

Cat.

Not sure on that one cat otherwise why are huge amount of birds shot on rape .

At the moment we have vast number feeding on maize cobs and right next to it the rape is being hammered .

So if they did like the stuff why would choose to eat when lovely sweetcorn next to it.

I didn't say you can't shoot huge numbers over rape, I've done so myself on many occassions, all I'm saying is it's not their food of choice, otherwise they'd be hitting it every from the moment it sprouts. :blink:

It doesn't provide much nutritional value, that's why they have to fill up a couple of times a day in Winter.

That's what it's like in my area, (Herts/Beds/Bucks), in other parts of the Country where there are fewer acorns and beechmast about they may well be on the rape already.

I've shot good bags of Pigeons over rape some years from mid October onwards, I can also remember years when you didn't see a bird on the rape until the first week in February, it's entirely dependent on what other food is available.

My observations are based on about 35 years experience at Pigeon shooting, (but I'm still learning :good: ), I can even remember when there was no rape being grown anywhere in my area, the Pigeons had a real tough time of it then, and we used to have proper Winters then, with regular snow fall..!!

Cat.

Just come back from some land I shoot, on the rape there must have been at least 500 feeding at 15:15, so hopefully the wind stays in the same direction but a little stronger so I dont have to setup a rota ( I hate them) I will hit them Sat and Sun, so wish me luck. let you know how I get on later.

I do wish you luck, you'll certainly need it if you're leaving your magnet behind when decoying over rape. :good:

Why have you got such a downer on them..??

Cat

I had a half serious recce this week looking for a few on OSR. Up in North Norfolk Holt, Bodham area nothing doing. On the way back dropped in a few places along the Holt, Norwich, Cromer roads nothing. A few birds working weed stubble but zilch on the rape. A funeral Thursday took me to Suffolk. Through Norwich, Bungay, Harleston there is shed loads of rape along the roadside. Nothing doing. Cut across to the A140 and checked our fields same result. The rape looks really well in most place, which is good news for the farmers?

To be honest i'm not suprised the birds aren't interested. The temperature has been 14c. We've had no frosts worth a mention. We shot a few birds at roost last weekend and they were brim full of haws and other berries. Like Cat i've had a few years at this game and all you can do is keep looking and wait for the weather to turn!

I'm off to Lakenheath for a few clays over the weekend. :good:

Edited by Whitebridges