opinions

robc89

wher i am in cornwall i dont see as many pigeons as i would like on my permissions. I also think i would benefit from shooting with some experianced pigeon shooters not coming from a shooting family myself. So i am thinking of buying a day somewher?

So my questions are, has anybody bought a day shooting pigeons? if so how was it? how much was it? and was it worth it?

Personally I would pack in pigeon shooting if I had to pay for it on principle alone, yes it is the best shooting sport going be it decoying, flighting or roost shooting but whether taking part in mt Club charity shoots or protecting crops I feel that I am providing a service and should at the least be getting to what amounts to a pest control service free. It is quite understandable that shooters who do not have much opportunity shall be willing to pay for pigeon shooting. As a guide I can quote from an estatre where a "guide" ousted us with a promise to the manager of £15 per gun per day for sole rights, so count on paying at least £30 per day for the privilege.

Blackpowder

So you wouldn't pay for despite this comment?

It's horses for courses, but if you can get it for £1/bird doesn't that represent better value than say partridge shooting at circa £30/bird?

Partridges ain't free though where as pigeons are.

Blackpowder, My sentiments exactly once I have to start paying for pigeon shooting then I will pack it in full stop. I will still be able to look back at all the good days I have had anyway.

they can be Starlight we've a good population of wild greys :good:

But seriously if you haven't got a lot of birds on your doorstep whats wrong with paying to go somewhere that a guide has done all the work for you, found the birds and help you set up properly etc. For a beginner it sounds ideal, after all look at how much you can blow clay pigeon shooting and to me thats far better invested in the real thing

Another briliant example of a post being hi-jacked.

I havent asked if you had to pay for pigeons would you.

I have said i dont see many pigeons on my permissions, Crows galore! I have seen a few websites advertising days on the pigeons, for like £70 they will set you up in a spot wher the pigeons are (if they dont seem to be around they will move you on to somewher else) and let you shoot all day. This seems to me like a good day out, not one i can afford to do all the time but if i did this 3 times a year i think for me and a mate it would be a good crack. Also providing some practise for myself and hopefully my lab.

If i have failed with posting the topic well then i apologise but i was trying to aim it at people who have paid for a day on the pigeons to get their OPINIONS, Not people who are willing to set up a protest on downing street to make sure they dont ever have to pay to shoot pigeons!!

Hi mate,

I WOULD pay to have a day on the pigeons. I live in a funny area where there are some farms, but none grow crops and aren't too happy about shooters on their land. If once or twice a year I can have a day on the pigeons and learn something then I would happily pay for it.

A guy local to me sells Pigeon days on fleabay. They usually go for about £40-£70. Search Pigeon Shooting Day on said sight and see what comes up.

He has a large farm and I see hides all set up ready for the punter. I also see Pickups and Land rovers in the gateways but no Pigeons. Breakfast is included too.

If you fancy your chances at winning one of his days and can make it this far, Cambridge, PM me and I will take you out for nothing.

Do remember that at this time of the year, the Pigeons are always in the next field, the one you can not shoot. I think I may have permission for that next field.

Edited by Jim Sarakun

Another briliant example of a post being hi-jacked.

I havent asked if you had to pay for pigeons would you.

I have said i dont see many pigeons on my permissions, Crows galore! I have seen a few websites advertising days on the pigeons, for like £70 they will set you up in a spot wher the pigeons are (if they dont seem to be around they will move you on to somewher else) and let you shoot all day. This seems to me like a good day out, not one i can afford to do all the time but if i did this 3 times a year i think for me and a mate it would be a good crack. Also providing some practise for myself and hopefully my lab.

If i have failed with posting the topic well then i apologise but i was trying to aim it at people who have paid for a day on the pigeons to get their OPINIONS, Not people who are willing to set up a protest on downing street to make sure they dont ever have to pay to shoot pigeons!!

I think that you should just read the replies to your post and sift out the ones that you dont think are applicable . All members on here are entitled to respond to your thread whether you like it or not . Yes and I am another one who would not pay for pigeon shooting . There are some very experianced pigeon shooters on here who give very good advice , respect it .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

Ok then I see your problem I have heard good and very bad things about paid pigeon shooting.

But the basic fact is our woodie is a wild thing and you can book up with a good guide in good faith pay you hard earned money.

And not see or shoot any more than on your own permission and have paid for it .

If you can live with this fact then go for it we who have permission are very lucky to have the choice to go or not go and not cost us a penny.

