Best 22lr

Tobyb525

Hi,

I will be getting my FAC in a couple of months and need some help choosing a rifle!

I will be buying a new synthetic stock 22lr plus sound mod for indoor target shooting and for rabbits etc.

I am probably going to get a CZ Style with a YoDave Trigger. Is there and advantage in terms of accuracy of the 20 inch barrel over the 16 inch using HV ammo?

I am also considering the Sako quad with just 22lr barrel or the Savage Mark 2 with stainless barrel.

Any advise on any of these guns will be very useful.

Also, which sound mod do people find is the most effective?

Cheers,

Toby :blush:

in 22 lr don`t go past a cz.you can spend a lot more like i did but the cz will shoot as well as anything else at rimfire ranges. sak moderators are well up to the job.

the 16" barrel will shoot as well as a 20" its just down to personal taste

Cheers,

I'm 99% sure I'll go for the 16inch Cz :blush:

My advice, have a look what everyone has got. CZ 452's and Ruger 10/22's are popular for a reason.

I had a remington model 5 because it was moderately cheaper than a CZ american. That soon went and is being replaced by a CZ as soon as my variation comes back. :blush:

Hi,

I will be getting my FAC in a couple of months and need some help choosing a rifle!

I will be buying a new synthetic stock 22lr plus sound mod for indoor target shooting and for rabbits etc.

I am probably going to get a CZ Style with a YoDave Trigger. Is there and advantage in terms of accuracy of the 20 inch barrel over the 16 inch using HV ammo?

I am also considering the Sako quad with just 22lr barrel or the Savage Mark 2 with stainless barrel.

Any advise on any of these guns will be very useful.

Also, which sound mod do people find is the most effective?

Cheers,

Toby :blush:

If we make the assumption your indoor target shooting will not be serious competition, then the CZ will be fine!

It will do you fine out if the field as well with the 16" barrel!!

Not a fan of the Savage, and Sako will just cost a lot more and offer little or nothing more than a CZ . :good:

actually the ruger 10/22 does exactly what shouldnt do.

offers poor accuracy and one of the most ugly rimfires on the market.

its cheap american rifle thats not even in the same league as CZ.

its popular for one reason and one reason only and thats to offer a cheap platform for a custom 22lr

by the time they are finished the only thing left is the magazine!!!

stick to CZ, sako and annie if i was you. or weihrauch if you fancy something different

its popular for one reason and one reason only and thats to offer a cheap platform for a custom 22lr

stick to CZ, sako and annie if i was you. or weihrauch if you fancy something different

Bull$h1t!!! I have one like this: http://ruger.com/products/1022Target/index.html

It is a great looking rifle and Very accurate. The fact that you can customise is an added bonus. Also when comparing a bolt action CZ to a SA 10/22 its not really a direct comparison. A Ruger 77/22 is a much better looking a smoother operating rifle than any CZ... http://ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazine7722/index.html

Bull$h1t!!! I have one like this: http://ruger.com/products/1022Target/index.html

It is a great looking rifle and Very accurate. The fact that you can customise is an added bonus. Also when comparing a bolt action CZ to a SA 10/22 its not really a direct comparison. A Ruger 77/22 is a much better looking a smoother operating rifle than any CZ... http://ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazine7722/index.html

Ah, I presume spoken by a true blinkered Ruger fan.

I had two Rugers - the last one had all the goodies (I thought that the 1st was so bad that it was a one - off)

Endless jams on both in spite of endless cleaning of the pathetically complicated magazines. Accuracy was very poor to average. You cannot beat a bolt action for accuracy unless you want to delude yourself.

I have had most - yes, CZ's are excellent for the money.

If you want class then get an Annie or Sako - you do pay more but you will get the best - it all depends on how much accuracy you want and how much money you have.

Don

Edited by Dead-Eyed Duck

Well I have a CZ Style .22lr 16" lined up whenever my FAC gets renewed (although that could be months). I am no expert on rifles by any means but from all the reviews I red I think CZ is the way to go. Time will tell though.

Ah, I presume spoken by a true blinkered Ruger fan.

I had two Rugers - the last one had all the goodies (I thought that the 1st was so bad that it was a one - off)

Endless jams on both in spite of endless cleaning of the pathetically complicated magazines. Accuracy was very poor to average. You cannot beat a bolt action for accuracy unless you want to delude yourself.

I have had most - yes, CZ's are excellent for the money.

If you want class then get an Annie or Sako - you do pay more but you will get the best - it all depends on how much accuracy you want and how much money you have.

Don

Well I've shot CZ's and Rugers. There's no doubt that a CZ is an accurate rifle, however mr brother in law's 452 is no more accurate that my 77/22 and isn't half as nice looking, feeling or cycling... Also Ruger scope mounts are second to none and the flush-fitting rotating magazine's are a massive plus!

