D&Js?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was shooting pigeon on Saturday with Eley HB Pigeon 32g 6 1/2. I had a load stuffed in my pocket and things were going ok. I reloaded quickly as the pigeon were coming in quickly and BOOM..... I wondered what had happened until I saw the offending orange cartridge on the grass next to me, a rogue D&J from when I had unfortunately bought a thousand a while back.

I dont like them at all and find them a particularly "dirty" cartridge.

Paul.

dont know what you are all talking about i use d & j's all the time when possible and never had a problem at all. as for being dirty so what!! dont you all clean your guns after you shoot any cartridge?;)? whats bein dirty got to do with doing the job?:/

Do you ever read in the papers that soldiers moan about having a good or bad batch of ammo or that their rounds are too dirty.

a bad workman ALWAYS blames his tools.

being able to turn your hand and shoot anything with anything is called being skilled in your shooting. everyone else just wants it on a plate.

make do with what you got and stop moaning

dont know what you are all talking about i use d & j's all the time when possible and never had a problem at all. as for being dirty so what!! dont you all clean your guns after you shoot any cartridge?:/? whats bein dirty got to do with doing the job?:good:

Do you ever read in the papers that soldiers moan about having a good or bad batch of ammo or that their rounds are too dirty.

a bad workman ALWAYS blames his tools.

being able to turn your hand and shoot anything with anything is called being skilled in your shooting. everyone else just wants it on a plate.

make do with what you got and stop moaning

A darn fine post. To many housewifey wimps go shooting! ;)

Nothing wrong with D&Js.......Shoot them at a dustbin at 40 yards and then ask yourself if you'd take its place. Looking up a barrel after firing is fine if you think there is a blockage, but to comment on 'dirt' in a barrel is a bit housewifey!!!

You could say that about the cheapest of cheap cartridges :oops: They would have to be pretty **** to miss a stationary bin.

D&J's for game shooting....no thank you :no:

You could say that about the cheapest of cheap cartridges :oops: They would have to be pretty **** to miss a stationary bin.

D&J's for game shooting....no thank you :no:

It might be just cause I am drunk but I have never had a problem with D&J or any other shell. You will find that quite often any person that is complaining about cartridges is either unable to shoot or they should spend more time at the clay ground. I have shot a lot of pigeons and game with D&J's 7 1/2's and 6's.

Now, i dont claim to know much about shotguns, home loads and the size of your wifes wads, but you lot talk some tosh. Dirty Barrels? :angry: What did you think was going to come out of the cart? the love juice from an angel? sweet jesus man, put your marrigolds away and get your gun in the field. Once finished, clean the bloody thing. Dont moan about a bit of dirt!! (give me strength!) :rolleyes: And as for no good? Look, when you pull the trigger, stuff comes out of the end very, very fast. If your not hitting things, dont blame the carts, take up knitting instead. :rolleyes:

Now, i dont claim to know much about shotguns, home loads and the size of your wifes wads, but you lot talk some tosh. Dirty Barrels? :) What did you think was going to come out of the cart? the love juice from an angel? sweet jesus man, put your marrigolds away and get your gun in the field. Once finished, clean the bloody thing. Dont moan about a bit of dirt!! (give me strength!) :good: And as for no good? Look, when you pull the trigger, stuff comes out of the end very, very fast. If your not hitting things, dont blame the carts, take up knitting instead. :good:

Well said. I clean my shotgun after every outing so what is the probllem if there is a bit of dirt in the barrels. I have in the past blamed cartridges but thats after missing an easy shot :P , seriously if you guys can't hit go to the range.

Now, i dont claim to know much about shotguns, home loads and the size of your wifes wads, but you lot talk some tosh. Dirty Barrels? :) What did you think was going to come out of the cart? the love juice from an angel? sweet jesus man, put your marrigolds away and get your gun in the field. Once finished, clean the bloody thing. Dont moan about a bit of dirt!! (give me strength!) :good: And as for no good? Look, when you pull the trigger, stuff comes out of the end very, very fast. If your not hitting things, dont blame the carts, take up knitting instead. :good:

MM, I love you! :P

I use them all the time for the pigeons, Lumpy ( a bit ) Dirty yes ( i dont mind cleaning me gun ) Effective ( most certainly )

Give them to the likes of Mr George Digweed see how many pigeons keep flying by.

Shooting is all a game of psychology. ie use a cartridge and get on well with it, ie hitting things lol, and its a dam fine cartridge, try a new cartridge and dont have a good day, they are c**p

Same go's for chokes, just another mind trick, gives you something to blame when having a bad day lol

Dont get me wrong im an ardent fan of gamebore, especially on the clays, but in all honesty i have had a good few straights at skeet with all sorts of cheaper carts, you just got to poke them in the right place lol

D&Js are dirtier than a Turkish dockside hooker, kick like a rabid mule, but in fairness will kill well if put in the right place.

When they were cheap and nasty, game on. Now they arent cheap but still nasty, ta but no ta.

ZB

Just how dirty would that be?

I am going to Turkey on me hols this year and need to know if they are worth a look?

only ever used em once and with the third shot the plastic casing came away from the brass head. as it was in a mates s/a it jammed and i thought this was a tad poor of a cartridge, tbh i didnt miss the clays that we wer shootin at with either of the 3 shots but this put me off them. i know use lyalvale which are cheep and reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the misfortune to buy 500 D & J Fibre wadded clay cartridges and was very glad to see the back of them.

The leading in my barrells was phenomenal - even after just 50 rounds.

It took a ridiculous amount of rodding with a turk's head brush to get it out every time. I have never seen anything like it. I think on one occasion I even resorted to putting the cleaning rod in the chuck of my cordless drill - well lubricated with Parker Hale 009 - and used that very slowly and carefully. I normally use Young's 303.

The first 6-10 inches ahead of the chamber were almost entirely covered in leading - in fact that might be the answer because by the time a 28g load made it out of the barrel it was probably 10g lighter !

I only ever use fibre wads for various reasons and am used to having to use the phosphor-bronze spiral brush on leading just in front of the chamber, but these were unbelievably bad. Never again !