And if you do try it book in peak pigeon times like spring drilling time vary from year to year weather etc is a factor.

Or late harvest 2nd week of august onwards once the rape is cut or swathed.

Good luck which ever you choose OTH

have spoke to a couple of local people today and they rekon ther is a guy half hour away from me who does days for £50. I am able to accept the fact the wood pigeon is a wild bird and cant be promised.

I joined this forum as it seemed very informative and seemed like every1 has joined for the same reason, sharing the same passion. I know i am not as experienced as many members here but i can honestly say harnser, i would never disrespect a person passing on knowledge to me and dont understand your need to tell me to.

Thankyou those who have been informative but as for those people who have not, you have demonstrated your ignorance!

I've only ever paid for pigeon shooting once. I may do it again one day. I shoot my fair share of pigeons (around 2,300 last year) so i don't really need to pay for it now. I went shooting with Peter Theobald on a rape stubble around 6 years ago. My cousin and i paid £50 each for the privelege. I might have felt a bit short changed had we not shot over 250 birds between the two of us. Knowing Peter though, he would have not been happy if he hadn't found a good enough situation for us. Now, Peter isn't a commercial guide but if you can find a knowledgable guide who can get you on to a field with a reasonable degree of certainty of a bit of sport, then it may well be worth it. I suppose it largely depends on if you'd feel ripped off if you only had a few shots.

I've only ever paid for pigeon shooting once. I may do it again one day. I shoot my fair share of pigeons (around 2,300 last year) so i don't really need to pay for it now. I went shooting with Peter Theobald on a rape stubble around 6 years ago. My cousin and i paid £50 each for the privelege. I might have felt a bit short changed had we not shot over 250 birds between the two of us. Knowing Peter though, he would have not been happy if he hadn't found a good enough situation for us. Now, Peter isn't a commercial guide but if you can find a knowledgable guide who can get you on to a field with a reasonable degree of certainty of a bit of sport, then it may well be worth it. I suppose it largely depends on if you'd feel ripped off if you only had a few shots.

Motty, you must have a very large freezer!

:yes:

Phil

Like you I don't seem to get many pigeons on my permission.

In fact the majority of the time a bag of 20 is a good day!!

However, I am in the fortunate position that our farmer accepts that our visits may be sporadic due to work (at best once a fortnight) and 20 a fortnight is enough to keep mine and my buddies freezer stocked with birds.

May not be exciting shooting with big bags, but I don't know whether I could keep a permission where the farmer expected me to go more often as work regularly takes me away from home for long periods in the summer.

If you are not getting as much shooting as you would like then paying for it may be the way to go, my only concern comes with the fact that once people catch on we may all end up having to pay or lose our permissions to those who will.

wher i am in cornwall i dont see as many pigeons as i would like on my permissions. I also think i would benefit from shooting with some experianced pigeon shooters not coming from a shooting family myself. So i am thinking of buying a day somewher?

So my questions are, has anybody bought a day shooting pigeons? if so how was it? how much was it? and was it worth it?

If you dont mind the drive I have Pigeons you can shoot 3 or 4 huge Rape Fields - Somerset area

Les :good:

The best day over decoys for me was 21 with 31 shots when I was still at school.

Most of my life has been spent with either no time, because of work, or not enough income to spend on shooting.

Now that has changed, I have been considering the paid-for days option (Legality is doubtful, I know!), just like a roving game-shooting syndicate.

There have been mixed opinions posted on here in the past about paid-for days!

Charges seem to vary, but all seem to be fairly expensive for the bags mentioned in connection with them.

I have got the opinion, perhaps wrongly, that agents/guides reserve the best areas for their favoured few, the sort of people who have a few weeks leave from big money jobs on oil rigs and the like.

Money is certainly king with keepers who sell pigeon shooting.

Edited by rjimmer

If you are in a holiday area, you might be able to swap some sort of accomodation, say a weeks parking for a caravan/camper, in exchange for some shooting with other PW members.

Anybody want to park their camper next to some fishing lakes near Weymouth?

So you wouldn't pay for despite this comment?

No. I feel pigeon has long been the working mans sport, once one farmer gets paid more and more will want paid until eventually it will be out of reach of the rank and file shooter. I willingly pay for the privilege of pheasant shooting at Club and syndicate level, trout and salmon angling permits, but pay to shoot pigeon no chance.

Blackpowder