American Ruger owners aspire to be CZ owners - FACT

the CZ is classed as a delux rifle over there and for very good reason.

a $196 rifle is the RUGER! yes that £122.00!!!!! this is the price when you buy them from WALMART!

so what are you buying when you buy a ruger?:good: - An action that you can build a custom rifle from, - Replace the barrel, replace the stock, replace the action, replace the trigger. infact you have nothing left of the original gun since its all ****.

check shooting times review of the ruger 10/22 - 1.5inch groups at 50 yards!

not to mention the jamming the failure to cycle and all the other hassle this rifle comes with.

ask yourself what your buying for £122.00 RETAIL.

Well I've shot CZ's and Rugers. There's no doubt that a CZ is an accurate rifle, however mr brother in law's 452 is no more accurate that my 77/22 and isn't half as nice looking, feeling or cycling... Also Ruger scope mounts are second to none and the flush-fitting rotating magazine's are a massive plus!

Well, all I can say is have a go of an Annie or Sako.

'Flush fitting rotating magazine a massive plus' - I suppose that the flush fitting bit might apply, but what's the point if the damn system don't work properly.

I spent a small fortune on my last Ruger to try and get it right, and as a weapon for the field it was damn useless. After endless jams on my last lamping session (after cleaning both mags before I went) I swapped it the next day at a huge loss on what I had paid for it.

I currently have a Sako Finfire varmint (the most accurate sporter rimmy I have ever tried) and an Annie hmr.

With the Sako head shots at 80 yards are routine, whilst the Annie can do the same at 100 yards and possibly a bit more.

I have had a couple of CZ bolt actions, and apart from the fiddly safety catch there wasn't much wrong with either of them. The finish may have been a bit lacking, but for performance I would highly recommend.

Don

I'll add another vote for the CZ452. I have a 16" Silhouette (like the Style but blued barrel, not nickel) and love it to bits. If you're buying it brand new I'd hold off on the YoDave kit, seems like the new ones have lighter triggers. I ended up using one of the tubes on the sear pin but the trigger was breaking at 2.5lb so left the standard spring in, I saw another post on here where someone bought a new one and had a similar experience with a trigger kit.

As for a flush magazine, If you use a 5 shot one (ie the one you get with the gun) that sits flush with the gun. I have a couple of 10 shot ones but if I'm using a sling and walking around with the gun, I'll use the 5 shot one as it doesn't dig you in the back like the 10 shot ones do.

Personally I'd recommend you go with the 16", no loss of accuracy and much easier when you're jumping in and out of a 4x4. Be wary though some gun dealers seem to add a lot on for the shorter barrel. I was quoted as much as £70 more than the 20/22.5(?) one. The gunsmith I bought it from though quoted £320 for the longer barrel and £340 for the 16"

Edited by Colster

have to agree with glensman here, my 10/22 is second to none, 80 yard headshots arent a problem, longest kill shot was 136 yards, longest target shooting 185 yards, and once i found ammo the gun liked the only time i have a jam is by trying to empty a 30 round mag in less than 3 seconds :good:

so either rugers arent as **** as theyre made out to be, or im an amazing shot :yes:

BUT for a first gun i would advise going for a bolt action, to get to know the ropes, then decide after that :yes: however, i wouldnt advise anyone to go for an anschutz semi unless you have 6 arms and like to spend 3 hours trying to put the damn thing back together again after a full strip down :/

BUT for a first gun i would advise going for a bolt action, to get to know the ropes, then decide after that :yes: however, i wouldnt advise anyone to go for an anschutz semi unless you have 6 arms and like to spend 3 hours trying to put the damn thing back together again after a full strip down :/

:good:

Chill out 10-22 users! Don't be so sensitive!!

A semi will always jam more than a Bolt, it will tend to suffer in the accuracy stakes and it is more awkward to clean than a Bolt.

That said, if you get a good one, look after it and find the right ammo, the difference is hardly worth talking about, and there can also be a bigger grin factor with a semi!

As guns go, there is probably more available to customise a 10-22 than any other rifle and I know several happy owners!

If you wan't to go down the semi route I also hear good things about the CZ511!!

General advice, as has been said by many, you will not go far wrong with a 452 with a SAK on the end and any barrel length!! :good:

i would try the sub sonic ammo. if you are hoping for an effective silencer then hv will still produce the bang as the bullet flies through the sound barrier. if you are target shooting the you will probably find the subs more accurate...the hv stuff tends to be thrown a bit and the groups do expand out at range. you may just have to practive your point of aims as that will be a bit different. i got the cz and it does all i want it to do.

ATB

:mad::)<_<

get a cz 452 american in 16" i've got a varmint in 21" and absolutely love it only little downside is it is a bit heavy with the varmint barrel and bi-pod, i wouldn't bother with a mod if your using high velocity rounds though it won't make them quiet so i'd use subs or save yourself some money on a mod, but if you do want one i'd go for a sako they are really quiet and only £30. i wouldn't bother with a sako rimfire though my oldman had one and i'm not saying anything bad about it but for the extra few hundred £ you only get a slightly better looking/finished gun and no improvement accuracy wise.

Edited by bicykillgaz